Page 1 of 3 [ 38 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2022, 4:38 am

Democrats projected to pick up key Senate race as battle for control continues

Quote:
CBS News projected Democrat John Fetterman wins the Senate race in Pennsylvania, a major pickup for the party as they seek to stay in control of the Senate. CBS News has characterized control of the Senate as a toss-up and House control leaning Republican.

After polls had closed in every state, CBS News projected that Democratic Sen. Maggie Hassan of New Hampshire, a key battleground, won reelection and Sen. Michael Bennet won in Colorado.

Republicans, meanwhile, held onto two battleground seats. CBS News projects J.D. Vance wins in Ohio and Ted Budd wins in North Carolina.

In Arizona, one of the most closely-watched battleground states, CBS News estimates that both the governor's race and the Senate race lean Democrat.

All eyes are also on Florida, where CBS News projects Gov. Ron DeSantis and Sen. Marco Rubio, both Republicans, won their reelection bids, boosted by support from Latino voters, early exit poll data showed. Both candidates lost the Hispanic vote in their previous elections in 2018 and 2016, respectively.

House control leans Republican but some races remain up in the air
Quote:
With polls closed in all 50 states and Washington, D.C., CBS News estimates the battle for control of the House leans Republican.

Republicans currently hold 212 seats – and need to win just six more – to win the majority. Democrats currently hold 220 seats, and there are three vacancies: GOP Rep. Jackie Walorski of Indiana, who died in August, and Democratic Reps. Charlie Crist and Ted Deutch, both of Florida, resigned.

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy insisted early Wednesday that the GOP "will be in the majority and Nancy Pelosi will be in the minority" despite modest gains throughout the night.

In one high-profile pick-up, CBS News projected Rep. Elaine Luria, a member of the high-profile House Jan. 6 committee, was defeated by her Republican challenger, Jen Kiggans.

Republican Rep. Mayra Flores in South Texas, who was projected to have lost to Democratic Rep. Vicente Gonzalez, tweeted "The RED WAVE did not happen. Republicans and Independents stayed home. DO NOT COMPLAIN ABOUT THE RESULTS IF YOU DID NOT DO YOUR PART!"

While the party in the White House often loses seats in the next midterm election, current House Speaker Nancy Pelosi insisted Democratic candidates were "strongly outperforming expectations."

Democrats also faced a disadvantage because of the redistricting that occurred after the 2020 census.

Abortion and the 2022 midterm elections: 5 states vote on abortion access
Quote:
Voters in at least four states appear poised to protect abortion access through measures on the ballot, CBS News estimates, a victory for abortion rights advocates who worked with urgency to preserve the right to end a pregnancy in the wake of the Supreme Court's decision overturning Roe. v. Wade this year.

Abortion rights are directly on the ballot in California, Michigan, Vermont, Kentucky and Montana, through either proposed amendments to state constitutions or by legislative referendum in Montana. In three of the states — California, Michigan and Vermont — voters are deciding whether to enshrine abortion rights in their respective state constitutions, while in Kentucky and Montana, the ballot measures seek to limit abortion access.

Kentucky's Constitutional Amendment 2 - Leans No
The question before Kentucky voters was whether to amend the state constitution to declare it does not protect the right to an abortion and to prohibit state funding for abortion, and its estimated rejection is a major victory for pro-abortion rights groups in a conservative state where a "trigger" law banning nearly all abortions took effect after the Supreme Court overturned Roe.

Vermont's Article 22 - Approved
Vermont's measure proposed an amendment to the state constitution establishing the right to "personal reproductive autonomy."

With its approval, Article 22 will be added, reading: "an individual's right to personal reproductive autonomy is central to the liberty and dignity to determine one's own life course and shall not be denied or infringed unless justified by a compelling state interest achieved by the least restrictive means."

Montana's legislative referendum on the Born Alive Infant Protection Act
The legislative referendum before Montana voters asked them to adopt the Born Alive Infant Protection Act, which declares infants born alive, including after an abortion, are legal persons. The bill also imposes criminal penalties on health care providers who do not take "medically appropriate and reasonable actions" to preserve the lives of these infants.

