Page 1 of 1 [ 15 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2022, 9:59 am

Autism support group changing name to remove reference to autism

Quote:
A provincial organization tasked with helping children with autism prepare for school is changing its name to remove the reference to the developmental disorder.

Autism Intervention Services, which has the provincial contract to provide preschool autism services, is changing its name to Viva Therapeutic Services.

Danielle Pelletier, the organization's CEO, said the change was made in part because of stigma around the words autism and intervention.

We did not want people … that get help to be known by a label," said Pelletier. "We wanted … to have a name that would reflect our culture and the work that we do."

Pelletier said while their service focuses on children with autism, it can also help other neurodiverse people. The organization wanted others to feel comfortable seeking out their services.

In a press release, the organization said the new name represents "life and growth, celebration and joy."

The new name will also allow the organization's branding to remain consistent in both French and English.

Aaron Bouma, a Woodstock autism advocate who was diagnosed with the disorder when he was three, said he applauds the spirit of moving to a more inclusive name but has concerns in this case.

He questions the need to remove autism from the group's name and said he has never been stigmatized by the word.

"Taking the word autism out of it kind of defeats the purpose of what they're doing and their support, who they're supporting" said Bouma.

Bouma is also concerned that removing the word autism from the name may make it more difficult for parents who are looking for support to find the services they need.

Pelletier said the name change fits in with best practices in the field of autism support services that are moving away from branding with labels like autism and intervention.

She said the push for the name change also came from the people her group serves.

I knew this would happen eventually(sigh). Lets break this down

the change was made in part because of stigma around the words autism and intervention.
By giving into the bullies all they are accomplishing is increasing the stigma around those words.

We did not want people … that get help to be known by a label
This in modern parlance is called Autism denialism. Too many of us have heard this all too often.

Pelletier said while their service focuses on children with autism, it can also help other neurodiverse people.
Then change your name to “Neurodiverse Intervention Services”

In a press release, the organization said the new name represents "life and growth, celebration and joy."
Huh?

She said the push for the name change also came from the people her group serves
That would be snowplow parents. I am pretty confident the preschoolers were not consulted.

Viva Therapeutic Services Our Approach
Exactly what I expected to find. The “New ABA”, happy talk mask, same old goal of making autistics “indistinguishable from their peers”

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2022, 4:13 pm

The catch all diagnosis of autism is no longer meeting the needs of those diagnosed.

The clip board non biological diagnosis is so wide and impairments numerous both in type & severity that it becomes meaningless.

You might as well put all eye disorders together from those needing light spectacles, glaucoma and blindness all under a spectrum call it the Sight Spectrum Disorder (SSD).

Then those that wear fashion glasses to look intellectual can fight it out with the blind as to if sight loss is a natural difference or not.

They can shout from the rooftops that having to wear their spectacles for driving or computer work means sight loss is nothing for anyone else to worry about as they certainly don't want curing and are against any medical advancement in this area.

- George Bernie Shaw

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

31 Oct 2022, 9:10 pm

Do we have any idea yet what autism is - ie. is the white vs. gray matter and neuroplasticity theories still holding?

This is what's so strange about autism, unless I'm unaware it's like we still don't have a clean ontological story. It's this liminal condition where story goes we're partially shut inside our brains because while we have deep gray matter for processing the white matter bottleneck is debilitating, but it seems like very little else can be said and it's something like a bit over 800 genes said to be involved? When it's that complex it seems like it has to be something more like an experimental adaptation, ie. nature hedging its bets as it statistically does. The trouble is what isn't broken can't be fixed and the best excuse for broken is something being caused by a few simple breaks in the code rather than over 800 genes that may or may not cause autism based on external conditions.

This is where I don't know what to make of that institution changing its name. For that kind of shift I'd hope they had a more practical reason than they cited and that it's actually for the better. My fear is that this could be something like misguided woke (great ideas on paper that lead to crap outcomes) but I don't feel like I can draw enough from this one data point other than that they know they made a controversial choice and they're being evasive accordingly.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2022, 7:54 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
Do we have any idea yet what autism is - ie. is the white vs. gray matter and neuroplasticity theories still holding?

This is what's so strange about autism, unless I'm unaware it's like we still don't have a clean ontological story. It's this liminal condition where story goes we're partially shut inside our brains because while we have deep gray matter for processing the white matter bottleneck is debilitating, but it seems like very little else can be said and it's something like a bit over 800 genes said to be involved? When it's that complex it seems like it has to be something more like an experimental adaptation, ie. nature hedging its bets as it statistically does. The trouble is what isn't broken can't be fixed and the best excuse for broken is something being caused by a few simple breaks in the code rather than over 800 genes that may or may not cause autism based on external conditions.

This is where I don't know what to make of that institution changing its name. For that kind of shift I'd hope they had a more practical reason than they cited and that it's actually for the better. My fear is that this could be something like misguided woke (great ideas on paper that lead to crap outcomes) but I don't feel like I can draw enough from this one data point other than that they know they made a controversial choice and they're being evasive accordingly.

I believe about 25% of autism has an identifiable genetic cause, of which upto 100 different potential genes have been identified ( some people have one gene others maybe more).

The other 75 % the reasons are officially unknown however some clever scientists have identified anti bodies to folinate (vit b9) that leads to insufficient amounts reaching the brain in early development.

(Just google folate antibodies and autism for the relevant scientific papers)

There are probably other causes too.

The causes may be different but the effect down stream is still in the parameters of autism.

Like you could be a victim of an acid attack or just glaucoma but the end result down stream is sight loss.

So basically your looking at multiple autism’s with different severity levels.

So the diagnosis is useless as it tells very little about someone’s needs and potential treatment pathways

- George Bernie Shaw

Edna3362
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2022, 8:21 am

Hmm..
The diagnosticians who diagnosed me didn't write what my diagnosis is on paper, but verbally discussed with parents. This is what happened in my own case.

It was so to 'protect me' from the 'label'. I was diagnosed for over 13 years now.

Off Topic
And sometimes this is quite a headache to negotiate when applying for PWD ID along with it's privilege and services because my diagnosis doesn't have a written name.
I'm just lucky in a way that the office personally recognizes me because of my mom and sped teacher's friends in the offices.

Not that it matters either ways, neurodiversity isn't even a topic that ever brought up in the PWD local circles! Maybe I'll bring it up when I get the chance.

They do not encourage identity based narratives for the same stigma-associating reasons. This is not limited or exclusive to autism.

And I'm not talking about the US or the west.
Or even this thread's support group in question.

What I question is just more about stupid semantics.
More whatever-context and language association because history than whoever's current practice and impact.

But if it's about the practice, then can't people draw the line and distinction between becoming and being a reliable and a productive member of society, regardless of abilities and disabilities, or even the ability to blend in -- from just becoming one of those maskers that solely exists to hide differences for others' comfort regardless of one's reliability and productivity, or even only social skills related for that matter?

But if one would want to include the semantics -- then can they not separate being different and in need of support that the mainstream does not provide (i.e. ignorance and neglect) from being straight up dysfunctional, flawed or morally wrong?

Lose more time here - Updates at least once a week.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2022, 11:34 pm

techstepgenr8tion wrote:

Isn't it better to think of Autism as a collection of symptoms that people have in common, rather than pin-pointing an elusive biological cause, that may not even exist?

Treatment pathways isn't really a thing. Autism has no cure, currently.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2022, 8:28 am

blitzkrieg wrote:
Isn't it better to think of Autism as a collection of symptoms that people have in common, rather than pin-pointing an elusive biological cause, that may not even exist?

How many other 'syndromes' or 'conditions' are quite like this though?

I'm not at all saying that it should be disbanded (a lot of people genuinely need medical and financial assistance, others need some type of home base to come back to and get away from everyone perpetually gaslighting them about what they're going through).

