Be Afraid, Be VERY Afraid- The Draft May Be Back.....

Page 4 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2007, 8:27 pm

I know about the Americans taken hostage by the Iranians in 1979 when the Shah was killed, and the Ayatollah took over, and then the US backed Iraq in the fight they had with Iran, but when you consider giving arms to a country (and a despot like Saddam) to fight another country that you are having a fight with, had to come around and bite you on the bum. Maybe people didn't know how bad Saddam was at the time, but surely the CIA, or MI5 or whatever could have been monitoring it. What about the Palestinian conflict then? The only real reason the Yanks are backing Israel is because of some ancient biblical promise (which we don't even know is factual anyway). AND the same goes for Mesopotamia (Babylon) whom Israel (then Palestine because Israel has only existed since 1948) have been fighting since biblical times (possibly legend, not necessarily fact because the Bible may only be a bunch of legends passed down and re-written to be used as a religious/political tool). Still, to me the paramount reason nowadays for the Americans to be there is the oil, I only wish they would come out and admit it instead of running off at the mouth about other issues like WMDs and human rights etc, which to me are only smoke and mirrors.

Oh, Flagg: while flag burning may be part of your amendment on free speech, here it is a gaolable offence, and is considered treason. You can actually be charged with sedition and unlawful disregard for authority. I doubt whether the cops in the 1960s would have thought it was part of free speech either, during those riots and the protests against the tin-pot war in Vietnam.

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.

Macbeth
Veteran
Veteran

11 Aug 2007, 10:56 pm

Quatermass wrote:
Hadron wrote:
*snorts* When will the US learn that quality not quantity counts in wars. They so need to give their current soldiers proper training, part of the mess is the style the American army presents itself in Iraq. If they were trained, like the british, in some form of diplomacy, half the attacks on their soldiers would not happen. I doubt this draft will actually happen though, its too politically unacceptable.

I hope not. And you're right, the Americans seem to think it's quantity over quality. There's American shooting, and then there is British shooting. Americans spray bullets all over the place hoping to hit a target. Brits take a little longer, but it's a couple of shots, and no more. And the British probably have more diplomacy. I'll bet the Aussies over there are making friends too, instead of barking for jumps.

Reminds me of an amusing newsclip i saw about aussie peacekeepers somewhere. An aussie squaddy runs up to a glass office door, yanks on it. the door stays obstinately shut. So the squaddie picks up a breezeblock and hurls it through the glass and steps through the hole. The guy immediately behind him grabs the doorhandle.. and pushes.. the door swings open.

As well as being volunteers, the british army has had a lot of experience dealing with "peacekeeping" activities in northern Ireland, pretty much the longest standing military operation ever. I suspect that the depth of ethnic mixixng in the UK leads to a slightly less "us and them" mindset.

Conscript armies invariably fall apart under stress and pressure. (Consider the Iraqi army itself.) Also, films like Buffalo soldiers are a great example of exactly how poorly indentured troops can perform.. and if the troops who volunteered dont want to be over there, then kids swept off the street... you get the idea.

Doc_Daneeka
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

12 Aug 2007, 12:00 am

wiggerbeater wrote:
How do you figure the Democrats are going to win hugely in 08? Hilary is running away with the nomination, and she has a 50% disapproval rating nationwide. That is with all voters, not just Republicans. I would actually bet on the Republicans to win in 08. The Democrats have terrible candidates.

You know, I'm not just speaking about the presidential election. I think it's extremely likely to be a Democrat, though that wasn't primarily what I was talking about. The Democrats are going to make large gains in congress and the senate in 2008. The senate will be particularly interesting, and already worries the Republican leadership. Two thirds up the seats up for grabs are currently held by Republicans, several of whom appear weak.

Cyanide
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 12:19 am

I doubt it'll happen, but I already have a few ideas of where to flee if the draft does start up and they for some reason decide they want me...Quebec, South Africa and Hong Kong all look good to me.

Pandora
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 10:34 am

I can't see the draft getting up, not after all the protests that happened during the Vietnam war when the US and Australia had conscription.

Hold your heads up high.
"Western Girls" - Dragon

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

12 Aug 2007, 9:22 pm

Yeah, a lot of troubled waters have passed under that bridge since Vietnam, but it still doesn't stop the power-hungry Bush from wanting one last shot at immortality. Why stop at Iraq and getting some sort of proxy US rule there, when the rest of the middle east is just waiting to be plundered by them for their oil? Iran looks like being on the agenda, and don't forget Syria, Jordan etc (anything to protect the Christian motherland). Actually, when you really get down to it, and forget the biblical rubbish about 'promised land', wouldn't it have been better to pick up the whole kit and caboodle of Israel and move them off somewhere else in 1948? They don't seem to care about the neighbouring Palestinians or anyone else, and having a Judeo-Christian enemy planted right in the middle of Islamic territory is asking for trouble. I know you are going to say the Jews were there first, but that's like saying we should give our country back to the aborigines 'cause they were here first. Why should 2% of the population hold the other 98% to ransom, same as a small nation like Israel in a larger Islamic area? And for someone else to want to bomb Mecca and continue the lunacy that the US is carrying on with in the area reeks of total insanity, and should be nipped in the bud forthwith. Lunatics have no place in powerful situations, and it seems that if we don't start to get some sense, things are only gonna get worse, and we may as well be living in bunkers waiting for the fallout to disperse. And war is not the solution, it is the problem.

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.