Page 3 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 2:10 pm

League_Girl wrote:
magz wrote:
I genuinely believe Republicans miscalculated the impact of trumpism - not taking into account a group of voters that may not be particularily happy with Democrats but vividly opposing Trumpists.
A group that might have otherwise not voted at all, but trumpist candidates mobilised them to vote against them.

I hear more younger generation voted than hebore, GenZ so yes your vote does make a difference. If everyone thought "my vote won't make a difference" and not vote, Republicans would still be in power. But they all went and voted and because they thought "I'm going to vote against them because I'm pissed what is happening right now so I hope everyone else does the same."

This was why I made sure to vote this time and drop off my ballot. I would be a hypocrite if I didn't vote, then I would have no right to whine about Republicans and their BS laws they want to impose.

It's CRAZY to think that there were actual serious meetings between high level republican party officials where they got together in rooms and decided that what people would vote for is rescinding basic human rights, rolling back healthcare for seniors, not limiting prescription drug prices, not assuring anyone of a reasonable minimum wage for their work efforts etc etc etc.. like wtf could they possibly be thinking? :? How to grown men get together in a room and decide that THIS is the platform that people will vote for ???

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 3:21 pm

League_Girl wrote:
If everyone thought "my vote won't make a difference" and not vote, Republicans would still be in power.

Low turnout may help the Republicans (it's said to help the Tories in the UK), but I wonder what would actually happen if absolutely nobody voted?

I'd like to see provision for negative voting, so that people who don't support any of the candidates but just want one of them to lose could vote without encouraging them. I think that might increase the turnout.

It's pretty usual for most people not to approve of the ones who get into power:

https://today.yougov.com/ratings/politi ... icians/all

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 4:53 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
League_Girl wrote:
magz wrote:
I genuinely believe Republicans miscalculated the impact of trumpism - not taking into account a group of voters that may not be particularily happy with Democrats but vividly opposing Trumpists.
A group that might have otherwise not voted at all, but trumpist candidates mobilised them to vote against them.

I hear more younger generation voted than hebore, GenZ so yes your vote does make a difference. If everyone thought "my vote won't make a difference" and not vote, Republicans would still be in power. But they all went and voted and because they thought "I'm going to vote against them because I'm pissed what is happening right now so I hope everyone else does the same."

This was why I made sure to vote this time and drop off my ballot. I would be a hypocrite if I didn't vote, then I would have no right to whine about Republicans and their BS laws they want to impose.

It's CRAZY to think that there were actual serious meetings between high level republican party officials where they got together in rooms and decided that what people would vote for is rescinding basic human rights, rolling back healthcare for seniors, not limiting prescription drug prices, not assuring anyone of a reasonable minimum wage for their work efforts etc etc etc.. like wtf could they possibly be thinking? :? How to grown men get together in a room and decide that THIS is the platform that people will vote for ???

Thanks to Trump, more people realize voting does matter so more people have voted than before and I am not suripsed Republicans are losing. This gave me hope for our country. It's a matter of people standing up for their rights by voting against them.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2022, 6:41 pm

GOP projected to retake control of the House in key win after Democrats held Senate

Quote:
Republicans are projected to retake control of the House in the midterm elections, breaking Democrats' unified control of the federal government, ABC News reports.

Despite other midterm disappointments, that marks a major victory for the party that's been the chamber's minority since 2019 -- and will be a blow to President Joe Biden's agenda in Congress.

Democrats already won control of the Senate, securing 50 seats with the opportunity to gain one more in the Georgia runoff next month between incumbent Sen. Raphael Warnock and his Republican opponent, Herschel Walker.

But Republicans, who will take over in the House in January, will now be able to block White House legislative priorities, decide what bills come to the chamber floor and have the opportunity to launch committee investigations into the Biden administration.

Several House Republicans have already said they intend to investigate Hunter Biden, the president's son, and look into the administration's policies on COVID-19 and the southern border.

The GOP House leader, California Rep. Kevin McCarthy, was nominated by his colleagues this week to be the next speaker, the chamber's top position and second in line to the presidency.

"I'm proud to announce the era of one-party, Democrat rule in Washington is over," McCarthy said after the intraparty leadership vote on Tuesday.

McCarthy unveiled his party's vision for Republican rule ahead of the midterms. Their "Commitment to America" plan focused on four key areas: creating an "economy that's strong," "a nation that's safe," "a future that's built on freedom" and "a government that's accountable."

It is Autism Acceptance Month

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2022, 10:18 pm

So now a great deal hinges on how severe the lack of unity is in the Republican party, I would think. Though I don't know that their current razor-thin majority will still be razor-thin when the rest of the voting is complete. I hope it will.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2022, 4:30 pm

Vaguely interesting BBC article about Trumpist Kari Lake (apologies if it turns out she's been talked about at length in another thread I haven't seen):
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-63593153

British people see through Trump (and by extension, Trumpists) much more easily than they see through Boris, judging by their relative approval ratings, though they're both right-wing populists. Could it be that American politicians can get away with less subtle dishonesty than the UK ones?

Whether Kari takes the Washington Examiner's advice to dump Trump and become a winner remains to be seen:
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... ake-future

Doesn't look like it so far:
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... rnors-race
But it takes time for a leopard to change its spots without anybody noticing, and she's got time now. Of course we don't know for absolute certain that Trump is a toxic brand. And who knows, those voting machines may turn out to be broken.