Amy Schumer on Saturday Night Live

Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Minuteman
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

06 Nov 2022, 10:47 am

If you haven't already, watch Amy Schumer's monologue at the start of last night's SNL. Any thoughts?

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2022, 1:47 pm

The part that starts around the four minute mark? When she talks about her husband being on the autism spectrum?

Interesting.

She pokes fun at the topic of "what they used to call 'aspergers'" the way that male stand up comics of the 50's and 60's used to joke about mother-in-laws. Like its just a mundane thing to weave into your talk about married life. Basically normalizes it. Good.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2022, 5:19 pm

Amy Schumer jabs Kanye West with ‘Nazi’ reference on ‘Saturday Night Live’

Quote:
Sharing personal details about her life during her opening monologue, the comedian talked about her husband, Chris Fischer, being diagnosed with autism spectrum disorder.

“It used to be called Asperger’s, but then they found out, this is true, that Dr. Asperger had Nazi ties, Kanye,” she said while jokingly adding, “That was weird.”

She told a common misperception that reason the Aspergers Disorder diagnosis was eliminated was because of Asperger’s Nazi complicity. The reason was that it was felt that ASD’s were being over diagnosed and that the Aspergers diagnosis was the reason why and that there is little practical difference between Autism and Aspergers. Hans Asperger’s Nazi complicity was not widely known during the time Aspergers was being eliminated.

Still it is interesting that 4 years after Asperger’s Nazi complicity became widely reported 2 shows have referenced the issue SNL and Extraordinary Attorney Woo.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Dear_one
Veteran
Veteran

06 Nov 2022, 7:38 pm

I am still looking for a version of that clip that will play in Canada, and presumably many other countries.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2022, 1:02 am

i think she prolly has a good heart.

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Nov 2022, 2:36 am

naturalplastic wrote:

The video is not available. Please find a video that we can actially watch!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2022, 4:59 am

Gammeldans wrote:
naturalplastic wrote:

The video is not available. Please find a video that we can actially watch!

Im in the US. We Americans can all watch what we missed on SNL on the following Sunday morning on UTube.
Every fellow American can see it.

If you're in some other country...I am not Elon Musk. What am I supposed to do? :lol:

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2022, 5:38 am

Actually...

Just now I tried finding an end-run around the national boundary.

Just now tried googling "SNL" first, instead of "Utube" first, and THEN "SNL". Got a good little newsclip about her monologue on ABC news- interspersed with announcer commentary. She managed to cram a lot into her brief monologue, including a dig at Kanye. So its considered newsworthy.

I posted the link to that here just now.

But when I clicked the link from this site myself...all I got was a TV commercial for HarvyParker glass frames...just the ad, and NO other content! :twisted: WTF? Got pissed off, and deleted my post with that link.

There are other News sites with her monologue, but they all get the clip from UTube apparently. So presumably you will get the same barrier.

Maybe someone with more tech savy than I can...pick their pocket...and present it to you all. :)

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2022, 6:17 am

I am pretty certain she would not joke about his traits without his permission. While it may perpetuate stereotypes the fact that she finds them endearing could be a positive.

Between the assumption she had his permission and this this is intended to be comedy I find no reason to object.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman