Page 1 of 1 [ 16 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 2:43 pm

Netanyahu set for comeback with far right's help

Quote:
Former Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is on the brink of a dramatic comeback, after partial results showed he was on course to win a majority in parliament with the far right's help.

With 90.7% of votes from Tuesday's election counted, Mr Netanyahu's bloc is set to win 65 out of 120 seats.
"We are close to a big victory," he told jubilant supporters in Jerusalem.

However, he will be dependent on the support of the ultra-nationalist Religious Zionism party.

Its leaders, Itamar Ben-Gvir and Bezalel Smotrich, have gained notoriety for using anti-Arab rhetoric and advocating the deportation of "disloyal" politicians or civilians.

Mr Ben-Gvir was a follower of the late, explicitly racist, ultra-nationalist Meir Kahane, whose organisation was banned in Israel and designated as a terrorist group by the United States. Mr Ben-Gvir himself has been convicted of incitement to racism and supporting a terrorist organisation.

Last month, Mr Ben-Gvir hit the headlines when he was filmed pulling out a gun after being targeted with a stone while visiting the flashpoint Palestinian Sheikh Jarrah district of occupied East Jerusalem, and calling for police to shoot the culprits.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Mr Ben-Gvir promised to "work for all of Israel, even those who hate me".
After exit polls were published on Tuesday night, supporters of Religious Zionism gathered in Sheikh Jarrah, shouting taunts and throwing stones towards Palestinian areas.

Mr Netanyahu, accompanied by his wife Sara, appeared at his Likud party's election night venue at 03:00 local time (01:00 GMT) on Wednesday to thunderous applause.

"We have won a huge vote of confidence from the people of Israel," he told his cheering supporters.

Hours earlier, when the exit polls predicted that Mr Netanyahu's bloc would win 61 or 62 seats, the room had been a scene of celebration as people jumped up and down, waved flags and chanted his nickname, Bibi.

With Meloni winning in Italy and indications pointing to a midterms "red wave" in America we might have a trend.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 2:50 pm

It's a disturbing trend for sure.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Nov 2022, 3:43 pm

I wonder what it means in practice. What decisions will be made.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 3:46 pm

Does one realize that these stones are usually thrown using slingshots? Can't blame the man! Stones are just as dangerous as bullets!

I am not saying that what the man stands for is right. I am saying that I understand how he has become like that and who are we to criticize as we do not live where they do so we are not always having to watch we are not killed. People don't realize this.

Last edited by Mountain Goat on 03 Nov 2022, 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 4:02 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Does one realize that these stones are usually thrown using slingshots? Can't blame the man! Stones are just as dangerous as bullets!

I am not saying that what the man stands for is right. I am saying that I understand how he has become like that and I think the people who write these articles need to spend time living in Israel to see what it is like to be a Jew.

What about what it means to be a Palestinian? Do you ever consider how they feel?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Nov 2022, 4:11 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
What about what it means to be a Palestinian? Do you ever consider how they feel?

Probably not happy. According to my news feed, rockets have been launched from Gaza Strip. Which makes things only worse for everyone, themselves included :(

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 4:26 pm

I'm often afraid to comment on what goes on in Israel with the way they treat the Palestinians because I've been labelled as an anti-semite by some just for expressing sympathy for a group that is being oppressed while the world ignores their plight (much like the Uyghurs in Xinjiang).

But on the other hand I kinda understand where the Zionists are coming from. After surviving the Holocaust they were glad to be given their historic homeland back and will do anything to keep it protected. In a way it's like they must have a kind of collective PTSD.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 4:37 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

I am not saying that what the man stands for is right. I am saying that I understand how he has become like that and I think the people who write these articles need to spend time living in Israel to see what it is like to be a Jew.

Did you know where the majority of the Palestinians who live there now come from?

One thing I know for sure is never accept what the news tells you and ask those who live there or who have been there, both in Israel and in the surrounding areas.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 4:48 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:

Did you know where the majority of the Palestinians who live there now come from?

One thing I know for sure is never accept what the news tells you and ask those who live there or who have been there, both in Israel and in the surrounding areas.

Yeah sorry, I don't buy the "All news and history is fake unless The Orange One says otherwise" theory.