Michigan's Proposal 3 - Leans Yes
The projected success of Michigan's measure is a resounding win for abortion rights supporters in the state, who spearheaded a signature drive to get the initiative on the November ballot and went to the Michigan Supreme Court after the state's Board of Canvassers deadlocked on allowing it to be added.

With its estimated approval, the state constitution will be amended to:

Establish the right to make and carry out all decisions about pregnancy, among them prenatal care, childbirth, postpartum care, contraception, abortion, and infertility;
Allow the state to regulate abortion after fetal viability, generally between 22 to 24 weeks of pregnancy, but not prohibit abortion if it is medically needed to protect a patient's life or physical or mental health;
Forbid prosecution of an individual for exercising the new established right to reproductive freedom or an individual helping a pregnant women;
Invalidate existing state laws that conflict with the constitutional amendment

California's Proposition 1 - Approved
The ballot measure calls for the California Constitution to be amended to include the right to reproductive freedom, which includes the right to choose to have an abortion and the right to contraceptives.

Here are some of the candidates who made history on Election Day in 2022
Quote:
Wes Moore
Moore, projected to be Maryland's new governor-elect, will become the state's first Black governor. The Democrat is also just the third Black man to be elected governor in U.S. history, after Douglas Wilder was elected Virginia governor in 1989 and Deval Patrick was elected Massachusetts governor in 2006

Maura Healey
Maura Healey made history in two ways with her projected win in the Massachusetts gubernatorial race. She's the first woman elected as the state's governor and the first openly lesbian governor in U.S. history.

Sarah Huckabee Sanders
Republican Sarah Huckabee Sanders is projected to win the Arkansas gubernatorial race, making her the first woman elected governor in that state.

Maxwell Frost
Democrat Maxwell Frost is projected to win Florida's 10th Congressional District race, making him the first Democratic member of Congress from Gen Z and the first Afro-Cubano to head to Congress.

Alex Padilla
Incumbent Sen. Alex Padilla became the first Latino in California to be elected to the Senate. Padilla was appointed senator by Gov. Gavin Newsom in 2020, filling the role vacated by Vice President Kamala Harris.

Kathy Hochul is the first women to be elected Governor of New York State.

George Santos elected in New York’s 3rd Congressional will be as far as I can tell the first Latino-Jewish American Congressmen. He also has Ukrainian and Angolan background. Also this contest was the first for a Congressional Seat involving two openly gay candidates.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 09 Nov 2022, 5:37 am, edited 5 times in total.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Nov 2022, 4:52 am

Surprisingly equal, especially taking into account Biden's low notes and the general tendency for president's party to do poorly in midterms.
I wonder what other factors contributed. Republican voters of the silent majority turning their backs on Trumpism but Republican party still proposing Trumpist candidates?
Just a wild guess.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2022, 5:01 am

Quote:
Republicans hoped for a wipeout.  They didn’t get it.  After Democrats racked up several hard-fought wins in swing districts, like Rep. Abigail Spanberger’s Virginia seat, the sweeping wins many Republicans predicted had yet to materialize early Wednesday.

Meanwhile, the fate of Democrats narrow hold on the Senate was unclear.

Fetterman defeated Dr. Mehmet Oz for a crucial Pennsylvania Senate seat vacated by retiring Republican Sen. Pat Toomey.  Democratic Sen. Raphael Warnock and former NFL star Herschel Walker, a Republican, were locked in a close contest in Georgia.  The Wisconsin race between Republican Sen. Ron Johnson and Democrat Mandela Barnes was too close to call.

And the outcome of the two remaining two seats that will determine which party will hold a Senate majority -- Arizona and Nevada -- may not be known for days because both states conduct elections in part by mail ballots, which take a long time to count.

Stay tuned.

Source:  This APNews Article 

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2022, 5:56 am

Key takeaways: Democrats avoid Biden backlash and hold their own in 2022 races

Quote:
An election that Republicans hyped as a red wave is turning out to be anything but, with Democrats over-performing the expectations of many in House and Senate races.

The results are not final and control of both the House and Senate remain up for grabs, despite Democrats going into the election with wafer-thin majorities. Expectations of widespread GOP gains have not been realized, even though the party retains a chance at winning the Senate, and a plausible shot at the House

Biden backlash fails to materialize
Donald Trump suffered a backlash. So did Bill Clinton and Barack Obama. It became the norm. But Joe Biden? Not so much, it seems.

