Page 6 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2023, 10:16 am

How Being Neurodiverse Affects Your Relationship With Money

Quote:
Money management can be tough for anyone. And one-size-fits-all financial advice can leave neurodiverse (also called neurodivergent) people who are struggling with their finances feeling stigmatized, or at a loss for how to control their finances.

But financial wellness is possible, by leaning on resources that target the neurodiverse community and making strategic use of financial tools.

How neurodiversity affects your finances
The neurodiverse community has a wide variety of needs and strengths, and that’s also true when it comes to money management. And even neurotypical people struggle with their finances. Getting support may help you better navigate finances in ways tailored to your specific needs.

“Most people tend to have a lack of understanding when it comes to their finances,” certified financial planner Elizabeth Yoder said. She is director of financial planning at Planning Across the Spectrum, which provides financial services to neurodiverse folks and people with disabilities.

“I find that neurodiverse people tend to have similar difficulties to everybody else, but in different ways," she said. “For example, some neurodiverse people may have trouble with ‘future thinking,’ trouble thinking about why they should be putting money in savings and how.”

Some additional financial challenges might include:

Having trouble remembering to pay your bills on time.

Spending impulsively.

Procrastinating when it comes to non-preferred financial tasks, like budgeting.
Having trouble understanding complex financial planning.

Job security can also be at stake.

She notes that some neurodiverse people may need to take a lot of time off from work, especially if they have other disabilities, which affects their ability to earn a steady income.

And the high cost of health care can also limit financial well-being

How can you improve your relationship with money?
When you’re neurodiverse, community can be a big resource for getting your finances in order. You don’t have to tackle financial wellness alone, and opening up a discussion may provide reassurance about where you stand.

“People who are neurodiverse sometimes think that they are worse off than they actually are,” Yoder said. She notes that often her neurodiverse clients are more on top of things than they give themselves credit for and that improvements are often made once they feel empowered to ask for help.

Here are some additional strategies to help you improve your finances.

Use technology to make things easier
If you struggle with forgetfulness, procrastination or are generally overwhelmed by staying on top of your bills, automating bill payments can help, provided uneven cash flow doesn’t put you in danger of overdrafts.

If it’s hard for you to have a clear picture of all of your savings goals within one account, consider categorizing them. “Some banks allow you to create savings buckets without opening new accounts,” Yoder said. That way you don’t have to try and wrangle multiple accounts and can instead create categories like “travel” or “emergency fund” within one account.

“Make sure that things are easier for you, consolidate accounts where possible, consolidate multiple 401(k)s and get everything in one place,“ she said.

Don’t force yourself to use tools that don’t resonate with you
Not every financial tool or piece of advice will work for everyone. “If a certain financial tool doesn’t work for you, move on from it,” Yoder said.

Acknowledging that something doesn’t work for you can be an important step in taking charge of your finances.

Ask for accommodations
“We are set up in a world where adults get shamed for needing accommodations, so be honest with yourself and understand the accommodations that you need to succeed,” Davis-Pierre said.

In everyday life, asking for accommodations might look like getting someone to write out instructions for something like filing taxes in a way that makes the process easier for you.

Find support
Lean on resources that support the neurodiverse community. Try searching for community-support groups for neurodiverse individuals in your area.

Support can also come from working with financial organizations that center neurodiverse people, like Planning Across the Spectrum, or with a financial therapist.

Additional resources ranging from job help to government assistance and general information on neurodiverity.

Neurodiversity Employment Network.
Neurodiversity Career Connector.
Employer Assistance and Resource Network on Disability Inclusion.
Government Benefits.
The Americans with Disabilities Act.
Different Brains.
The Color of Autism Foundation.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

17 Mar 2023, 1:35 pm

^^^ this is good stuff.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

Location: was Louisiana but now Vermont in the police state called USA

18 Mar 2023, 5:09 am

auntblabby wrote:
ok, is SSD better than SSI? which one is better to have?
Disability is definitely better for me & probably most others. SSI gets reduced by one dollar for every two you earn before taxes. It also gets reduced by how much unearned income you have & there's restrictions on resources. SSI is a poverty program so they want you to be dirt poor to receive anything. You couldn't have more than two thousand in assets when the program started & that amount has never went up to compensate for inflation.

