Anybody actively involved in the 2022 Election?

Page 3 of 3 [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

Aspiegaming
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2022, 2:00 pm

goldfish21 wrote:

..except you literally voted for people not to have the freedom of choice because you think your vote should veto their decision if the majority of voters happened to also vote that way. That's not very freedom loving, IMO.

Even if I didn't vote, it wouldn't have made a difference.

If my darkness or eccentricness offends you, I don't really care.

I will not apologize for being me.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2022, 2:13 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:
Worthless wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:
Legalization of Marijuana in my state won by 65%. Oh well.

"Oh well."? You support people having their lives destroyed, their dogs shot, their children taken away and thrown into foster, their vehicles and houses seized, and them being thrown in cages with rapists and murderers for a plant that has proven medical benefits and has been used by hominids since before we were humans?

Woah, who said I support any of that? CHILL.

Medical Marijuana is okay in Maryland. This was about legalization for recreational use for people 21 and over. The smell gives my dad migraines and I find the smell slightly repulsive. OKAY?

Psssst, "medical marijuana," and recreational cannabis are the exact same thing.. ;) Only differences being strain selections for specific properties depending on a users' needs/wants.

Ok, so choose not to smoke it yourself if you don't want to. There's just little sense in trying to impose your personal decision on others, IMO. Don't like cannabis smoke? Don't smoke cannabis! Don't like alcohol's effects? Don't drink alcohol! But believing you should decide that for other people is ridiculous. IMO. So, I'm glad that the majority of your states' voters decided to choose live & let live freedom of choice. 8)

I'm not forcing my decision on anyone. I simply stated this is what I voted for and why. Then when the results came, I posted them and said oh, I lost? Oh well, I can take it or leave it. The majority will get what they want and I'll deal with it. When I voted, I voted for my family's sake. The worst thing that can happen is I get to listen to my father complain.

Or talk to the neighbor and see if she will smoke on the other end. If you are polite about it, maybe she will be considerate.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2022, 2:14 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:

..except you literally voted for people not to have the freedom of choice because you think your vote should veto their decision if the majority of voters happened to also vote that way. That's not very freedom loving, IMO.

Even if I didn't vote, it wouldn't have made a difference.

:heart: :heart: :heart:

That's the spirit!

It's true, people who are going to smoke it are going to smoke it anyways just as they have for Millennia.

But in this case people voting actually did make a difference.. they voted to get rid of archaic laws that criminalize a behaviour that shouldn't have ever been criminalized in the first place.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2022, 2:19 pm

League_Girl wrote:
Or talk to the neighbor and see if she will smoke on the other end. If you are polite about it, maybe she will be considerate.

Maybe. Some people are reasonable, others not so much.

My older brother's fiancee is unreasonable. She HATES that neighbours smoke marijuana outside "forcing," her to have to close her windows at night. Ummm, no, that's your choice to do that and an easy solution if you don't care for the wafting aroma.

Again, in their case, they have neighbours very nearby. Houses here are about 6 feet apart, something like that, with very small back yards. So, if people smoke outside in their backyard, it's possible it's going to be able to be smelled if your windows are open. So, stfu and close your windows, OR if you don't want neighbours at all, relocate to where you don't have any. I find her ranting about the neighbour smoking far more rude than the neighbour smoking.

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2022, 2:54 pm

Aspiegaming wrote:
Worthless wrote:
Aspiegaming wrote:
Legalization of Marijuana in my state won by 65%. Oh well.

"Oh well."? You support people having their lives destroyed, their dogs shot, their children taken away and thrown into foster, their vehicles and houses seized, and them being thrown in cages with rapists and murderers for a plant that has proven medical benefits and has been used by hominids since before we were humans?

Woah, who said I support any of that? CHILL.

Medical Marijuana is okay in Maryland. This was about legalization for recreational use for people 21 and over. The smell gives my dad migraines and I find the smell slightly repulsive. OKAY?

Then support tickets for smoking in public. By supporting prohibition, you are supporting what I described as that is the current system. Just because you don't explicitly mention the consiquenses of prohibition doesn't make them not exist. This isn't magic where the illegal item just doesn't exist. Prohibition means destroying the lives of real people for possessing "contraband".

Also, currently medical marijuana is illegal federally, so everyone who sings up for their state's medical program is seen by the feds as commiting a crime. They therefore automatically loose their gun rights among other things.

Aditionally, the line between medical and recreational use is purely a regulatory distinction, same with the line between industrial hemp and marijuana (THC concentrations of less or more than .03% THC by dry weight is the dividing line for what the feds consider legal hemp).

Edit: Aditionally, the Maryland medical marijuana system, as with most of these systems, takes months for a patient to first get medicine from the time the start the application process. There are many patients who do not have that long to live from when they are diagnosed with a terminal condition. In those instances, there may as well not be a medical system because they will not live long enough to be approved to use it.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2022, 3:42 pm

JustFoundHere wrote:
Over the past three-weeks, my efforts in participating in the 2022 Election were done via Internet / social media. That Collective effrots of online participation alone makes a difference.

Does anybody live in (or traveled to) places with competitive Senate, House, and Governor's Races to assist in campaigning?

For people on the Autism Spectrum who devoted their time, and efforts to in-person efforts e.g., door-to-door canvasing, I ofter congratulations - esp. considering that politics are all too ripe for some very scary social situations.

Any-type of participation offered experiences to well....step-out of our comfort zones - experiences valuable to social-skills well beyond this election.

Remember, collective efforts of in-person participation makes a difference!

Since my occupation is in data analysis, digesting, and better understanding political dynamics came quite readily - I even felt there were times I breifly transcencended the "Autism Spectrum!"

Personally, I found online participation to be of value - digesting the political dynamics, handling feedback, boosting critical thinking, multitasking, etc. etc. offered that important challenge I've been seeking for awhile.

Regardless of how we participated in election efforts, experiences yielded might just prove beneficial from now, and into the future, and might just make the world (a however small) better place!

It seems best to a.) Review the purpose of this discussion thread on the 2022 Midterm Election, b.) Experiencs viewing election results via MSNBC's terrific analysis, and delivery by Steve Kornacki. c.) Thoughts / analysis on the post Election Day landscape.

Why did this discussison-thread develop into such a tangential dynamic? Why such apathy? At very least, dissatisfaction with politics must translate into votes for Third-Party (esp. Libertarian) Candidates in order to act as a spoiler to the GOP Candidates. The Liberbtarian might just have helped elect PA. Senator John Fetterman in such a s close, contested Seante Race.

Any thoughts on elected PA Senate candidate John Fetterman? Despite his stroke, he will a terrific addition to the Senate - Anybody find Fetterman as an excellent example for people concerned with the Autism Spectrum??

Instead, the tangential dynamic, peppered with apathy, in this discussion-thread seemed-like "a spoiler of sorts!"

And speaking of spoilers, one of the four ballot choices for the 'North Carolina (NC) Senate Race' may have acted as a spoiler for the Democratic Candidate who lost that race. The NC Senate race included a Liberartian Candidate that got just over one-percent of the vote, and the Green Party Candidate (the spoiler) made-up less than one-percent of the vote.

Politics can be daunting to digest. Former Moderate "rank-and file" Republicans formed 'The Lincoln Project' - 'The Lincoln Project' seemed to have been an overlooked ally to help-out the Democrats via efforts to defeat many Right-Wing Conservatives. Much of my online efforts this election were promoting selected 'Lincon Project' ADs.

To close, I've met people on the Autism Spectrum, who I stronlgy feel that they, like myself, are hopeful the Democrats (Newly elected Senator Fetterman as one example) will play more important roles.

Can an ample percentage of adults on the Autism Spectrum become an important particpating political demographic?

P.S. Thank-you to the apolitical Canadian who responded to this thread.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2022, 4:00 pm

What "apathy" are you talking about?

We're talking about how we feel about certain issues.....which is very pertinent to this election.

JustFoundHere
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2022, 5:12 pm

The context of apathy - people who decided not to vote!

Voter turnout tends to be favorable for the Democrats. As is the days following major elections, it's often noted that lower than needed youth-voter turnout yields defeat of Demcorats esp. in close-races.

I had scoured the Internet for ADs encoraging youth voters to get out and vote. The one AD I found didn't gain traction. The other 'get out and vote' AD (by 'The Lincoln Project') that gained traction (as 'get out the vote' ADs go) was meant to enocurage everybody to vote.

Go figure, youth voters always prove to be a dicey audience to reach.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2022, 3:02 pm

I’m sure a lot of young ppl are sick of crazy bs politics and just tune it out.

I bet a lot of young people feel powerless as a voting block, too, considering that it’s well known that there are tons of boomer aged people and almost all of them turn out to vote, making the elder vote a lot more heavily weighted in determining the outcomes.

For those reasons I understand why a lot of young people just don’t bother voting. What’s the point when they don’t see a point?

But yeah, could do with some better marketing towards young people for sure.

I’ve probably skipped some elections in my life, especially civic ones, but for the most part I’ve made a point of voting in Provincial and Federal elections. It’s irritating voting in federal elections when the way things are carved up in Canada, voters in the East determine the outcome before voters in the West even cast their ballots. Also, we suffer from similar two party problems like the USA does. The closest third party has never won that I know of, and then smaller ones gain ground but don’t stand a statistical chance and end up just splitting the vote sooooo people don’t vote Green even if they want to because they want their vote to help determine the outcome between the big two or Maybe third party. Things tend to swing back and forth like a pendulum just as they do in the USA. Right now even many people who voted for liberal trudeau aren’t happy with his decisions and endless scandals involving his friends getting paid obscene sums for doing little to no work and I can foresee the next election swinging conservative with their new likely leader pierre something something - who talks a very good talk. All of this even though IMO we’d have better outcomes for working class Canadians by electing the NDP, perhaps with a Green coalition, than continuing to allow the whims of Ontario residents to flip-flop back and forth between the two major organized crime groups - liberals & conservatives - while not much of anything really truly changes.

I’ll still vote, but I can see why young people would rather go burn a j at the beach than get involved in politics.

Minder
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Nov 2022, 3:20 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
I’m sure a lot of young ppl are sick of crazy bs politics and just tune it out.

I bet a lot of young people feel powerless as a voting block, too, considering that it’s well known that there are tons of boomer aged people and almost all of them turn out to vote, making the elder vote a lot more heavily weighted in determining the outcomes.

For those reasons I understand why a lot of young people just don’t bother voting. What’s the point when they don’t see a point?

But yeah, could do with some better marketing towards young people for sure.

I’ve probably skipped some elections in my life, especially civic ones, but for the most part I’ve made a point of voting in Provincial and Federal elections. It’s irritating voting in federal elections when the way things are carved up in Canada, voters in the East determine the outcome before voters in the West even cast their ballots. Also, we suffer from similar two party problems like the USA does. The closest third party has never won that I know of, and then smaller ones gain ground but don’t stand a statistical chance and end up just splitting the vote sooooo people don’t vote Green even if they want to because they want their vote to help determine the outcome between the big two or Maybe third party. Things tend to swing back and forth like a pendulum just as they do in the USA. Right now even many people who voted for liberal trudeau aren’t happy with his decisions and endless scandals involving his friends getting paid obscene sums for doing little to no work and I can foresee the next election swinging conservative with their new likely leader pierre something something - who talks a very good talk. All of this even though IMO we’d have better outcomes for working class Canadians by electing the NDP, perhaps with a Green coalition, than continuing to allow the whims of Ontario residents to flip-flop back and forth between the two major organized crime groups - liberals & conservatives - while not much of anything really truly changes.

I’ll still vote, but I can see why young people would rather go burn a j at the beach than get involved in politics.

From what I'm reading, quite a lot of young people came out to vote in 2022.

https://circle.tufts.edu/2022-election-center