We are no longer allowed to protest in Britain. At all.

Page 8 of 9 [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 7:14 am

And where there are charging stations, there’s always one or more individual stations not working. Also, some idiot who is not charging parks the car in the parking space occupied by the charging apparatus.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Nov 2022, 7:24 am

auntblabby wrote:
my prius could keep up with traffic alright, even up hills. it chirped the tires on takeoff if you weren't careful.
Low speed uphill is exactly where a hybrid beats way bigger gas engines.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 7:25 am

Talking about the practicality of electric cars is pertinent to this discussion—because some of the protests involve the society getting away from gas-powered cars, and to electric, clean vehicles.

In order for a conversion to non-fossil fuel vehicles to be successful, the infrastructure for this would have to be improved greatly.

At this point, we can’t give these protesters what they want.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 7:47 am

Nades wrote:
Was it any good on fuel?

no matter if i flogged it or drove it gently like a li'l ol' lady, it [2003 prius] got 44 miles per gallon on regular. in contrast, my '97 CRV gets 20 mpg no matter how i drive it.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 7:50 am

the protestors would be partially mollified if we banned the general sale to the general public, of hot rods, coal rollers and Humvees.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 8:10 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Talking about the practicality of electric cars is pertinent to this discussion—because some of the protests involve the society getting away from gas-powered cars, and to electric, clean vehicles.

In order for a conversion to non-fossil fuel vehicles to be successful, the infrastructure for this would have to be improved greatly.

At this point, we can’t give these protesters what they want.

When they mention their jobs it's usually artist, media, teacher, coffee shop worker, librarian and so on. They're the last people to listen to yet alone do they understand the basic concept what what their goals entail. Occasionally I hear one of them mention they're an electrician but that's usually the best they can do.

They would be like the blind leading the blind if they actually had to build a wind farm or nuclear power station. They would probably crush themelves to death trying to offload the trucks.

They talk the talk but never walk the walk. They don't even make half arsed token gestures.

I might listen to them if they learned useful skills.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 8:11 am

auntblabby wrote:
Nades wrote:
Was it any good on fuel?

no matter if i flogged it or drove it gently like a li'l ol' lady, it [2003 prius] got 44 miles per gallon on regular. in contrast, my '97 CRV gets 20 mpg no matter how i drive it.

Nothing special even for 2003 standards I guess. My 2001 Corsa got about 46mpg.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 8:25 am

Nades wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Nades wrote:
Was it any good on fuel?

would the corsa seat 5 in reasonable comfort [headroom and legroom for 6' americans]? did the corsa have an automatic transmission/air conditioning with that gas mileage?

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 8:28 am

Nades wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
In order for a conversion to non-fossil fuel vehicles to be successful, the infrastructure for this would have to be improved greatly. At this point, we can’t give these protesters what they want.

When they mention their jobs it's usually artist, media, teacher, coffee shop worker, librarian and so on. They're the last people to listen to yet alone do they understand the basic concept what what their goals entail. Occasionally I hear one of them mention they're an electrician but that's usually the best they can do. They would be like the blind leading the blind if they actually had to build a wind farm or nuclear power station. They would probably crush themelves to death trying to offload the trucks. They talk the talk but never walk the walk. They don't even make half arsed token gestures. I might listen to them if they learned useful skills.

what is a "useful skill" in your view? teachers are very useful. so are the others. and what kind of society would we have sans artists and teachers and librarians? not one that i'd wanna live in.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 8:30 am

auntblabby wrote:
Nades wrote:
auntblabby wrote:
Nades wrote:
Was it any good on fuel?

would the corsa seat 5 in reasonable comfort [headroom and legroom for 6' americans]? did the corsa have an automatic transmission/air conditioning with that gas mileage?

4 easily but not 5. It had air con but was manual. Most cars here are (or were) manual. Dunno what air con done to the milage though.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 8:32 am

Nades wrote:
4 easily but not 5. It had air con but was manual. Most cars here are (or were) manual. Dunno what air con done to the mileage though.

even on my CRV, it is underpowered and in the summer months gets a bit less mileage with a/c running, and when i turn it on it feels like somebody stepped on the brakes. that is typical of economy cars in general.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 8:35 am

auntblabby wrote:
Nades wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
In order for a conversion to non-fossil fuel vehicles to be successful, the infrastructure for this would have to be improved greatly. At this point, we can’t give these protesters what they want.

When they mention their jobs it's usually artist, media, teacher, coffee shop worker, librarian and so on. They're the last people to listen to yet alone do they understand the basic concept what what their goals entail. Occasionally I hear one of them mention they're an electrician but that's usually the best they can do. They would be like the blind leading the blind if they actually had to build a wind farm or nuclear power station. They would probably crush themelves to death trying to offload the trucks. They talk the talk but never walk the walk. They don't even make half arsed token gestures. I might listen to them if they learned useful skills.

what is a "useful skill" in your view? teachers are very useful. so are the others. and what kind of society would we have sans artists and teachers and librarians? not one that i'd wanna live in.

Anything STEM related. Can't have a green Revolution without STEM jobs. Training for a STEM job or learning a skilled trade related to it is a bare minimum if they're gonna block the roads for everyone and even then they'll strain everyone's patience quickly.

Working in Starbucks while blocking roads demanding the unachievable (at least currently) isn't acceptable.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 8:49 am

We also need creative people, too.

A society dominated by STEM types with no creativity (or respect for creativity) will, inevitably, be a stagnant society.

Without that person who became obsessed with the idea of farming cereal grains to offset situations where the hunting isn't good, we would still be hunter-gatherers. That person might not have been a good hunter at all----but that person had useful skills in other areas

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 8:57 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
We also need creative people, too.

A society dominated by STEM types with no creativity (or respect for creativity) will, inevitably, be a stagnant society.

Without that person who became obsessed with the idea of farming cereal grains to offset situations where the hunting isn't good, we would still be hunter-gatherers. That person might not have been a good hunter at all----but that person had useful skills in other areas

I'm not on about getting rid of other fields of work. I just think protestors massively discredit themselves by not having the slightest experience being unable to contribute. Blocking roads already discredits protestors but being useless people overall in STEM adds insult to injury.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 9:03 am

I'm not for all those idiots blocking roads, either. Let me emphasize.

And some of them are unemployed----whether by choice or by circumstance.

But I don't believe in getting rid of the right to peaceful protests, as long as it doesn't cause much inconvenience. People have a right to voice their grievances in a democratic society. We are heading along a not-so-good road towards something like dictatorship or absolutism. We must stem the tide. Democracy was the thing that enabled "progress" in the first place. And it enabled the perpetuation of "progress."

Under the Soviet system, as an example, there was brief "progress"----but the absolutism of minds lead to apathy and stagnation, and hence a slow, steady decline in "progress" within the Soviet Union. Vodka overtook working for a living.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 9:20 am

You've all gone off on tangents. I'm not focusing on Just Stop Oil protesters, electric cars or whatever.

I'm talking about the government bill which says we aren't allowed to protest about anything, in a peaceful way or not. This would mean no strikes or protests will be allowed by ANY type of worker in any employment field, from cleaners to lawyers and everything else. About ANYTHING- long working hours, low pay, dangerous conditions, no sick leave, no maternity leave etc.

Or even to protest about police brutality. See how the police treated the women holding a vigil for Sarah Everard, who was murdered by a police officer. They beat the women up and it wasn't even a protest.

This government bill is going through parliament now.

I don't want to live in a world where I have to just accept whatever treatment my employer, government, police force or anyone else decides that I somehow deserve. I want to have a voice to say 'no thanks, I don't want to be treated badly like that.' If they imprison people for protesting, we will all end up in a terrible condition.

Let's hope we don't all end up like that: voiceless and helpless, being pushed into worse and worse situations.