For Democrats, the returns show scant evidence of a backlash to Biden's low job approval ratings and the pain of inflation, which was expected by some to sink a swath of Democratic incumbents and candidates in what is typically a tough election for the party in power. Biden may have bucked that trend.

The 44% of voters who approve of Biden overwhelmingly backed Democratic candidates. Voters who "somewhat" disapprove of Biden, notably, preferred Democrats to Republicans by a margin of 49% to 45%, according to the NBC News exit poll.

A mere 30% said they want Biden to run for president in 2024. Yet among the 67% who said they didn’t want him to run for re-election, 31% backed Democratic candidates.

Red-to-blue suburbs stay blue after Trump
With Trump out of office for two years, one of the big questions of the 2022 cycle is whether the well-educated suburbs that abandoned the GOP and voted for Democratic candidates in recent cycles would stick with Democrats or flip back. They appear to be staying put.

NBC News national exit polls show Democrats winning white college graduates in the 2022 election, once a stronghold of the GOP.

In addition, 28% of voters said their vote in House races was "to oppose Trump," and 90% of them backed Democrats.

Inflation helped the GOP, but modestly
Rising costs — long seen by Republicans as the issue that they could ride to a huge victory — appears to have delivered only modest benefits to the party.

The NBC News exit poll found that 31% of voters ranked inflation as their top concern, and 71% of them voted Republican. But other voters doubted the GOP would be better at tackling inflation — the party had only a 12-point advantage over Democrats when voters were asked who they trust more to handle inflation, far from the runaway gains the issue was thought to be able to deliver them.

The Roe v. Wade fallout is real
The NBC News exit poll found that 61% said they're dissatisfied or angry about the Supreme Court overturning Roe v. Wade, while 37% said they're enthusiastic or satisfied.

Gun control is now a winning issue for Dems
Fifty-six percent of 2022 voters support stricter gun control measures, while 40% oppose them, the NBC News exit poll found.

Among the proponents of stricter measures, 76% backed Democratic candidates while 22% favored Republicans, illustrating the salience of the cause of tougher gun laws. It's a far cry from a decade ago, when Democrats tended to fear single-issue pro-gun voters would overwhelm gun control proponents and punish them at the ballot box for pursuing tougher firearm laws.

The ongoing coup suffered a major setback. My fears appear largely unfounded. MAGA while a very significant minority does not appear able to gain control of the Federal Government. They can still cause chaos and plenty of angst. Even if Republicans gain control of both houses I don’t envision there being enough votes to decertify a Republican loss in the 2024 election. If it is going to happen it is going to happen at the state level where the governor or legislators defies the will of the voters. Most of the die hard elected MAGA’s are going to come from states that Republicans are going win anyways. How many elected MAGA’s from purple or even red leaning states are going to go there?

The caveat is it is that often what is apparent in the the immediate aftermath of an election is proven untrue weeks later once all the votes are counted.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2022, 8:21 am

magz wrote:
Surprisingly equal, especially taking into account Biden's low notes and the general tendency for president's party to do poorly in midterms.
I wonder what other factors contributed. Republican voters of the silent majority turning their backs on Trumpism but Republican party still proposing Trumpist candidates?
Just a wild guess.

Also the Presidents party usually does badly in the midterms and inflation which is bad for the incumbent Presidents party.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

09 Nov 2022, 8:27 am

ASPartOfMe wrote:
magz wrote:
Just a wild guess.

Also the Presidents party usually does badly in the midterms and inflation which is bad for the incumbent Presidents party.
Taking all these into account, Dems are doing much less badly than one would expect.

I hope it's a signal for Republicans to invest in more, ahem, regular politicians instead of crazy Trumpists. We're living in times interesting enough, we don't need an additional circus.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2022, 12:10 pm

Not as bad as I'd feared so far. When will the race be over?

