Can a MAGA candidate actually become Governor of New York?

Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 4:18 pm

Why Isn’t Kathy Hochul Running Away With Her Race for Reelection?

Quote:
Is Kathy Hochul, the Democratic governor of New York, really going to lose? Recent polls show a shockingly tight race between Hochul, who replaced the disgraced Andrew Cuomo last year, and Lee Zeldin, a Republican congressman and proud Donald Trump supporter. In one recent Quinnipiac University survey, the two candidates were just four points apart. Other pollsters have the race even tighter.

It goes without saying that a Hochul defeat would be a gutting loss for Democrats in New York—even the progressive flank that has long been wary of her. Zeldin is no George Pataki. He’s not even a relative moderate in the mold of Charlie Baker or Larry Hogan, two Republicans who led blue states while distancing themselves from Trump. Though he represents a Long Island swing district, he voted against certifying the 2020 election results. He was an early, enthusiastic Trump supporter and has never, at any point, recanted. He is a fiscal and social conservative; he celebrated the overturning of Roe v. Wade and has said he’d appoint a “pro-life” state health commissioner.

Given all of this, how is Zeldin nipping at the heels of Hochul, who governs a state that last voted for a Republican presidential candidate in 1984—a state that handed Cuomo a 24-point win in 2018? There is a confluence of factors, some particular to Hochul and others far beyond her control. It should be stated, plainly, that Hochul is still likely to win. Democrats far outnumber Republicans in New York, and Zeldin would need to strongly outperform past Republicans in deep-blue New York City to overcome Hochul’s advantages. She still has far more cash on hand—almost $11 million, at the last filing—and the support of every major labor union and elected official in the state. All of this is incredibly difficult for Zeldin to overcome.

But the Trumpian congressman is, Ron DeSantis–style, tapping into the current zeitgeist. He is a disciplined backlash candidate who has, from the start, spoken to anxieties over inflation and rising crime. While murders and shootings are down in New York City, burglaries, grand larcenies, and subway crime are all up, and on the news every night. There are middle-class Democrats, especially in the outer boroughs, who are going to vote for Zeldin on November 8. Zeldin has disingenuously blamed the crime spike on 2019 state bail reform laws; crime is up across America, including in red states—but the message, echoed by the tabloid media and TV, is working. Hochul herself weakened the laws, which partially ended cash bail, earlier this year. Moderates and conservatives don’t care. The national environment for Democrats at the moment is dismal, and Hochul is going to pay some kind of price for that.

Also, Zeldin is campaigning enthusiastically in ways Hochul simply is not. He shows up in New York City, on Long Island, and upstate. He courts the press, left and right alike. Right-wing super PACs are helping him compete with Hochul’s spending advantage. The governor, meanwhile, had been content with a Rose Garden strategy, making relatively few public appearances in the five boroughs. She has been slow to activate any kind of get-out-the-vote network and there is little in the way of a grassroots push—few lawn signs, volunteers, or even contacts from the campaign.

Granted, Cuomo campaigned in a very similar way. The difference, however, was that Cuomo was very well-known. His father had been governor for 12 years. He lived in Westchester County but was a familiar commodity in vote-rich New York City, particularly in working-class Black and Latino neighborhoods. White moderates liked him too. His imperiousness and vengefulness came in handy come election time. because few community groups, labor unions, or elected officials wanted to cross him, creating a unified front against any Republican rival. Zeldin has been able to meet with neighborhood organizations that never would have humored him if Cuomo were governor. They would’ve been terrified of reprisals from the executive office.

Hochul, meanwhile, hails from the Buffalo area and has not done enough to build connections in New York City. As Cuomo’s lieutenant governor, she visited often, but the media didn’t pay attention.

Most importantly, perhaps, Hochul has offered no overarching narrative or message for this campaign. Much of it has been a muddle. Cuomo was more of a brute party boss than a political talent, but even he understood that he had to tout certain accomplishments or make promises before seeking another term. Hochul has done little of either. When I asked her campaign recently what she wanted to do with the next four years, she had a nonspecific answer—and few voters could tell you what she did in 2021 or ’22. Hochul can tout a relatively successful budget—funds for public schools were boosted in an unprecedented way—and she does, at least, talk up luring a semiconductor chip factory to Syracuse. Her taxpayer giveaway for a Buffalo Bills stadium was, from an economic development standpoint, an absolute policy failure—but it is something that can probably pull votes out of Erie County.

