Page 1 of 1 [ 10 posts ] 

Carl Friedrich Gauss
Raven
Raven

07 Nov 2022, 2:56 pm

Hi. I discovered that I can multiply 5digits by 5digits in my mind. It takes nearly 10-15 minutes for now. I searched on internet but I can't find any one who does 5digit by 5digit. I wonder have you ever meet someone who can do such thing. I also discovered that I can remember all the cards of a deck, in order.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2022, 10:02 am

Sounds interesting. I found that I could do this for 9s.

9999999999 x 9999999999 = 99999999980000000001

It doesn't seem like this knowledge is important but then as I aged I could see the use. If you put a period in front of the group of nines, you begin to track the speed of light. Therefore

0.9999999999 x 0.9999999999 = 0.99999999980000000001

and

0.99999999999999999999 x 0.99999999999999999999 = 0.9999999999999999999800000000000000000001

As man approaches traveling the speed of light, this equation becomes very important.

Carl Friedrich Gauss
Raven
Raven

14 Nov 2022, 2:04 am

I couldn't see the speed of light. Could you elaborate on please? It seems interesting.

Speed of light :

299 792 458 m / s

Carl Friedrich Gauss
Raven
Raven

14 Nov 2022, 2:08 am

By the way, I liked your photo. Is it real you? If so, you must been very handsome as a kid.

Sigbold
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 2:12 am

Carl Friedrich Gauss wrote:
Hi. I discovered that I can multiply 5digits by 5digits in my mind. It takes nearly 10-15 minutes for now. I searched on internet but I can't find any one who does 5digit by 5digit. I wonder have you ever meet someone who can do such thing. I also discovered that I can remember all the cards of a deck, in order.

I did not meet someone like that. However it seems that the Mental Calculation World Cup includes a part that where you have to multiply two 8-digits numbers.

Carl Friedrich Gauss
Raven
Raven

14 Nov 2022, 6:26 am

Sigbold wrote:

I did not meet someone like that. However it seems that the Mental Calculation World Cup includes a part that where you have to multiply two 8-digits numbers.

Thank you for sharing this information. Maybe I will try in the future.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 10:19 am

By the way, I liked your photo. Is it real you? If so, you must been very handsome as a kid.

That is a real photograph of me when I was just a child. I am 74 years old now but still a child.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 10:31 am

I couldn't see the speed of light. Could you elaborate on please? It seems interesting.
Speed of light :
299 792 458 m / s

One of the coolest things that happens as an object approaches light speed is that time begins to slow down compared to time on Earth, and in fact gets slower and slower the closer it gets to achieving light speed.

This effect is called time dilation. Which basically means that the intervals of time begin to “stretch out” the faster you’re able to go. If you had a clock in your hand and another clock was able to zoom past you at near the speed of light, the clock sliding by you would appear to be ticking more slowly than the clock in your hand.

And this is how, if you were an astronaut who was able to board a ship that could travel at the speed of light, you could spend 20 years exploring the universe and get back home to Earth to find that over 300 years had passed. When you’re up in space hurtling around at light speed, time runs slower for you than it does for everyone back on Earth. Not only would your watch tick more slowly, but your heart rate would slow down, your breathing would slow down and your rate of aging would slow down.

Source: In a Nutshell: What Does Relativity Mean to Time and Space?

Carl Friedrich Gauss
Raven
Raven

14 Nov 2022, 3:08 pm

jimmy m wrote:
Speed of light :
299 792 458 m / s

One of the coolest things that happens as an object approaches light speed is that time begins to slow down compared to time on Earth, and in fact gets slower and slower the closer it gets to achieving light speed.

This effect is called time dilation. Which basically means that the intervals of time begin to “stretch out” the faster you’re able to go. If you had a clock in your hand and another clock was able to zoom past you at near the speed of light, the clock sliding by you would appear to be ticking more slowly than the clock in your hand.

And this is how, if you were an astronaut who was able to board a ship that could travel at the speed of light, you could spend 20 years exploring the universe and get back home to Earth to find that over 300 years had passed. When you’re up in space hurtling around at light speed, time runs slower for you than it does for everyone back on Earth. Not only would your watch tick more slowly, but your heart rate would slow down, your breathing would slow down and your rate of aging would slow down.

Source: In a Nutshell: What Does Relativity Mean to Time and Space?

I took physics at university. And now sometimes I am working on it. Just because the underlying mathematics. And quantum physics is also in my interests. But I don't have much knowledge of it.

As much as I know, it is true that when a mass approaches light speed then its time slows down. This is proved in the past with two atomic clocks. But hypothetically we can not travel with light speed because (E=m×c'2) when you increase mass, to approach light speed, its energy has to go to infinity.
That is why photons (particles of rays) has almost no weight.

I am not an expert but time dilation can be because of entropy. I am just interested in its mathematics. And I don't see "time travel" as possible. There are also some philosophical questions. But I am not going to elaborate on.

Some of my ideas can contradict with some physical "facts". But I am very stubborn for some of my ideas. Maybe one day I can find a revolutionary idea...

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2022, 10:35 am

Maybe one day I can find a revolutionary idea...

Sounds like a good idea. Keep up the good work.

When you look at an atom, there is a lot of space (empty void) between the electrons, protons, neutrons. But as the elements break apart and push together, they can become very, very small in size. They form neutron stars and black holes. Eventually they will even reach a point when these particles themselves (electrons, protons, neutrons) will fracture apart and even become smaller. And at the end of it all comes the BIG BANG.