In a TV interview with NewsNation, he said: "Well, I think if they win, I should get all the credit, And if they lose, I should not be blamed at all."
Guess who said that?
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-63567422

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

09 Nov 2022, 12:32 pm

i See A Greatest Winner of the 2022 Mid-Term Elections
As Democracy; And Perhaps Both A Greatest Teacher

And Loser As Adversary of Democracy, in Terms of
DarK And LiGHT of the Metaphor of What An Adversary

Will Bring
In Colors of
'Devils' AS Such;

Yes, in Terms of Donald J. Trump,
A 'True' 'Cancer' Eating Away At True
Conservative Colors of the Republican Party;

And In Terms of DarK Makes LiGHT, Inspiring LiGHT
Overcoming Apathy That Often Accompanies American
Politics As Far As Voter Turn-out; Yes, Particularly in

Mid-Term Elections

To Come Back to Passionate

Life; Finally Realizing That Neither

Democracy Or Long Held Freedoms Are Guaranteed

As Apathy in a Democracy And Civic Duties Are A Potential
Destroyer of Not Only Long Held Freedoms Yet Democracy Itself For Real.

Another Greatest Winner of the 2022 Mid-Term Election is Wisdom And

Actual Work Experience Over Inexperience And Glitz of Actually Making Stuff

Happen to Help

The Populace in
General At Hand

For As Much of the
'Common Folks' As Possible.

AS A Devil's Advocate; Indeed, Trump
Is Increasingly FOR REAL Becoming Republican
Leadership's Worst Nightmare And Additionally

An Incentive For Folks in Both Parties to at Least
Get Off Their Butts And Do Whatever It Takes to
Vote and BE A REAL PART OF THE DEMOCRATIC PROCESS...

'UNCLE JOE' CAME

THROUGH AND A
REAL 'FATHER oF ALL

Lies BRinGS Those Who
Support Lies A Notch or Two
And Possibly Even More Lower...

As Far Now, At Least in Terms of Truth And Lies in
Day and Night; LiGHT Overcomes DarK Once Again...

Bravo To Those
Willing to Stand
Up AND Act for Truth

in Terms of Democracy Breathing Longer...

i Surely Did A Happy Dance in Walmart This
Morning, Seeing That Democracy Will Likely At
Least Last until my Last Breath in America For Real...

If The Democrats Maintain Control of the House and Senate,
i Might Eat A Steak, Even though i've Already Reached my

Healthy Limit for the Month, hehe...

Yet On The Other Hand,

If The Republicans
Barely Take Control
of the House, the Republican Party

May Implode Even Further From Within...

That's Not Really a 'Good Thing' As We Do Need

An 'Honest' Mix of Conservative and Liberal to Keep Democracy

With Checks
And Balances
iN Both Ways
Of Viewing Governance...

A Best Possible Advice for Republican
Leadership is To Rid Themselves
of the Malignant Cancer

Donald J. TRumP

HAs Become for
Traditional And
Conservative Ideology
That Resembles Truth

for Republican Leadership

And
America's
Overall, Well Being...

Also Congrats to Michael Moore

For Being One of Few Political Pundits

To Predict The Death of the So-Called 'Red Wave,'
Actually 'Being on the Ground' Seeing the Enthusiasm

Among the Voters to Remove That Potential Red Flood;

Same As He Did By Defying Pollster Predictions That Didn't
Support Donald J. Trump in 2016,

Predicting His Win Then;

Hehe, Who Can Fault Bill Maher,
Specifically, For His "The Sky Is Falling
For Democracy Speech" Last Friday as

He Usually Doesn't Deliver Original Thought;

When Ya Depend on Others to Write Your Story,
Ya Get What
'They' Give,

Whatever

It Is; Same
Issue With
Believing in
'Trumpism'
As A Narrative Story Of Life;

Or Any Other Religion, Philosophy,
Or Politics, Supported By Demagoguery...

Or Whatever
Other Fast
Talking Snake-Oil
Sales Person SellS; Hook,
Line, Bait, And SinKeR to SWaLLoW

too...