If Hochul has something going for her now, it’s that more ordinary voters are aware of a tightening race. Democrats will probably be less complacent.

If Hochul somehow loses, there’s a chance she could drag down the State Senate Democrats with her, either significantly thinning the majority or handing control back to the Republicans. Such a scenario would be a disaster for working-class tenants who rely on Albany to safeguard housing laws or anyone seeking an abortion in this state, as a Governor Zeldin moves to slash state funding to clinics.

This article is from a very progressive source The Nation but I found it for the most part straight analysis that was pretty spot on.

The one thing the article surprisingly left out is that while Hochul is technically the incumbent she is an “accidental” governor due to Cuomo’s resignation.

Despite its liberal reputation crime has always been an effective political issue in New York for Republican conservative types. Way back in '69 Mayor Lindsey a liberal would have lost had not the law and order opposition been split between two candidates. Of course, Guliani was elected and reelected solely on the basis of the crime issue. Bloomberg a kind of conservative was helped by having the safety issue in the front and center in the post 9/11 years.

The combination of the BLM related riots and the pandemic destabilized things and the streets of the city are noticeably more menacing. While crime is not anywhere near what it was in the 60s through the early 90s for older New Yorkers the increased menace is triggering bad memories and they are not keen for "the bad old days" to come back, and it is a new thing for younger New Yorkers who grew up in a safe city. Progressives have come out with a number of studies saying the recidivism rate has not changed much since the bail reform law took effect. Be that as it may, that is being ignored because the bail reform law took effect then the crime rate went up and it makes "common sense" that the reform caused the increase in crime.

I mentioned Guliani. The Guliani who was mayor while infuriating civil rights activists was not the all in MAGA Guiliani of today. If Zeldin comes as close as the polls suggest never mind winning it would represent a radical change in the politics of this state.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 30 Oct 2022, 8:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.

The_Walrus
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

30 Oct 2022, 6:16 pm

On one hand, it would be great if a Republican government in New York led to the abolition of rent control, a policy which favours the "haves" over the "have nots".

On the other hand, there are so many bad things somebody like Zeldin could do.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 6:59 pm

There seems to be indiscriminate animosity towards all important women in the Democratic Party. Hillary, Harris, Pelosi, Ocasio-Córtes, Whitmer, etc. Don't mention any of them in a typical bar without invoking some sort of misogynistic stereotype. I can't prove it but if NY had a male Democratic governor he'd have a lock on reelection.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

30 Oct 2022, 7:21 pm

We've got something similar going on here in Washington, with a GOP challenger giving Patty Murray a run for her money in what has long been a snooze of a senate race. I don't want to jynx it, but the signs of a red wave are multiplying.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2022, 9:52 am

The_Walrus wrote:
On one hand, it would be great if a Republican government in New York led to the abolition of rent control, a policy which favours the "haves" over the "have nots".

I hope you were being sarcastic here?

In case you were being serious, and to anyone here who actually agrees with the statement quoted above:

Here in NYC at least, the abolition of rent stabilization would cause a MASSIVE homelessness crisis. And it would NOT cause an increase in the supply of rental housing. The main factor limiting the latter is not rent stabilization, but restrictive zoning laws.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2022, 8:44 am

It seems like The Walrus could have been sarcastic.

I feel like Zeldin will give Hochul a pretty good challenge----but I do believe Hochul will prevail in the end.

Indeed, if they get rid of Rent Stabilization, there will be a crisis of massive proportions. Nobody but the rich would be able to live in most of Manhattan and parts of the nearby Outer Boroughs. The "market rate" is something like $3-4,000 a month even now.

Actual Rent Control is actually quite rare in NYC.

One can't go within a 30-mile radius of New York City, and find a rent of under $1,000 a month for a one-bedroom apartment.