And frankly I do not care if the Palestinians were not technically there first.

Americans obviously werent the first ones to inhabit the USA and yet nobody uses that argument to promote ethnic cleansing of Americans in order to give all the land back to the Native Americans.

And do not even get me started on the fact that the only reason most American Christians even support Israel is not because they actually respect Jews but because they believe in some bogus doomsday prophecy that they are determined to make come true at any cost.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 4:54 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I'm often afraid to comment on what goes on in Israel with the way they treat the Palestinians because I've been labelled as an anti-semite by some just for expressing sympathy for a group that is being oppressed while the world ignores their plight (much like the Uyghurs in Xinjiang).

But on the other hand I kinda understand where the Zionists are coming from. After surviving the Holocaust they were glad to be given their historic homeland back and will do anything to keep it protected. In a way it's like they must have a kind of collective PTSD.

Don't be afraid to comment. All is fine.

I think the very best perspective is to look neutrally so one can gather info from both sides.

All is good. (Hope I don't come over as too strong when I give the other perspective. The thing is none of us wants people killed on any side but the situation is beyond us to be honest).

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 5:02 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

I think the very best perspective is to look neutrally so one can gather info from both sides.

All is good. (Hope I don't come over as too strong when I give the other perspective. The thing is none of us wants people killed on any side but the situation is beyond us to be honest).

You're right, it really is sad but beyond anything we can really do. This is why it's foolish for Western powers to try and intervene in the affairs of other countries.

In the US our founding fathers warned us about getting entangled in foreign affairs. But nobody listened in the long run and despite this being the most peaceful past century in human history things are getting worse in other ways around the world and sooner or later the SWHTF.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 5:12 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

You're right, it really is sad but beyond anything we can really do. This is why it's foolish for Western powers to try and intervene in the affairs of other countries.

In the US our founding fathers warned us about getting entangled in foreign affairs. But nobody listened in the long run and despite this being the most peaceful past century in human history things are getting worse in other ways around the world and sooner or later the SWHTF.

UK has as well. Not saying all was neccessarily bad, but some deals between countries should never have happened.

If there is any country I would say is a real one to be careful of today is China.

Last edited by Mountain Goat on 03 Nov 2022, 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 5:42 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Mountain Goat wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

UK has as well. Not saying all was neccessarily bad, but some deals between countries should never have happened.

Out of interest, the USA is the ONLY country I know of which has military bases right around the world.

Something else I will mention is that there is Christianity and there is following Christ, and the first can mean anything, and some of what is called "Christianity" today has nothing whatsoever to do with God or the Bible. I am telling you this so you understand that not everything labelled as "Christian" is what it seems.

Yeah I know... Not all Christians are bad people. I guess my own prejudices towards them comes from issues I dealt with growing up around certain bigots in the South who called themselves Christians. But ironically I hate seeing Christians being put down everywhere for their spiritual beliefs (at least the ones who truly believe in The Golden Rule). it's not just Christianity I became disillusioned with all religions but I also became disillusioned with atheism too. Plus I uses to think of myself as a Wiccan and realized Wiccans aren't all "love and light" like the internet claims. Some can be just as judgemental and dogmatic as the Christians I know and are all about causing drama. The woke movement has kinda ruined the Wiccan and Neopagan community too...

But that's a human nature thing I guess.

I'm a very strange individual who believes every religion has some spiritual truth to it but I limit myself to no god or gods. Though as a practicing 'witch' I sometimes work with specific deities as part of my eclectic belief system.

And I even started taking an interest in the mystical side of the Bible and Jewish Kabbalah. Magic can be found in anything literally. :heart:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 5:58 pm

Apologize for ammending posts as is a habbit because I try to shorten things as I can write too much. Haha!

I can see you are exploring many avenues and do not make decisions without putting thought into it. This is rare these days I feel. I pray you will find the right path for you.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 6:05 pm

Mountain Goat wrote:
Apologize for ammending posts as is a habbit because I try to shorten things as I can write too much. Haha!

I can see you are exploring many avenues and do not make decisions without putting thought into it. This is rare these days I feel. I pray you will find the right path for you.

Lol its fine, and thank you! :heart:

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

03 Nov 2022, 6:13 pm

Welcome. :)