PS: YucK

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

10 Nov 2022, 5:24 am

aghogday wrote:

i See A Greatest Winner of the 2022 Mid-Term Elections
As Democracy

Did you write drafts for Biden's speech? :scratch:

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2022, 1:47 pm

magz wrote:
Did you write drafts for Biden's speech? :scratch:

Hehe magz, i Suppose my 'Post-Midterm

Results Assessment,' Did Flavor Biden's

Speech Later on in the Afternoon of the Day

After the Election; Although, i Don't See a General Target

Audience Primed For the Rest of my Free Verse Poetic Effort;

True, Only A Select
Few Members of the
Country Are Ready For
'Four Score And Seven Years

Ago' 'Stuff' These Days Where Science
Assesses the Average Human Attention
Span of Less than A Gold Fish; Yes, Less

Than 3 Seconds, Which Nicely at Least
Fits in With the First Line of my Monologue, Hehe

Per "i See A Greatest Winner of the 2022 Mid-Term
Elections As Democracy" as Indeed 'Trumpism' if Left

Unchecked By 'The Left' Was Surely A Downward Spiral

For Democracy And Even Basic Civil Discourse Among Human Beings;

You Know the Drill, Where All Some Folks Narrow Their Attention to is
Every Tool They May Find to Do Their Best to Knock Other People Down

to Lift Their
Small Ego's Up;

As The Smallest Dude
i've Ever Seen in the World
As Far as "Little Man Syndrome"
Threatens His 'Mini-Me' DeSantis
Or However Ya Spell 'DeSataNis' to

Bring Shade Flooding as 'Unflattering'
Comments to Bring the 'Last White Hope'

to Extinguish the Orange Flame of Death
That Has Already Visited Conservatism in
Death of Tradition of the Republican Party...

Yet of Course, The Real Father of Trump is "Rupert
Murdoch" And The New Real Father of DeSataNiS Now;

So, TRump Is the Old News;

Now DeSataNiS is Murdoch's

Fair Haired Golden Boy Who Won't

Even Need to Spray it in His Hair, Hehe
As True He Still Has Natural Pigment For His SKiN too...

Yet of Course, The Monster, Rupert Murdoch And His News
Sources Created in Terms of Donald J Trump Are Far Beyond

His High Billionaire Reach As Trump Has Already Become the Gospel
of the Religion of the Lowly Man And Or Woman Looking For Meaning and
Purpose With A New Messiah of Their Religion to Give Them Just Something

DarK to
Bind and
Bond Over
to Fuel Another
Breath of Life that
Means Anything at all

in Purpose For Organic Souls Living
In Material And Emotional SCaRCiTies; Yes,

Trump Has Become One And Same With Their

Religion And Biden Has Enough Street Smarts

To See What Murdoch And His Bunch Have Created

As 'The Devil' They Know Best And A Thorn in Their Crowns

'Who' Refuses to

Die by the Strength
of A Most Despicable
Created And Supported

Leader From the Bottom Up
As The Top at Essence Has Always
Been Close to the Level of the Bottom

iN Essence of Empty Soul...

A Most Dangerous Leader is One Devoid

of Empathy And Compassion For Others;

A Country Becomes More Potentially Dangerous
For All When and Where Enough Folks Don't LiVE iN

Socio-Economic Success With Soulful Organic Meanings and
Purposes in Life With Social Roles That Truly Lift 'Souls' Up

When Those No Longer Exist
And Those Who Have
Fallen May Fall Even

Further Down By the 'Golden
Handcuffs' Of A Demagogue

As Let's Face A Truth, Trump Still
Owns the Repub's And All That Leaves

Biden to Do Is Giggle While Trump and
Mini-Me Trump Battle for A LoWesT SoUL Spot

in THeiR World...

Pass The Popcorn 'Eve,'

The Colosseum Doors Are
Open And Big Trump And
Little Trump Are About to Go to War

With Each Other

Likely A More
Self-Defeating One Indeed...

Other than that Inflation is Cooling;

Infrastructure Improvements are Coming;

Reaching Most Demographics With Lower

Health Care Costs, Including A Potential Fulfillment

Of Student
Loans Forgiveness
As Well; And Specifically

Because of Subsidy Extensions
For 3 Years for Obama-Care

That Saves my Sister in Early

Retirement Around 3,600 Dollars A Year

Where She Would Have Had to Wait Until 65
For Any Chance to Retire Early if it Wasn't

For Obama
Care and the
Subsides that Come With It...

