Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

vividgroovy
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

08 Nov 2022, 8:13 pm

Faced with the usual "get out and vote" marketing and social media barrage on this Election Day, I'm wondering who else besides me did not go out and vote today.

You can also state your reasons if you like :). '

I'm specifying Americans because today was a mid-term Election Day for us, but if you're from elsewhere and you also didn't vote, that's fine too :).

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

08 Nov 2022, 8:26 pm

I did not. Why bother? We're so far gone there is no helping this country anymore. :D

Besides I don't like either Democrat Raphael Warnock or Republican Herschel Walker. They both beat on their wives apparently. :|

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2022, 2:20 am

I'm not putting my stamp of approval on the system. I am sick of both sides saying to vote for the lesser evil. I would much rather just focus on things that actually matter to my life and that I have any chance of having any kind of control over. Besides, I have far too much else on my plate to care. I also had to work today.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2022, 1:59 pm

I live in the USA, and have to pay local taxes to a degree, and purchase tax in full, but they don't let me vote because I'm only a Green Card holder so far. So I'm taking the liberty of posting here, and I'll desist if the OP politely asks me to.

So although I don't think American politics are none of my business, I'm not unduly concerned, because I live in a strongly Republican, Trump-supporting state, so there's no chance of my vote making any practical difference. If I understand it right, one House is elected by proportional representation and the other is by "first-past-the-post," in which case my vote wouldn't count for absolutely nothing, but even so, the USA population is so huge that my expressed preference would be diluted to a homeopathic level. It's much more effective to vote where parties are neck-and-neck, but does anybody have the right to wield disproportionate power? Of course it only matters if the voter thinks there's any appreciable difference between the parties.

Long story short, I don't think I'd have voted this time even if I'd been allowed to.

roronoa79
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2022, 3:30 pm

I didn't. But that was more laziness than anything else. Didn't feel like getting out of bed early. Indiana is going to stay nice and red regardless.

Δυνατὰ δὲ οἱ προύχοντες πράσσουσι καὶ οἱ ἀσθενεῖς ξυγχωροῦσιν.
Those with power do what their power permits, and the weak can only acquiesce.

- Thucydides

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2022, 5:10 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
I live in the USA, and have to pay local taxes to a degree, and purchase tax in full, but they don't let me vote because I'm only a Green Card holder so far. So I'm taking the liberty of posting here, and I'll desist if the OP politely asks me to.

So although I don't think American politics are none of my business, I'm not unduly concerned, because I live in a strongly Republican, Trump-supporting state, so there's no chance of my vote making any practical difference. If I understand it right, one House is elected by proportional representation and the other is by "first-past-the-post," in which case my vote wouldn't count for absolutely nothing, but even so, the USA population is so huge that my expressed preference would be diluted to a homeopathic level. It's much more effective to vote where parties are neck-and-neck, but does anybody have the right to wield disproportionate power? Of course it only matters if the voter thinks there's any appreciable difference between the parties.

Long story short, I don't think I'd have voted this time even if I'd been allowed to.

Neither The House of Representatives nor The Senate are elected by proportional representation. The main difference between the two is the House is based on districts that contain a certain amount of people (or the entire state if there are few enough people). Where as, the Senate is a state wide position and each state has two with only up to one up for election at a time. Originally, Senators where not elected directly by voters and were in were chosen by state government.

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2022, 5:23 pm

Worthless wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
I

Neither The House of Representatives nor The Senate are elected by proportional representation. The main difference between the two is the House is based on districts that contain a certain amount of people (or the entire state if there are few enough people). Where as, the Senate is a state wide position and each state has two with only up to one up for election at a time. Originally, Senators where not elected directly by voters and were in were chosen by state government.

you're contradicting yourself.

You said that the House is NOT based upon proportional representation.

And then you say that Reps to the House are elected from local districts laid out to contain roughly the same number of voters. Ergo members DO represent comparable population sizes. Therefore the House IS "proportional" to population size.

you're right that the Senate has nothing to do with proportionality. Each state gets two senators regardless of its population size. But you're wrong in your assertion (but right in what you demonstrated that contradicts your assertion) that the House IS proportional (states with greater population size do get more reps).

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2022, 5:32 pm

I believe the right to vote is something which is fundamental.

If we didn't have that right, there would still be kings/dictators ruling over us.

If it is known that a whole group will not vote, that group will be taken for granted.

We must use the power of the ballot.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2022, 8:51 pm

A vote seems pretty useless when we are always forced to choose between the frying pan or the fire. Just saying.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2022, 9:13 pm

Worthless wrote:

Thank you.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2022, 9:13 pm

My vote didn't matter. Abbott won by a landslide, and will continue Texas' path to theocracy.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2022, 9:38 pm

naturalplastic wrote:
Worthless wrote:

you're contradicting yourself.

You said that the House is NOT based upon proportional representation.

And then you say that Reps to the House are elected from local districts laid out to contain roughly the same number of voters. Ergo members DO represent comparable population sizes. Therefore the House IS "proportional" to population size.

you're right that the Senate has nothing to do with proportionality. Each state gets two senators regardless of its population size. But you're wrong in your assertion (but right in what you demonstrated that contradicts your assertion) that the House IS proportional (states with greater population size do get more reps).

Ah. So the House of Representatives is PR unless the entire state doesn't have enough people (I should have realised that), in which case it's not strictly proportional, as such a state's voters would have an advantage? I guess the key value is the standard district size.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2022, 10:22 pm

If we lose the right to vote, we are sunk.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2022, 11:31 pm

Creating laws that control evangelicals' words, thoughts, and maybe bodies are the only solution in many parts of the country.

That or disbanding all law enforcement in those areas.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2022, 2:56 pm

I don’t believe in “disbanding” law enforcement anywhere.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 12:47 am

I voted and Tina Kotek won Oregon's Gubernatorial Race.

She is now Oregon's first lesbian governor. :D

@ Kraftie: If law enforcement is disbanded, the US could be sent back to the days of the Wild West because vigilante law will never be considered "real law." I also believe the right to vote is essential to keep the US political system in check and if the right to vote is taken away, the US could become a worse dystopia than it is as of now.