Be Afraid, Be VERY Afraid- The Draft May Be Back.....

Page 1 of 5 [ 66 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2007, 7:00 pm

http://www.bigpond.com/news/breaking/co ... 002469.asp

Glad I don't live in the US.

On sabbatical...

Hadron
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2007, 7:10 pm

*snorts* When will the US learn that quality not quantity counts in wars. They so need to give their current soldiers proper training, part of the mess is the style the American army presents itself in Iraq. If they were trained, like the british, in some form of diplomacy, half the attacks on their soldiers would not happen. I doubt this draft will actually happen though, its too politically unacceptable.

Metal_Man
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2007, 7:14 pm

This is nothing new. It would be political suicide for any politician that voted for it.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2007, 7:19 pm

Hadron wrote:
*snorts* When will the US learn that quality not quantity counts in wars. They so need to give their current soldiers proper training, part of the mess is the style the American army presents itself in Iraq. If they were trained, like the british, in some form of diplomacy, half the attacks on their soldiers would not happen. I doubt this draft will actually happen though, its too politically unacceptable.

I hope not. And you're right, the Americans seem to think it's quantity over quality. There's American shooting, and then there is British shooting. Americans spray bullets all over the place hoping to hit a target. Brits take a little longer, but it's a couple of shots, and no more. And the British probably have more diplomacy. I'll bet the Aussies over there are making friends too, instead of barking for jumps.

On sabbatical...

10 Aug 2007, 7:46 pm

I honestly believe that When Bush leaves office, which is a little more than 17 months away, the more will most likely come to an end and the troops will be brought home. Its more than likely that our next president will be a democrat.

AutisticOne
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Aug 2007, 7:47 pm

Quatermass wrote:
http://www.bigpond.com/news/breaking/content/20070811/2002469.asp

Glad I don't live in the US.

Nice scare tactics. But no.

AutisticOne
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Aug 2007, 7:49 pm

Quatermass wrote:
Hadron wrote:

I hope not. And you're right, the Americans seem to think it's quantity over quality. There's American shooting, and then there is British shooting. Americans spray bullets all over the place hoping to hit a target. Brits take a little longer, but it's a couple of shots, and no more. And the British probably have more diplomacy. I'll bet the Aussies over there are making friends too, instead of barking for jumps.

Uh huh. I'm sure you have first-hand experience in combat with American forces, and are qualified to make those generalizations. Or it was just something you heard, and decided to pass it on. :roll:

AutisticOne
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Aug 2007, 7:51 pm

Hadron wrote:

Sigh. You're right. If only we had been nicer when bombing and occupying their country, they wouldnt attack us. Those Brits could have really taught us something. They have always been a kind, selfless influence on the world.

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

10 Aug 2007, 8:09 pm

wiggerbeater wrote:
Hadron wrote:

Sigh. You're right. If only we had been nicer when bombing and occupying their country, they wouldnt attack us. Those Brits could have really taught us something. They have always been a kind, selfless influence on the world.

I remember several months ago some one from the UK was claiming their soldiers were doing so much better in Iraq. But at the time even with them being in Basra they still had similar causality rates as the US. The whole deal is Basra has mostly Shiites. Sunni's and foreigners are attacking the US.

JonnyBGoode
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2007, 8:16 pm

Nothing new. And it's not going to happen.

18:33. Press 'Return'

Hadron
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2007, 8:42 pm

wiggerbeater wrote:
Hadron wrote:

If the british empire was still there, i wonder actually where some of these countries within it would be. In some cases they may actually have been better off.

Hadron
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2007, 8:44 pm

TheMachine1 wrote:
wiggerbeater wrote:
Hadron wrote:

I remember several months ago some one from the UK was claiming their soldiers were doing so much better in Iraq. But at the time even with them being in Basra they still had similar causality rates as the US. The whole deal is Basra has mostly Shiites. Sunni's and foreigners are attacking the US.

Because the americans shot at us, its called friendly fire. And also, until violence spread from the US controlled areas, there wasnt a problem. It was the US who let things degenerate so far.

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2007, 10:07 pm

Funny thing is, it seems to me that a little thing like oil started it in the first place. Bush said it was about WMDs, but none turned up? Surprised? Not me. And what about the debacle in Afghanistan; sure, they got rid of the Taliban, but the ones who really did the damage were the Northern Alliance. The Americans still couldn't get Bin Laden, and are still targets when the terrorists shout Jihad. The reason us Aussies copped it in Bali was because the terrorists were going after the Yanks who were there, and the Brits copped it in London because Blair jumped into bed with Bush. Now, you would think that they would have learnt from Vietnam that sending cannon-fodder to fight a war they are never going to win is pointless (you can even go back to the Tuskogee airmen of WW2, but at least they achieved something, in a way); but as people have said, Bush just wants results, and he doesn't give a stuff who he has to walk over to get them. We are having an election here soon, and Howard seems to be on shaky ground in the polls, and the Opposition have promised to pull our guys out, but only time will tell. Gee, I'd hate to be a soldier, though, ordered to fight in a war I didn't necessarily believe in, just because the president or PM got a metaphorical stick up their bum and decided they were 'mad as hell and they weren't gonna take it'. For Christ's sake, use some diplomacy and talk (unless you have a dweeb like Alexander Downer, our foreign affairs minister which means you are stuffed) and try to work something out without using all these kids as cannon-fodder just to prove a point. The cold war is over, you Americans are the only super-power left, Iraq can't do anything more than kick sand in your face, so what is the point?
Cut out this military penis envy and do something constructive, otherwise we know how we'll be spending the next 20 years; underground in a bomb-shelter waiting to see if it's safe to come out.

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.

Quatermass
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2007, 10:22 pm

Hmm. Two sets of Bali bombings, remember? We're lucky we haven't had any major ones actually succeed in Australia. (Probably means ASIO is doing a decent job)

On sabbatical...

TheMachine1
Veteran
Veteran

Location: 9099 will be my last post...what the hell 9011 will be.

10 Aug 2007, 10:45 pm

Hadron wrote:
TheMachine1 wrote:
wiggerbeater wrote:
Hadron wrote:

Because the americans shot at us, its called friendly fire. And also, until violence spread from the US controlled areas, there wasnt a problem. It was the US who let things degenerate so far.

The US created the entire situation an never should have gone to war with Iraq. Post WWII history does not have alot of examples of another country successfully invading and completely defeating another nation. Its usually a bad idea. Its something that should never be tried unless it critically needed and total war will be used.
The very ideal that one nation thinks they could accomplish such a mission is the very arrogance that usually leads to defeat.

The_Chosen_One
Veteran
Veteran

10 Aug 2007, 10:46 pm

Yeah, that's right the 2002 one with 88 killed and the one after that. Also funny is the thing that if Bush senior had done the job properly in the early 90s, Junior wouldn't have had to go in in '03. All they needed was a CIA agent to go in disguised as an Iraqi national, pose as a cameraman for Al Jazeera and hide a high powered rifle in the telephoto lens of his camera (the CIA have such devices, surely). All he would have had to do is get one shot off while Saddam was in a crowd and BANG, no more trouble and no reason to fight the latest conflict. Unfortunately for a lot of soldiers (US and others) nobody thought of it, and the war went ahead. Who knows, maybe the Cole might not have been bombed, and the WTC might still be standing, but we will never know, will we...

Maybe Junior could explain, but whether it'll be intelligible will be anyone's guess.

Karma decides what must happen, and that includes everyone.

Last edited by The_Chosen_One on 10 Aug 2007, 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.