Through Biden's Term, Many Folks Have
Or Will Receive Assistance they Need in Many
Demographics for Real; It's What Happens when

A Real Alpha Leader Has Empathy and Compassion For Real;

Even in the Frigging Chimp Kingdom with No Bible At All
And Soaked With Peace and LoVE iN The Bonobo Kingdom Naked For Real;

Ya Can Knock 'em down yet They MosT Always Get Up New Now to Give Some More;

In Some States, The Democrats
Benefited Most By Turn-Outs
of Younger Generations By 200
to 300 Percent More, Than Last Go Around;

They Are the Future of Democracy, Already New Now With SMiLes;

Other than that Young Folks From Other Countries Will Spend A Whole
Decade in Moving, Connecting, Co-Creating School And Work Living in

Many Countries to Finally Arrive

For Even The Potential of

Achieving Their

American Dream;

SMiLes it Doesn't Happen for Everyone
Naked Enough Whole Complete in Terms

of Rights to Life, Liberty, And The Pursuit
of Individual And Group Happiness; Yet

There Are Still Some Folks

Moving Real Life

Mountains to

Make This Freedom
And Liberty And Life Joyful For Them

As It's All A Matter of Perspective; Just little
Things Like A Friend of A Woman's Father Visiting

His Facebook Page

And Only Assessing His

Daughter Like Cattle to
Breed Just Referring to Her as 'Nice Female;'

Like Grade 'A' Meat at the Meet/Meat Market For Sale...

True There Are Sacred Cows That Are Most Evil Ways Away From Human Freedoms...

These Are the 'Sacred Cows' Some Folks Wanna Replace Freedom With in the United States;'

Accordingly,

We the People
oF ALL Ages Are

Dancing Singing Freer

in Terms of HELL NO, Not On Our Watch at Least;

Yet You Live Between Ukraine And Russia; i Don't

Have to Do my Best to Touch Your Organic Soul to

Help

Understand

The Value of
What Democracy Even is...

Obviously, You Already
Feel and Sense What's Real About That And Not..:)

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick

blazingstar
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2022, 7:31 pm

A victory for democracy. And optimism as, apparently, younger voters are turning out in record numbers. Florida’s one positive victory being Maxwell Frost at 25 years old.

I voted, of course, having learned in civics classes as young as 4th grade that it is a right and a privileged to vote. But in Florida, my votes are pretty futile. But I still vote.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

10 Nov 2022, 8:45 pm

magz wrote:
Just a wild guess.

Can’t be that wild of a guess since that’s exactly what all of the talking heads from various news media & commentary programs are saying pretty much word for word.

republicans misjudged how overturning abortion rights would be received by people as well as made fatal errors in doubling down on trump & trumpism that it appears most people are just done with.

Minder
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

10 Nov 2022, 9:19 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
magz wrote:
Just a wild guess.

Can’t be that wild of a guess since that’s exactly what all of the talking heads from various news media & commentary programs are saying pretty much word for word.

republicans misjudged how overturning abortion rights would be received by people as well as made fatal errors in doubling down on trump & trumpism that it appears most people are just done with.

I would also guess that a lot of younger people are motivated to vote by climate change. While the Democrat response to that hasn't been great, the Republicans are actively hostile to the idea.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2022, 2:49 am

blazingstar wrote:
I voted, of course, having learned in civics classes as young as 4th grade that it is a right and a privileged to vote. But in Florida, my votes are pretty futile. But I still vote.

What did you learn via the civics class that convinced you to vote? I wasn't allowed to in the US, being only a Green Card holder. I can vote in the UK but haven't done so for many years because my vote there is 100% futile (I live in a safe Labour area and we don't have proportional representation), so as far as I can see it would be purely symbolic if I voted.

Certainly I value my right to vote, because it's potentially a step towards holding authority to account, although in practice the way they do it renders it less effective than it might be. If they ever extend the right to vote on issues to the public, that would attract me, and there have been some state-level referenda in the US, though they're rare in the UK.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2022, 2:54 am

Trump factor certainly is backfiring
viewtopic.php?t=409878

QuantumChemist
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2022, 9:55 am

Minder wrote:
goldfish21 wrote:
magz wrote:
Just a wild guess.

I would also guess that a lot of younger people are motivated to vote by climate change. While the Democrat response to that hasn't been great, the Republicans are actively hostile to the idea.

That may have well contributed to the election, along with student loan relief. I watched a news story on t.v. that stated a majority of young voters below 25 years of age were engaged to participate to protect their student loan interests. If certain people got elected, they campaigned that they would do everything they could to stop the student loan relief process. That ticked off the youngest generation that could vote as it directly affected their future financial plans.