Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Nov 2022, 9:00 am

I was diagnosed with Aspergers in 2005. As I've explained in other topics, this diagnosis has had a bad impact on my life and was used just to cause harassment and distress. I can't stop thinking about whether I should get a second opinion.

After the amount of upset my Mother's meddling caused me, there is nothing that would satisfy me more than to have a consultant psychiatrist tell her I don't have AS.

In the event that I have something else, perhaps I have some disease which is actually curable? If it turns out I do have AS, then fair enough.

Unfortunately though, if the AS diagnosis is removed or changed, I'm not going to get the last 17 years of my life back.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2022, 3:55 pm

You've not explained why you think the diagnosis might be wrong just that you don't like it.

Do you have any reasons to believe you are not Autistic?

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Nov 2022, 10:11 pm

It is difficult to say.

The diagnosis was done mostly for political reasons.

It is possible that the social anxiety could be a diagnosis in its own right and not part of AS.

I have also suffered from depression since 2006 which doesn't help matters.

So its really difficult to say whether any symptoms I have are related to AS or not.

ThisTimelessMoment
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Nov 2022, 1:35 am

Doing anything to get back at your mother is NOT going to make you feel any better, unfortunately.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2022, 6:03 am

Everybody has a right to a second opinion.

If you do that you need to do that for the purpose of getting the right diagnosis not the diagnosis you want. If the diagnosis is not ASD great, if not while disappointing it can still help you learn about yourself if you are open to it.

As others have said this has to be about you not her. You are an adult.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Nov 2022, 1:17 pm

It does indeed need to be about me. I just don't know what to do. Nothing will get me the last 17 years of my life back, and I think enough damage has been done that I don't have much of a future.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2022, 9:32 pm

steve30 wrote:
It does indeed need to be about me. I just don't know what to do. Nothing will get me the last 17 years of my life back, and I think enough damage has been done that I don't have much of a future.

You can not bring the last 17 years back but a better understanding of yourself might mean a better future than you think.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman