Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Nov 2022, 2:33 am

Howdy folks!
I hear about groups for people with ASD, ex. a group for people learning the art of cooking or running.
So what the deal with having no NT people in the group? How will that make thing so much easier?

Please explain what this is all about.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

07 Nov 2022, 5:46 am

Gammeldans wrote:
Howdy folks!
I hear about groups for people with ASD, ex. a group for people learning the art of cooking or running.
So what the deal with having no NT people in the group? How will that make thing so much easier?

i don’t know about so much easier but all ASD groups tend to be more tolerant to accepting of your “quirks”. We are not the same but other Autistics tend to understand at least somewhat how you think, your struggles.

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

07 Nov 2022, 8:55 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Gammeldans wrote:
Howdy folks!

i don’t know about so much easier but all ASD groups tend to be more tolerant to accepting of your “quirks”. We are not the same but other Autistics tend to understand at least somewhat how you think, your struggles.

What are "quirks"?

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2022, 12:01 am

Gammeldans wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Gammeldans wrote:
Howdy folks!

What are "quirks"?

Free Dictionary
Quote:
A peculiarity of behavior; an idiosyncrasy: "Every man had his own quirks and twists" (Harriet Beecher Stowe).

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Nov 2022, 2:22 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
Gammeldans wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Gammeldans wrote:
Howdy folks!

What are "quirks"?

Free Dictionary
Quote:
A peculiarity of behavior; an idiosyncrasy: "Every man had his own quirks and twists" (Harriet Beecher Stowe).

And only people with ASD have "quirks"?

rse92
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2022, 12:10 pm

It is very hard to find an in person support group for autistic people. Where I live, there are a number for parents and caretakers of autistic children (I suppose there a a number everywhere), but the one I attend is the only one I could find. It's a group in floating number (4 to 9 at any one meeting) sponsored by a local autism services firm. There is a diversity among the participants as to how profoundly their autism impacts them. I really have practically nothing in common with these people other than my autism. Still, they listen to my problems and struggles, I listen to theirs, and we bond.

I look forward to it very much. I told the executive director that it is the one hour a month I can freely be autistic.

I am so happy to have this group in my life that I joined the board of directors of the organization, and I am the only autistic director.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2022, 9:26 pm

Gammeldans wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Gammeldans wrote:
ASPartOfMe wrote:
Gammeldans wrote:
Howdy folks!

What are "quirks"?

Free Dictionary
Quote:

And only people with ASD have "quirks"?

No

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

10 Nov 2022, 2:29 am

If so, then why would people with ASD be more accepting of the other group members quirks?

Are groups for people with ASD smaller? I mean, we dislike big groups, right?
Actually, I think many people with NT can't stand big groups but they are probably better at dealing with it.

princegeorge99999
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

10 Nov 2022, 8:21 am

Gammeldans wrote:
If so, then why would people with ASD be more accepting of the other group members quirks?

Actually, I think many people with NT can't stand big groups but they are probably better at dealing with it.

have you been diagnosed? i feel like medical professionals recommend support groups. mine did because i felt a lot of shame and denial and they wanted me to work to see that i’m not damaged. this seems like a healthy path forward versus depression and shame. ya know?

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

11 Nov 2022, 2:54 am

princegeorge99999 wrote:
Gammeldans wrote:

have you been diagnosed? i feel like medical professionals recommend support groups. mine did because i felt a lot of shame and denial and they wanted me to work to see that i’m not damaged. this seems like a healthy path forward versus depression and shame. ya know?

I am in a group for people with ASD but it is not easy being a part of the group just because it is an ASD group!

Btw, I don't recall hearing about a support group when I was diagnosed. All I remember was that I told the people doong the dioagnoes that I did not want to play with them dolls and that they looked at how I threw a tennis ball. :x

ilovepalmtrees
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

11 Nov 2022, 12:54 pm

My guess would be autism-specific groups tend to keep a strict routine since autistic people often have difficulty with routine changes.

Gammeldans
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

18 Nov 2022, 2:58 am

ilovepalmtrees wrote:
My guess would be autism-specific groups tend to keep a strict routine since autistic people often have difficulty with routine changes.

What is a stric routine?