What I mean is it's an incredibly strange situation and, to a large extent, it's framed by NT preferences. It's that last part that makes me feel like there's a big layer of distortion on this whole thing that needs to be peeled back to get an adequate understanding of it.

A big part of this for me as well is the degree to which I had it hammered in to me that this was a social skills and inability to read people condition when, more accurately, it's different wiring. I had that proved to me by attaining said social skills, having loads of NT friends at a given point in my life (albeit a self-selected crowd, plenty of which were relatively or even quite popular in high school) and finding out that social skills and being 'with the times' alone didn't cut it in most environments. This is where I was really forced to look at bullying and pettiness as something like a subconscious kluge for eugenics and it's the kind of thing that would catch someone with a facial deformity immediately but let a diabetic or someone with congenital heart defects sail right through. I don't want to get carried away with unpacking this point but the short version - it seems like we're trying to decide, as a culture right now, whether we both own and act on our eugenic and psychopathic traits or whether we see them as utterly immoral, antithetical to any kind of future we want to have, and treat them as precisely what they are (at least right now that whole thing seems to be locked in stalemate and you have both happening at the same time - more recently with an edge toward psychopathy winning, mainly on the economic climate).

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2022, 8:43 am

carlos55 wrote:
I believe about 25% of autism has an identifiable genetic cause, of which upto 100 different potential genes have been identified ( some people have one gene others maybe more).

The other 75 % the reasons are officially unknown however some clever scientists have identified anti bodies to folinate (vit b9) that leads to insufficient amounts reaching the brain in early development.

The causes may be different but the effect down stream is still in the parameters of autism.

Like you could be a victim of an acid attack or just glaucoma but the end result down stream is sight loss.

So the diagnosis is useless as it tells very little about someone’s needs and potential treatment pathways

It's really interesting that if, as you say, it's a basin of attraction or relatively fixed state that people can end up in from myriad causes, that it's as prolific as it is. Are you saying that the heightened systematizing is biologically rooted or is it something that just comes from social rejection and needing to dead-reckon the world for survival?

I remember Joscha Bach in one of his appearances on Kurt Jaimungal's Theories of Everything said some things about this, and in some ways sort of came out as being on the spectrum, but he described the situation as that you become hyper-analytical because socializing doesn't work naturally - or trying to do what other people do reliably fails - so you're forced to the fallback position of, as I mentioned above, dead-reckoning everything. If that's the case you could maybe say that the adaptation, ie. systematizing to that degree, is an end result.

In your opinion though which parts are more consciously / socially adapted and which ones are the genetic? Also, with the papers that say over 800 genes involved, does that suggest that it's rather a big vector of 'anything that falls outside the NT straight-and-narrow in direction x'? With that many genes involved it doesn't really seem to match anything else that I'm aware of.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2022, 9:03 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
carlos55 wrote:

It's really interesting that if, as you say, it's a basin of attraction or relatively fixed state that people can end up in from myriad causes, that it's as prolific as it is. Are you saying that the heightened systematizing is biologically rooted or is it something that just comes from social rejection and needing to dead-reckon the world for survival?

I remember Joscha Bach in one of his appearances on Kurt Jaimungal's Theories of Everything said some things about this, and in some ways sort of came out as being on the spectrum, but he described the situation as that you become hyper-analytical because socializing doesn't work naturally - or trying to do what other people do reliably fails - so you're forced to the fallback position of, as I mentioned above, dead-reckoning everything. If that's the case you could maybe say that the adaptation, ie. systematizing to that degree, is an end result.

In your opinion though which parts are more consciously / socially adapted and which ones are the genetic? Also, with the papers that say over 800 genes involved, does that suggest that it's rather a big vector of 'anything that falls outside the NT straight-and-narrow in direction x'? With that many genes involved it doesn't really seem to match anything else that I'm aware of.

Autism or more severe autisms are usually diagnosed in early childhood before the adult traumas of rejection are built up.

So the causes are likely biological or genetic

There is no medical proof that Aspergers and Autism are the same type of condition they are just categorized as such because knowledge of the brain is so limited and it was more convenient to lump them all together.

75% of autisms are unexplained so we have lots of unexplained conditions that are just put together because it’s convenient.

The same goes for the comorbids like ID or epilepsy they get separated because it’s easier for clinicians to deal with them that way

But when nearly 40% and 30% of autistic people have ID or Epilepsy can they really be classed as separate conditions?

More likely 40% / 30% of autisms have ID / Epilepsy as a direct symptom so they are very different conditions all together

We see the strange occurrence of those who are severely impaired by their autism celebrate Ellon Musk coming out as autistic.

Ellon Musk has as much in common with them as a grazed knee has with a severed leg.

Hopefully this situation will change and the spectrum will be broken up so peoples needs can be more accurately met

- George Bernie Shaw

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2022, 9:14 am

carlos55 wrote:
Hopefully this situation will change and the spectrum will be broken up so peoples needs can be more accurately met

This is my take as well, ie. syndrome roughly equals slush fund or 'we have no idea'.

I get the sense in our case that something much more complex is underpinning this and it's probably some factor that underwrites biological life in general.

Having 800+ genes lead to the same end point reminds me of the mystery of things turning into crabs from divergent places in evolution, not nearly as extreme as species convergence but similar pattern.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2022, 9:47 am

techstepgenr8tion wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

I'm not at all saying that it should be disbanded (a lot of people genuinely need medical and financial assistance, others need some type of home base to come back to and get away from everyone perpetually gaslighting them about what they're going through).

What I mean is it's an incredibly strange situation and, to a large extent, it's framed by NT preferences. It's that last part that makes me feel like there's a big layer of distortion on this whole thing that needs to be peeled back to get an adequate understanding of it.

A big part of this for me as well is the degree to which I had it hammered in to me that this was a social skills and inability to read people condition when, more accurately, it's different wiring. I had that proved to me by attaining said social skills, having loads of NT friends at a given point in my life (albeit a self-selected crowd, plenty of which were relatively or even quite popular in high school) and finding out that social skills and being 'with the times' alone didn't cut it in most environments. This is where I was really forced to look at bullying and pettiness as something like a subconscious kluge for eugenics and it's the kind of thing that would catch someone with a facial deformity immediately but let a diabetic or someone with congenital heart defects sail right through. I don't want to get carried away with unpacking this point but the short version - it seems like we're trying to decide, as a culture right now, whether we both own and act on our eugenic and psychopathic traits or whether we see them as utterly immoral, antithetical to any kind of future we want to have, and treat them as precisely what they are (at least right now that whole thing seems to be locked in stalemate and you have both happening at the same time - more recently with an edge toward psychopathy winning, mainly on the economic climate).

I agree that Autism is more of a different wiring condition than necessarily being specific to a lack of social skills & inability to read people. Unfortunately, that seems to be the stereotype, even amongst some so called professionals in the field.

carlos55
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2022, 3:26 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
techstepgenr8tion wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

I agree that Autism is more of a different wiring condition than necessarily being specific to a lack of social skills & inability to read people. Unfortunately, that seems to be the stereotype, even amongst some so called professionals in the field.

Always found it annoying when so called experts tried to encourage autistic people to be more social as if this was a choice somehow to be anti-social.

I believe some drug company even recently trialled an inhaler drug for this. I can't really blame ND advocates being angry about stuff like that its built-on ignorance.

Most of our social problems are just a direct result of our brains not working the way we want to.

Make a drug to fix executive function, brain fog and a drug to allow words to be sent from thought to mouth. You`ll then see autistic people are no less social than NTs.