OGMacgyver
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Nov 2022, 4:57 am

Its amazing how out of touch with reality some people are. Several candidates are being electorally threatened because of the barbaric conditions their policies have created. Legalizing crime including looting and murder, out of control homeless populations, millions of illegals coming over the southern border(some with Fentanyl), CRT, drag queen striptease dancing in front of kids, kids being taught sex and encouraged to get sex change operations and other gender insanity. Besides that they've taken America's energy independence, pushed inflation to 40 year highs and destroyed people's 401ks and other retirement money.

But many don't see any of that because they're obsessed with phantom racism, abortion and Trump.

I'm sure there's one or two things I'm forgetting.

Some parties are about to get wiped out because they've basically abandoned all common sense and logic.

Last edited by Cornflake on 02 Nov 2022, 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.: De-fanged some generalised attacks on members

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2022, 7:08 am

Can an AOC, Squad-type candidate actually become governor of Texas?

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2022, 4:44 pm

OGMacgyver wrote:
Its amazing how out of touch with reality some people are. Several candidates are being electorally threatened because of the barbaric conditions their policies have created. Legalizing crime including looting and murder,

No one, no place has been "legalizing crime including looting and murder."

There have been recent crime waves in many cities for various reasons, mainly having to do with pandemic and its consequences. But, here in NYC, in 2021, we recently elected, as mayor, a Black Democratic former cop, Eric Adams, who is very much a law-and-order person.

OGMacgyver wrote:
out of control homeless populations,

The main cause of homelessness these days is restrictive zoning laws.

Unfortunately, both the Republican and Democratic parties are dominated, at the local level, by real estate interests and homeowners who feel that they are entitled to eternally skyrocketing property values, thus keeping housing unaffordable for vast numbers of people.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 2:52 am

MaxE wrote:
There seems to be indiscriminate animosity towards all important women in the Democratic Party. Hillary, Harris, Pelosi, Ocasio-Córtes, Whitmer, etc. Don't mention any of them in a typical bar without invoking some sort of misogynistic stereotype. I can't prove it but if NY had a male Democratic governor he'd have a lock on reelection.

That's why people voted for Trump. They absolutely, positively could not stand the idea of a female president.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 5:04 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
MaxE wrote:

That's why people voted for Trump. They absolutely, positively could not stand the idea of a female president.

But I don't see Republican women facing any sort of prejudice whatsoever.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 5:34 am

Is the MAGA virus infecting the minds of progressive New Yorkers?
Does the CDC need a new vaccine :lol:

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 11:47 am

MaxE wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
MaxE wrote:

But I don't see Republican women facing any sort of prejudice whatsoever.

The Trump Party is a fascist cult that doesnt care about having women like Marjorie Taylor Greene or black people like Herschel Walker in power just as long as they swear loyalty to Trumpism and are all for destroying any progress we made as a democracy.

And it's not that unusual to have certain people who should really know better support fascism. Even the Nazis had a few Jewish supporters until it came back to bite them in the ass. Sigmund Freud was known to be a sympathizer.

Mona Pereth
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2022, 4:12 am

cyberdad wrote:

New York has never been 100% progressive. Far from it. Even New York City itself is far from 100% progressive. The rest of New York State, even less so.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2022, 6:02 am

Mona Pereth wrote:
cyberdad wrote:

New York has never been 100% progressive. Far from it. Even New York City itself is far from 100% progressive. The rest of New York State, even less so.

Interesting....

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2022, 3:49 am

Apparently Not
Newsday
93.31% PRECINCTS REPORTING
Kathy C. Hochul
DWF
52.73%3,022,429 votes

Lee M. Zeldin
47.27%2,709,903 votes

Zeldin has not conceded, while this race has been called but results were delayed from his home county

But that was way closer than it should have been and I am now going to be represented in Congress by a MAGA. It was an open seat that flipped.

Meet The Midterm Candidates Who Attended The Jan. 6 Rally - FIveThirtyEight

Quote:
Santos, a Wall Street investor, is the Republican nominee for an open seat representing this district, which spans a northwest part of Long Island. Santos has said he was “at the Ellipse on Jan. 6” and called the crowd (some of whom went on to break into the Capitol building) “amazing,” but he has more recently called the riot “a dark day in America” and refused to provide details about where he was during the attack.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman