Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Will future technology have a positive impact for ASD individuals?
Poll ended at 05 Nov 2023, 12:04 pm
Yes 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
No 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
Possibly, will depend on the drawbacks 56%  56%  [ 5 ]
Total votes : 9

knowingtheautist
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker
Yellow-bellied Woodpecker

21 Jan 2023, 1:52 pm

Hello Wrong Planeteers!

Hop on to my Aspie Discovery rover! Ever thought more about future trends that can benefit ASD individuals' skills and well-being in terms of education, future careers, social life, etc.

- There is positive hope as future technology is coming that is favoring them including Virtual Reality training programs that will give them virtual hands-on motivation that favors their learning, Augmented Reality where you can capture real world objects with your smart phone, etc.

- Robot technology Artificial Intelligence that target skills associated with autism

- Nanobots that can hopefully provide a cure to autism

- 3D printing of artificial organs or tissue that can repair damage or treat disorders better

- Digital biology

Visit http://www.futuretimeline.net to learn more and please vote and comment

Don't forget to keep an eye as I will be posting more topics in the future. Look out for my Aspie Discovery red diamond icon on Wrong Planet.

Good luck!

Joe90
Veteran
Veteran

18 Feb 2023, 11:26 pm

I like the nanobots curing autism. Obviously nobody will be forced to be cured but I certainly will want to be. Even if it's just the social performance part, where I can make friends with my NT peers.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2023, 7:56 pm

My thoughts...

Autism is a difficult one because it is so intergrated with ones personality and ones character that the benefits of correcting certain traits that may cause issues could change the individuals character as well which I do not see as a good thing.
What I mean by this is that (Assuming I am on the spectrum when I get to be assessed) I would refuse to be treated due to the fear that my character would change. I would rather suffer shutdowns then risk being someone I am not.
I fully understand those who want a cure. I guess it depends on how autism effects the individual and to what extent.
I am very cautious about new medical technology as the more things progress, the more sinister the potential use of new technology can become. Already they have the technology to project thoughts into ones brain via brain implants. What they can't do (Had a conversation at a hospital with an expert about this while having an EEG) is read ones mind, as I was petrified about this while having an EEG incase dubious thoughts came my way! (It much amused the staff when I asked before they put the tab things onto my head!)

The problem is that I do not really trust the intentions of the ones who are investing in the new technological advancements as they tend to be the same ones who are also behind world de-population which may "Seem" to some as a good plan (As no one wants things to get too crowded) but has indirectly involved murder which I can not agree to, so how can one trust that the technology is developed and used in the interests of the individual rather than the interests of the pharma industry? Already in courts individuals can be "Owned" by some of these big companies because the company has placed devices within the individuals body, and when it came to court (In the USA) the judge ruled that the individual had a choice and that the item placed inside their body (Which could be anything from a pacemaker or knee joint to a simple vaccine) was owned by the company and that the company had the rights over the individual to the use of that item and the "Say" in where the item can ot can't be used. This opened up the gates to a potential new form of modern slavery which is one that many are concerned with today.

So it is a big question as to how far one goes between being healed with the new technology and retaining ones character and ownership.

DanielW
Veteran
Veteran

07 Mar 2023, 8:00 pm

I'm pretty sure we won't survive to see "Star Trek" era science and medicine. If anything, more and more people are eschewing science and logic for something that "feels right" to them after they "do their own research". At least I won't be around to see the exodus back to the caves.