Zoo Atlanta will allow people to carry guns after gun rights

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

06 Nov 2022, 9:27 am

https://www.gpb.org/news/2022/11/02/zoo ... challenges

Look, I don't care if you want guns. Great. But can't those of us who don't want to be around them in some places have the right to not be around them?

The Zoo here (I live in Atlanta) is like a giant playground. Kids are running around. I'm not worried about someone bringing a gun and shooting an animal. I'm worried about that person bending over and a kid grabbing it.

I worry about that because it happened to me. I took my kid to a pet store and allowed her to run around. I'm following her around the store and as we turn a corner a guy with a gun on his hip is bending over tying his shoe and I had to grab my daughter's hand before she grabbed it.

In this state, he could have shot her and probably gotten off, claiming self defense. The gun is the only weapon that brings its own legal defense for its usage - "someone tried to grab it so I shot them." You can't say "someone tried to grab my knife so I stabbed them repeatedly."

Even worse, when I asked the guy what his problem was bringing a gun into a pet store with kids running around, he said it was my fault for not watching my kid.

I will let people's responses to that trickle in, but if you side with him - tell me how many kids you have. Because if you actually think I am at fault for letting my kid run around in a pet store, I am betting you have zero experience with kids.

With Zoo Atlanta its even worse. Like I said, its a giant playground. Kids are running around everywhere. And they serve alcohol.

In Atlanta on the public transit, it says "no weapons" and then has an exception for guns. Those are the weapons I am most afraid of someone bringing on to a crowded train!

You want to buy a gun, fine! Waste your money on a $10 of machined metal marked up to $300 or more. But c'mon, lets not normalize people bringing guns to areas kids are running around, especially one that also serves alcohol. This is 2A people going nuts. "Guns allowed at places kids are playing" is pretty much my line here.

I'm sorry but if it takes repealing of the damn 2A to stop that, then I am all for it. We are going to have pictures of gun rights activists walking around the Zoo with their AR-15 slung over their shoulder and Zoo Atlanta will fail because people with kids don't want their kids running around in that type of environment. At the very least I bet they will stop selling alcohol and have to hire more security to make people feel like the open carry types aren't going to gun us down if we bump into their stroller.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2022, 11:59 am

I agree with you, and I just don't feel safe going out in public anymore. And why would the GOP fight so hard to have guns available everywhere (including schools of all places?!) Unless they really are just trying to provoke some sort of shooting war on American soil?

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2022, 1:13 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I agree with you, and I just don't feel safe going out in public anymore. And why would the GOP fight so hard to have guns available everywhere (including schools of all places?!) Unless they really are just trying to provoke some sort of shooting war on American soil?

The GOP is funded by the NRA. If they aren't pushing guns into every gun free zone, the funding stops.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2022, 3:37 pm

This doesn't have anything to do with this?
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2022-11-04/ ... /101618922

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2022, 5:41 pm

stratozyck wrote:

Reading that article, it appears that the ban was recent, so the zoo had been allowing gun carry before, apparently without issue, so all of this outrage seems unfounded.

stratozyck wrote:
Look, I don't care if you want guns. Great. But can't those of us who don't want to be around them in some places have the right to not be around them?

No, that's how rights work, randos don't get a say, whether it's guns, speech, religious garb, or anything else that makes you uncomfortable, that's why they're rights.

stratozyck wrote:
The Zoo here (I live in Atlanta) is like a giant playground. Kids are running around. I'm not worried about someone bringing a gun and shooting an animal. I'm worried about that person bending over and a kid grabbing it.

Can you cite any stories where this happened and someone got hurt? Yes, I see your anecdote below, but I suspect this is akin to worrying about being stuck by lightning on a clear day or shark attacks at the local swimming hole.

stratozyck wrote:
I worry about that because it happened to me. I took my kid to a pet store and allowed her to run around. I'm following her around the store and as we turn a corner a guy with a gun on his hip is bending over tying his shoe and I had to grab my daughter's hand before she grabbed it.

What kind of gun, what kind of holster, and how old was your kid? Most open carriers use retention holsters with some kind of strap or catch that much be released to access the firearm, most of which are designed to be difficult for anyone but the wearer to operate. Further, any sort of double action pistol is likely to have a trigger reach and weight that are inoperable for a young child, in the 8-12lb range, and/or a manual safety catch or secondary trigger safety (the "dingus") in the case of single action or partially cocked striker fired guns. It's not impossible for a kid to rip a gun out of a holster and discharge it, but it's usually harder than most non gun people think.

stratozyck wrote:
In this state, he could have shot her and probably gotten off, claiming self defense. The gun is the only weapon that brings its own legal defense for its usage - "someone tried to grab it so I shot them." You can't say "someone tried to grab my knife so I stabbed them repeatedly."

