Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2022, 12:57 am

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
Relocate to a blue state, maybe?

They all have very high costs of living.

The Spokane area here in Washington state is, if anything, purple with people of usually a mild political temperament, and the cost of living beats Seattle.

i wonder how it compares to oly or shelton?

Aren't they both very liberal like Seattle? Spokane is more of a mix of liberals, conservatives, and moderates.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2022, 2:28 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
Relocate to a blue state, maybe?

They all have very high costs of living.

The Spokane area here in Washington state is, if anything, purple with people of usually a mild political temperament, and the cost of living beats Seattle.

i wonder how it compares to oly or shelton?

Aren't they both very liberal like Seattle? Spokane is more of a mix of liberals, conservatives, and moderates.

having lived in mason county for more years than i care to think about, i can tell you we rurals here are red like a bit of transplanted Mississippi delta. a mix of lily white and brown who never mix. shelton, like any city proper, is somewhat to the left of the county surrounding it. for the longest time i thought spokane was rather like 1970s tacoma. oly is [politically] like a more compact seattle.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2022, 3:36 am

Blabby -
What was Tacoma like back then?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2022, 5:12 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Blabby -

like a cross between 60s newark [referring to The Hilltop] and omaha with a bit of birmingham mixed in. tacoma at one time had a KKK cell. the north end was richer and snootier. does spokane have a fancy part?

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2022, 5:28 am

auntblabby wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Blabby -

like a cross between 60s newark [referring to The Hilltop] and omaha with a bit of birmingham mixed in. tacoma at one time had a KKK cell. the north end was richer and snootier. does spokane have a fancy part?

Spokane certainly does have a snootier part called the South Hill, though there are areas within that neighborhood that are less affluent. Spokane has a reputation of being conservative and provincial, though much of that is a self perception that isn't always true. Living alongside the John Bircher types have always been a progressive element that was at one time greatly outnumbered, but in more recent times has been growing, as is the artistic scene. There had once been a KKK chapter in Spokane back after WWI, though that had proved to be short lived, and in fact had been a common occurrence all around the country at the time. Prior to that, there had been quite a bit of IWW activity Spokane, which had of course represented radical labor. So in other words, when it comes to the right and left, it's been a mixed bag in Spokane.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2022, 8:30 am

I think it’s my duty to stay in my state and try and promote change.If every open minded person leaves ,who will help it progress?

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2022, 8:38 am

Misslizard wrote:
I think it’s my duty to stay in my state and try and promote change.If every open minded person leaves ,who will help it progress?

Down here, there is a lot of voter suppression. With non-whites outnumbering whites (and Hispanics alone becoming an outright majority in a few years), Abbott will stop at nothing to disenfranchise them.

Plus people on the right turned out in droves out of fear that Beto would "take their guns", and that he would have "open borders". Not to mention all the crap about CRT and drag queens. As far as Texas Dems go, Julian Castro was a far superior candidate, and if Matthew McConaughey had run, he could have siphoned votes away from Abbott and either handed the election to Beto or won himself.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2022, 8:52 am

Arkansas has always had a soft spot for drag queens.Go figure.
https://www.faylib.org/event/6145562

Minder
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Nov 2022, 11:55 am

Tim_Tex wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Down here, there is a lot of voter suppression. With non-whites outnumbering whites (and Hispanics alone becoming an outright majority in a few years), Abbott will stop at nothing to disenfranchise them.

Plus people on the right turned out in droves out of fear that Beto would "take their guns", and that he would have "open borders". Not to mention all the crap about CRT and drag queens. As far as Texas Dems go, Julian Castro was a far superior candidate, and if Matthew McConaughey had run, he could have siphoned votes away from Abbott and either handed the election to Beto or won himself.

I don't know much about internal Texas Democrat politics, but I'm really surprised that O'Rourke keeps running. He seems to have good moments, but it never pans out in the end.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2022, 12:11 pm

Minder wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

I don't know much about internal Texas Democrat politics, but I'm really surprised that O'Rourke keeps running. He seems to have good moments, but it never pans out in the end.

If a Democrat wants to win statewide office, they have to win over Never Abbott/Never Trump conservatives. Beto's "I'm coming for your guns" remark in 2019 destroyed any chance of that.

No bigger proof of that than Abbott winning 77% of the vote in Uvalde County--just 5 months after the Robb shooting.

Abbott's claim that Beto would defund the police and swing the borders wide open didn't help (both claims are false).

Our last Dem governor was Ann Richards, elected in 1990, and she only won because her opponent made a joke about rape.

Minder
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Nov 2022, 12:42 pm

Tim_Tex wrote:
Minder wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

If a Democrat wants to win statewide office, they have to win over Never Abbott/Never Trump conservatives. Beto's "I'm coming for your guns" remark in 2019 destroyed any chance of that.

No bigger proof of that than Abbott winning 77% of the vote in Uvalde County--just 5 months after the Robb shooting.

Abbott's claim that Beto would defund the police and swing the borders wide open didn't help (both claims are false).

Our last Dem governor was Ann Richards, elected in 1990, and she only won because her opponent made a joke about rape.

Yeah, it seems like a bad idea to take an anti-gun stance in Texas.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2022, 2:28 pm

Typical Abbott supporter ^^^

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2022, 7:49 pm

Minder wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Minder wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:
Misslizard wrote:

Yeah, it seems like a bad idea to take an anti-gun stance in Texas.

How do we get anti-hate speech laws enacted in the US (as in you can go to jail for using hate speech)? That will never happen as long as the GOP exists. That's the whole reason they were happy that Elon Musk took over Twitter.

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2022, 5:21 am

Tim_Tex wrote:

That woman's poor family!

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2022, 6:31 am

Kraichgauer wrote:
Tim_Tex wrote:

That woman's poor family!

I heard one of her daughters died a few years later.

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

12 Nov 2022, 7:23 am

It could be worse. Doug Mastriano could have been elected your governor. At least the citizens of the Commonwealth of PA rejected him as governor. The only thing I agreed with him was his views on abortion.

Of course, like the last few election cycles, the people chose the least objectionable, most incompetent bastards that were available. Fetterman is set to be PA’s next senator in Conned-gress (Dr. Oz wasn’t much better). Scott Perry was voted back in as representative in the house, even though be is strongly allied with the MAGA crowd. (York County is so far-right and redneck, that no one else had a chance. Any wonder York County is down in the sewer… (and to be frank, Tom Wolf, our current Governor, is no prize. Neither was Fetterman, the way he ruined Braddock, PA)