- George Bernie Shaw

traven
Veteran
Veteran

04 Nov 2022, 2:42 am

The Jacques Lacan attack :mrgreen:
its un- believable how followed this pseudo scientist still is in psychoanalitic (and feminist) intitutions

In <i>Fashionable Nonsense</i> (1997), Alan Sokal and Jean Bricmont criticize Lacan's use of terms from mathematical fields such as topology, accusing him of "superficial erudition" and of abusing scientific
concepts that he does not understand, accusing him producing statements
that are not even wrong

Articles universitaires correspondant aux termes j lacan in canada
Autres écrits - ‎Lacan - Cité 947 fois
Jacques Lacan and the Freudian practice of … - ‎Nobus - Cité 227 fois
Jacques Lacan: A feminist introduction - ‎Grosz - Cité 2255 fois
La psychanalyse au Canada, vue du Québec | Cairn.info
https://www.cairn.info › revue-psychanalyse-2007-3-pa...
de A Passelande · 2007 · Cité 1 fois — Prenant pour référence l'enseignement de Jacques Lacan, ils ont travaillé à « la mise en œuvre d'école pour soutenir l'expérience psychanalytique
La psychanalyse au Canada, un bref historique Par Andrew Brook, ... et un enseignement basés sur les travaux du psychanalyste français Jacques Lacan.

Jacques Lacan | Penguin Random House Canada
https://www.penguinrandomhouse.ca › ...
·
The psychoanalyst Jacques Lacan (1901-1981) was one of the twentieth century's most influential thinkers. His many published works include Ecrits and The ...
funny coincident, the critic of JL has been disappeared from wiki- english page

this method was and is the problem in france with autistic children's "treatement" with the academic clampdown on psychoanalictic monopoly
also, a very short summary; Lacan centralises the libido and "jouissance'"
https://www.cairn.info/revue-champ-laca ... age-99.htm --this makes the brain fall out

and btw define autism with psychose
translation 2 paragraph
Following Colette Soler's in-depth reading of the real unconscious, the Other, place of the signifier, of the original and structural, gives way to a-structural language. The contingent of the encounter with the real of the living and the real of lalangue precedes the necessity of repetition and the subject is less under the yoke of the enjoyment of the Other which, for Lacan, can only be the Other sex, than grappling with jouissance One, always real, stupid and solitary, autistic.
-- problem i only find french sources for critics

UNIVERSITE PARIS VIII
ECOLE DOCTORALE PRATIQUES ET THEORIES DU SENS
APPROCHE STRUCTURALE DE L’AUTISME
ET LA PSYCHOSE INFANTILE
https://octaviana.fr/document/16882907X#?c=&m=&s=&cv= recent as 22 :roll:
i see they used google translate, without further corrections, :mrgreen:
new word; new rule , In psychoanalysis, foreclosure (also known as "foreclusion"; French: forclusion)[1] is a specific psychical cause for psychosis,[2] according to French psychoanalyst Jacques Lacan.

I guess Lacan and Intersectionality would give plenty more
one stranglehold rightaway: Toward a Feminist Lacanian Left: Psychoanalytic Theory and Intersectional Politics (year 22)

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2022, 6:21 am

seems to me like this is a marketing move, to open up their therapy group to more diagnoses and widen the scope of the services they provide. They want to bring in more business from other neuro diverse groups as well. Look for the dollars behind such things. Who benefits from this? Call me cynical! $$$$$$$$ is behind a lot of things that happen in this world.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

ilovepalmtrees
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

07 Nov 2022, 10:14 pm

If they want to meaningfully serve autistic people, they should be working to destigmatize autism. As a disabled person, I dislike when people try to tiptoe around the words disabled and disability and replace it with euphemisms like "special needs," "differently abled" and "handi-capable." What you're doing is implying disability is a bad thing or shameful and making disabled people hate themselves. You're the one who needs to get over your discomfort about disability, not us.

That said, this change would make sense if they want to provide services to a broader range of people who may or may not be autistic. In that case, you list in your mission statement or "about" statement the populations you serve, whether it be autistic people, neurodivergent people, or whatever groups you serve. Many companies and organization rebrand themselves. Dunkin' Donuts became Dunkin'. Domino's Pizza became just Domino's. Microsoft Windows changed its logo over the years. I just hope they are rebranding for the right reasons and not because autism is shameful to talk about.