Poles are Vulcans, Ukrainians are Romulans, and RUS is Borg

Page 1 of 2 [ 22 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2022, 6:12 pm

I am a Pole, I just came up with the idea that the nation of Poland, my nation are Vulcans, Ukrainians are Romulans, and Russians are Borgs (because they assimilate every neighboring nation by force), But what can be seen from the example of Ukraine, "resistance is not futile" :D

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Nov 2022, 9:13 pm

I like comparing the national animals of every country to the house sigils of Game of Thrones myself. I'm nerdy like that. :nerdy:

England's Lion, Russia's Bear, America's Eagle, and China's Dragon. All competing for the Iron Throne of Global Domination! :king:

https://youtu.be/s7L2PVdrb_8

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Nov 2022, 1:34 am

You mean we put our own animosities aside when threatened by a common enemy?
Well, we do.

But I don't find the parallel particularily acurate. Both "Vulcans" and "Romulans" have been assimilated by "the Borg" in our history - survived and never want it again.
That's not how it was in Star Trek.

Also, knowing a number of Ukrainians, I find cultural differences between us much less significant than between Vulcans and Romulans. They're just like us a few decades ago (I mean, getting out of the post-Soviet crap took them longer), only now they got a war on a top of it.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

OGMacgyver
Butterfly
Butterfly

02 Nov 2022, 3:03 am

pawelk1986 wrote:
I am a Pole, I just came up with the idea that the nation of Poland, my nation are Vulcans, Ukrainians are Romulans, and Russians are Borgs (because they assimilate every neighboring nation by force), But what can be seen from the example of Ukraine, "resistance is not futile" :D

Klingons are Vikings. Bjorians are Jews. So what does that make Cardassians? Iran? Palistine? Although, if any of those money stereotypes were true, then Ferengis would be Jews. I always thought Romulans were Russians. Vulcans could be the U. K..

Sorry for the tangent, I couldn't resist.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2022, 7:45 am

It makes the Cardassians into a gaggle of vapid Beverly Hills bimbos whom we are all expected to "keep up with" for some reason. :lol:

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2022, 5:54 pm

OGMacgyver wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:

Klingons are Vikings. Bjorians are Jews. So what does that make Cardassians? Iran? Palistine? Although, if any of those money stereotypes were true, then Ferengis would be Jews. I always thought Romulans were Russians. Vulcans could be the U. K..

Sorry for the tangent, I couldn't resist.

I think Bajoran are Poles/Jews and Cardassians are Germans to be more precise Nazi Germany :D

Speaking of which
Kim Cardassian i couldn't resist too :lol:

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

02 Nov 2022, 8:31 pm

The Russian commies, massing themselves as commies often do, seems like an apt character parallel of the fictional Borg from Star Trek.

The Russians often cite the collective as more important than the individual, the same way the Borg do.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 3:32 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
The Russian commies, massing themselves as commies often do, seems like an apt character parallel of the fictional Borg from Star Trek.

The Russians often cite the collective as more important than the individual, the same way the Borg do.

My point exactly! :D

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Nov 2022, 3:40 pm

But I wouldn't call Poles Vulcans.
Just look at our political scene and public debate - lots and lots of emotions and practically no logic...

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 3:49 pm

pawelk1986 wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:

My point exactly! :D

8)

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2022, 5:42 am

magz wrote:
Just look at our political scene and public debate - lots and lots of emotions and practically no logic...

You are quite right in this, especially since our government, our Poland, on the one hand, closes Polish coal mines, if they still close those that are not profitable, but they do not close the Krupiński mines, which still has plenty of coal resources, and on the other hand, Poland buys more coal in the world markets, so that we have something to warm up for the winter, where is the sense and logic here?
ChGW? :D

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Nov 2022, 6:37 am

pawelk1986 wrote:
magz wrote:

You are quite right in this, especially since our government, our Poland, on the one hand, closes Polish coal mines, if they still close those that are not profitable, but they do not close the Krupiński mines, which still has plenty of coal resources, and on the other hand, Poland buys more coal in the world markets, so that we have something to warm up for the winter, where is the sense and logic here?
No idea - the whole coal mess surfaced only now but why in the first place did they close the mines without reducing use of coal, thus making a coal-rich country dependent on coal import?
And when it all happened and we knew we had to sanction Russia - why didn't they increase domestic production in active mines? They had time since March to prepare for this winter!

I know coal is passe because climate but we have to reduce its consumption to make things better, not close our mines and import from China to burn the same amount plus transport.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2022, 7:02 am

magz wrote:
pawelk1986 wrote:
magz wrote:

No idea - the whole coal mess surfaced only now but why in the first place did they close the mines without reducing use of coal, thus making a coal-rich country dependent on coal import?
And when it all happened and we knew we had to sanction Russia - why didn't they increase domestic production in active mines? They had time since March to prepare for this winter!

I know coal is passe because climate but we have to reduce its consumption to make things better, not close our mines and import from China to burn the same amount plus transport.

That my point to!
Exactly my fellow aSpie Polish compatriot

Sometimes i have thought our country is run by a bunch of The Bills :P :mrgreen:

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

08 Nov 2022, 7:38 am

If it's any comfort, Germans screwed up their energetic policy as well.
I'm afraid that generally, the "logic" to get political support and the logic to get things done are too often not the same.

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2022, 7:56 am

magz wrote:
If it's any comfort, Germans screwed up their energetic policy as well.
I'm afraid that generally, the "logic" to get political support and the logic to get things done are too often not the same.

Yes you right that, so sad and depressing being ruled by this the bills :(

pawelk1986
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2022, 8:00 am

And it's just our politicians not not only in Poland but in the world in general to listen to this guy :D