Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

SocOfAutism
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 11:19 am

Okay so my son has ADHD and anxiety, but he's also got this issue that I feel like should be called something. It must be some kind of disorder I haven't heard of, or it's an expression of a disorder and I just don't know enough.

Here is an example of what he's doing:

A few months ago, he started disliking the Barney Bear cartoons in his morning cartoon shows. He didn't get the humor and they were boring to him. Then he started leaving the room and shouting when Barney Bear came on. Then he starting covering the screen on his computer or the TV if he saw a bear. Then he started covering the word bear if he saw it. He started shouting if we said the word "bear".

He does this with many things. He started doing it at 3 with his own name. We used to call him by his middle name and had to switch to his first name. He doesn't seem to ever desensitize from something once he has a problem with it. It's not only words, it is sometimes specific sounds as well. He does the same thing if one of our three dogs licks his paws. He doesn't notice if the other two lick their paws. He can't tolerate the sound "sh", the sound "an", or the sound, "rr". There doesn't seem to be a pattern.

He has been tested twice for auditory processing disorder and doesn't have it. His hearing is normal. Not above or below average. I have wondered if it is misophonia or sound-emotion synesthesia, but I don't know if either of these would count since it happens when he reads the words or sounds as well.

Does anyone know? Ideas?

slave
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2022, 2:30 am

I'm certainly stumped. I think your idea about a synesthesia and the misophonia angle is smart. It could be. Idk.

I'm sry to hear this is happening to all of you.

The adjective that comes to mind is fixation. There seems to be a sensitization in the attention area of neurological function. If feasible, a NeuroPsychiatrist might be helpful, as they serve the complex gray areas between the disciplines of Neurology and Psychiatry. Perhaps an OT specialized in Sensory Processing/Modulation Disorder may be helpful.

Let us know how this situation plays out. I wish you all the best.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Jan 2023, 7:54 am

Seems likes an aspect of autism to me.

I’m sorry you, and he, are going through this.