Disability mostly cares about earned income. Hypothetically I could win the powerball jackpot lottery & still keep disability as long as I still have my disabilities & no earned income like from employment. If I actually did get that lucky, I would donate my disability to a group fighting to protect the program like maybe Social Security Works(seems kinda ironic & fitting :wink: ) & then I'd wake up from my dream :( Disability payments are based on how much you & your employers have paid into the program from your Social Security taxes. I could earn a little from work(not sure how much, I should try looking that up) & my disability would actually go up if my Social Security taxes are being paid. With disability I also have Medicare after being disabled a year & since my income isn't much higher than SSI, I qualify for the state Medicare Extra Help program where Medicaid pays my Medicare costs & I have Medicaid as my secondary health insurance. With SSI I just had Medicaid & no docs in my area would accept it but that may have been cuz I was living in Louisiana at the time.

"Hear all, trust nothing"
~Ferengi Rule Of Acquisition #190
https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Ru ... cquisition

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 5:20 am

nick007 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
ok, is SSD better than SSI? which one is better to have?
Disability is definitely better for me & probably most others. SSI gets reduced by one dollar for every two you earn before taxes. It also gets reduced by how much unearned income you have & there's restrictions on resources. SSI is a poverty program so they want you to be dirt poor to receive anything. You couldn't have more than two thousand in assets when the program started & that amount has never went up to compensate for inflation.

Disability mostly cares about earned income. Hypothetically I could win the powerball jackpot lottery & still keep disability as long as I still have my disabilities & no earned income like from employment. If I actually did get that lucky, I would donate my disability to a group fighting to protect the program like maybe Social Security Works(seems kinda ironic & fitting :wink: ) & then I'd wake up from my dream :( Disability payments are based on how much you & your employers have paid into the program from your Social Security taxes. I could earn a little from work(not sure how much, I should try looking that up) & my disability would actually go up if my Social Security taxes are being paid. With disability I also have Medicare after being disabled a year & since my income isn't much higher than SSI, I qualify for the state Medicare Extra Help program where Medicaid pays my Medicare costs & I have Medicaid as my secondary health insurance. With SSI I just had Medicaid & no docs in my area would accept it but that may have been cuz I was living in Louisiana at the time.

so many pofolk living in the south where they are treated like 3rd class citizens. i wonder what would make them desperate enough to leave there with just the shirts on their backs and never look back?

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

18 Mar 2023, 5:22 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
I was gonna check the page for links but when I went to the site there was a popup wanting me to pay for a membership that I could not close. I tried blocking it with Adblocker & now the site won't load for me. Kinda hard for me to take the site seriously if they're gonna charge neurodiverse people a membership for info that may help them.

RandoNLD
Toucan
Toucan

19 Mar 2023, 7:03 pm

I only use a desk lamp for lighting when money is tight and only use water as needed, especially when job hunting. I would suggest mass transit for getting around, if possible (fuel prices for personal transportation has been cheaper in some places). Where food is concerned always use membership discounts at checkout and apps like 2 Good 2 Go help save money and prevent food waste.

MatchboxVagabond
Veteran
Veteran

31 Mar 2023, 5:40 pm

Years back, I had a coworker who opted to be homeless. He had a full time job that paid more than minimum wage, but as it was explained to me, he had a thing for homeless women. It's definitely not a great way of coping, but I bet it is effective. He had a job, so he did have the ability to rent a room when weather was rough or to wash up.

My wife's family tends to do a combination of renting out spare rooms and lying their backsides off about how they're doing financially.

Personally, I took a grocery store gig to go back to school when a combination of the pandemic and my autism got in the way of getting my teaching certificate. I may well give it another go now that I realize why I was being treated so poorly. I'm a great educator, I just might need a bit of extra help in terms of navigating the women's club that is modern primary and secondary education.

There's potentially a bunch of ways of legitimately making money on the side, I'll have a 2 year accounting degree by the end of the year and a book keeping certificate doesn't take anywhere near as long and there's usually a need for people to keep the books in order for the accountants.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2023, 12:16 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
How Being Neurodiverse Affects Your Relationship With Money
Quote:
Money management can be tough for anyone. And one-size-fits-all financial advice can leave neurodiverse (also called neurodivergent) people who are struggling with their finances feeling stigmatized, or at a loss for how to control their finances.

But financial wellness is possible, by leaning on resources that target the neurodiverse community and making strategic use of financial tools.

How neurodiversity affects your finances
The neurodiverse community has a wide variety of needs and strengths, and that’s also true when it comes to money management. And even neurotypical people struggle with their finances. Getting support may help you better navigate finances in ways tailored to your specific needs.

“Most people tend to have a lack of understanding when it comes to their finances,” certified financial planner Elizabeth Yoder said. She is director of financial planning at Planning Across the Spectrum, which provides financial services to neurodiverse folks and people with disabilities.

“I find that neurodiverse people tend to have similar difficulties to everybody else, but in different ways," she said. “For example, some neurodiverse people may have trouble with ‘future thinking,’ trouble thinking about why they should be putting money in savings and how.”

Some additional financial challenges might include:

Having trouble remembering to pay your bills on time.

Spending impulsively.

Procrastinating when it comes to non-preferred financial tasks, like budgeting.
Having trouble understanding complex financial planning.

Job security can also be at stake.

She notes that some neurodiverse people may need to take a lot of time off from work, especially if they have other disabilities, which affects their ability to earn a steady income.

And the high cost of health care can also limit financial well-being

How can you improve your relationship with money?
When you’re neurodiverse, community can be a big resource for getting your finances in order. You don’t have to tackle financial wellness alone, and opening up a discussion may provide reassurance about where you stand.

“People who are neurodiverse sometimes think that they are worse off than they actually are,” Yoder said. She notes that often her neurodiverse clients are more on top of things than they give themselves credit for and that improvements are often made once they feel empowered to ask for help.

Here are some additional strategies to help you improve your finances.

Use technology to make things easier
If you struggle with forgetfulness, procrastination or are generally overwhelmed by staying on top of your bills, automating bill payments can help, provided uneven cash flow doesn’t put you in danger of overdrafts.

If it’s hard for you to have a clear picture of all of your savings goals within one account, consider categorizing them. “Some banks allow you to create savings buckets without opening new accounts,” Yoder said. That way you don’t have to try and wrangle multiple accounts and can instead create categories like “travel” or “emergency fund” within one account.

“Make sure that things are easier for you, consolidate accounts where possible, consolidate multiple 401(k)s and get everything in one place,“ she said.

Don’t force yourself to use tools that don’t resonate with you
Not every financial tool or piece of advice will work for everyone. “If a certain financial tool doesn’t work for you, move on from it,” Yoder said.

Acknowledging that something doesn’t work for you can be an important step in taking charge of your finances.

Ask for accommodations
“We are set up in a world where adults get shamed for needing accommodations, so be honest with yourself and understand the accommodations that you need to succeed,” Davis-Pierre said.

In everyday life, asking for accommodations might look like getting someone to write out instructions for something like filing taxes in a way that makes the process easier for you.

Find support
Lean on resources that support the neurodiverse community. Try searching for community-support groups for neurodiverse individuals in your area.

Support can also come from working with financial organizations that center neurodiverse people, like Planning Across the Spectrum, or with a financial therapist.

Additional resources ranging from job help to government assistance and general information on neurodiverity.

Neurodiversity Employment Network.
Neurodiversity Career Connector.
Employer Assistance and Resource Network on Disability Inclusion.
Government Benefits.
The Americans with Disabilities Act.
Different Brains.
The Color of Autism Foundation.

I've heard there are specific services available from accountants and financial advisors for people with ADHD.
As far as I know, they're covered on disability insurance meaning ASD/ ADHD might be eligible.

I had a wee breakdown a couple of months ago and asked my financial advisor for disability support.
He and his partner have gone out of their way to help me navigate the bureaucracy of disability services.
I'm referring to savings and discounts from utility companies, etc.
I already have an RDSP and Disabilities tax credit.
They're helping me with everything from a monthly budget to applying for subsidies.

nick007
Veteran
Veteran

01 Apr 2023, 5:33 am

MatchboxVagabond wrote:
Years back, I had a coworker who opted to be homeless. He had a full time job that paid more than minimum wage, but as it was explained to me, he had a thing for homeless women. It's definitely not a great way of coping, but I bet it is effective. He had a job, so he did have the ability to rent a room when weather was rough or to wash up.
My girlfriend has a disabled brother who had periods of chosing to live in his car in order to get out of debt. He couch-surfed at my girlfriend's apartment & with other relatives when the weather was very bad or to visit & hangout on weekends. He had a part-time job & was on various benefits but he's very irresponsible with money sometimes & sometimes makes very impulsive decisions. Being homeless was his method for spending less money when overwhelmed with debt even thou some of his benefits got reduced or stopped. His overall spending was a lot lower paying nothing for rent, electricity, cable, video-games, & other such things so he caught up on all his debt after a while.

I'd imagine it would be easier to attract a homeless person if you had your own place but on the other hand your probably a lot more likely to meet one if your homeless or have a volunteer job helping the homeless. Thou I knew a few women online who were sorta couch-surfing & a couple were interested in moving in with me if I woulda had my own place or if my parents woulda let me have someone move in.