You absolutely can make the second argument regarding a knife, that you feared for your life as someone was attempting to gain control of it from you and had to use lethal force, and I'm highly dubious that anyone would shoot a child over an inadvertent gun grab, much less get away with it. Got any cites for that claim?

stratozyck wrote:
Even worse, when I asked the guy what his problem was bringing a gun into a pet store with kids running around, he said it was my fault for not watching my kid.

It was your fault, just as it would be your fault if your kid ran out in front of someone driving a car or riding a bike in a place where they're allowed to by law, you do not get to demand that others justify their legal conduct that makes you uncomfortable or that you feel poses a danger to your uncontrolled child. What were you hoping to accomplish by confronting the man for exercising his completely legal right?

stratozyck wrote:
I will let people's responses to that trickle in, but if you side with him - tell me how many kids you have. Because if you actually think I am at fault for letting my kid run around in a pet store, I am betting you have zero experience with kids.

How many guns do you own? You seem to have very strong opinions on them, so it must be a lot.

stratozyck wrote:
With Zoo Atlanta its even worse. Like I said, its a giant playground. Kids are running around everywhere. And they serve alcohol.

How many shootings have there been there by legal carriers over the years?

stratozyck wrote:
In Atlanta on the public transit, it says "no weapons" and then has an exception for guns. Those are the weapons I am most afraid of someone bringing on to a crowded train!

Same question, any numbers for shootings by legal gun carriers on the trains?

stratozyck wrote:
You want to buy a gun, fine! Waste your money on a $10 of machined metal marked up to $300 or more.

LOL, I wish our margins looked like that.

stratozyck wrote:
I'm sorry but if it takes repealing of the damn 2A to stop that, then I am all for it.

So, you want the Democrats to lose even harder, gotcha.

stratozyck wrote:
We are going to have pictures of gun rights activists walking around the Zoo with their AR-15 slung over their shoulder and Zoo Atlanta will fail because people with kids don't want their kids running around in that type of environment. At the very least I bet they will stop selling alcohol and have to hire more security to make people feel like the open carry types aren't going to gun us down if we bump into their stroller.

LOL, what an active imagination you have.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2022, 7:00 pm

I understand kids wanting to run, I understand allowing them a little freedom to run in a pet store or a zoo. I don't understand a kid running up to a perfect stranger and grabbing a gun. Most children are naturally warry or taught wariness of strangers, that's a good thing. You could also teach your child not to run up to anyone they do not know, while you're teaching them not to touch guns. It's worked well for us, never a accidental shot or fatality in a lifetime of mixing kids and guns.

May I ask, what part of this falls to you? Are you responsible for anything regarding child safety?

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2022, 7:07 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
The GOP is funded by the NRA. If they aren't pushing guns into every gun free zone, the funding stops.

LOL, the NRA is bankrupt and so riven by internal scandal that they've barely been a player in recent years, and even at their height they never were a major donor, their power came entirely from being able to direct the votes of the American gun owner simply by putting out guides to who was pro and anti gun. Michael Bloomberg spends more money in a single election cycle pushing gun control candidates than the NRA ever did fighting them.

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2022, 2:44 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:

Because they are aware that Black Operations are involved with the intent of disarming the general population around the world.
If achieved, this gives the behind-the-scenes elite power groups a tighter grip over ordinary Joe Blow.

Welcome to The New World Order. 8)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2022, 5:12 am

The Zoo is being illogical.

Legally this seems to be a slam dunk case. This Zoo is a private company with every right to ban guns on their property. Gun Control opponents would be stupid to sue them. Why are They worried about finances? Gun Control advocates would be running to be the first in line to pay their legal fees. If anything they should be worried about paying damages on the off chance some kids do get shot.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2022, 5:18 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
T

Legally this seems to be a slam dunk case. This Zoo is a private company with every right to ban guns on their property.

The zoo is built on public property, which means the 2nd Amendment is in full effect.

Cornflake
Administrator
Administrator

07 Nov 2022, 11:56 am

! Cornflake wrote:
Once again, several personal attacks and instances of unnecessary aggression have been removed.

This is an online forum, not a chest-thumping contest.
I'd be grateful if something approaching an adult discussion could be resumed.

Unlocked.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2022, 7:43 am

Why must people carry a gun into a zoo, anyway?

Let’s hope people can leave the Charles Bronson mentality out of the equation when it comes to places where kids hang out and run around.