We are no longer allowed to protest in Britain. At all.

Page 7 of 9 [ 144 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 9:52 pm

kraftiekortie wrote:
I feel like the technology is still too young.

I agree.
I don't understand electric cars anyway.
Electric prices are through the roof right now.
People can't afford to heat their homes.
How can they afford to fuel a car with electricity?

(Is it cheaper than household consumption rates? I'm confused.)

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 10:19 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I saw a news story about someone who bought an electric car and the battery died soon after.
They expected to call roadside and get a new battery for a couple hundred bucks.
It cost $20,000 for a new EV battery.
WTFFFF

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/families-sho ... -1.6116679

Oh yes, I remember hearing something similar. One guy was so angry at this hidden astronomical cost that he demolished the whole car. Also, apparently the old battery disposal is toxic to the environment. :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's 6 in one hand, half dozen in the other.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 10:46 pm

If a regular, 110-volt (in the US, Canada, some other places in the Western Hemisphere) is used, a considerable amount of electricity is used.

Perhaps more than the cost of gas.

There are some free charging stations. But most charge about $6 to $8 dollars for a full charge (of a Hyundai Tucson plug-in with a 33-mile range. It’s a little more than the cost of gas.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 10:51 pm

A 33 mile range? What does that mean?
Am I being too literal or does that mean they can only go 33 miles?

I've never even seen a charging station.
I can't imagine trying to find one in a pinch.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 3:30 am

KitLily wrote:
Members of the public were beating up the protesters, the police had to tell them to stop, recently.

https://www.independent.co.uk/climate-c ... 13425.html

Otherwise it's the police beating up peaceful protesters. They seem to pick on female protesters for some reason. Never big strong male ones...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-60707646

But they're being annoying to the general public. That's why some people are rough handling them. I think we'll be seeing increasing public discontent against protestors like this in the near future.

It reminds me of the time they jumped on the roof of a train and the infuriated public dragged them off and clobbered them. It was a glorious sight. Even started beating their camera man up.

People take issue with the protesters lifestyle too. It appears many of them don't work or have jobs that are against the protesters principals. Any protestor with their salt will find work contributing to the green Revolution. This never seems to be the case.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 5:56 am

A plug-in hybrid car uses both electricity and gas. The Hyundai Tucson Plug-In Hybrid has a 33-mile range when the “electric” mode is used—then it goes into gas mode. You get about 35 miles to the gallon in gas mode.

You have to get an app in order to get a map which tells you the location of charging stations.

I wouldn’t get an electric car just yet. If you’re environmentally conscious, you can get a regular hybrid which runs on gas and electricity all the time. You don’t have to charge these cars.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Nov 2022, 6:09 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
A plug-in hybrid car uses both electricity and gas. The Hyundai Tucson Plug-In Hybrid has a 33-mile range when the “electric” mode is used—then it goes into gas mode.

That seems practical. You do your daily commute mostly on electric and when you need to travel further, you use gas that is way quicker to charge.
Probably not really practical in deep countryside where everything is far away.
A hidden assumption is that you have at least an electric socket in your garage - reasonable in suburbs, mostly not true in cities.

So, a plug-in hybrid is a reasonable choice for suburb dwellers. Quite a large market.

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 6:22 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
A plug-in hybrid car uses both electricity and gas. The Hyundai Tucson Plug-In Hybrid has a 33-mile range when the “electric” mode is used—then it goes into gas mode. You get about 35 miles to the gallon in gas mode.

You have to get an app in order to get a map which tells you the location of charging stations.

I wouldn’t get an electric car just yet. If you’re environmentally conscious, you can get a regular hybrid which runs on gas and electricity all the time. You don’t have to charge these cars.

Hybrids are garbage. You have a tiny engine and tiny battery and motor pack with the benefits of neither.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Nov 2022, 6:39 am

Nades wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Hybrids are garbage. You have a tiny engine and tiny battery and motor pack with the benefits of neither.

Have you ever driven one?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 6:41 am

Having or not having a garage is the difference between an electric car being practical or impractical.

If a nation wants to promote electric cars, they must create many charging stations in cities.

Right now, the infrastructure for electric cars is very poor.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 6:53 am

a bit of public service advice from one aspie to many, this one owned a toyota prius a few decades back. NEVER GET A USED HYBRID, they are MONEY PITS because they are chock full of hard-to-replace high-value electronic parts of crap-shoot reliability. replacement batteries cost a small fortune. buy a used hybrid if you must, ONLY WITHIN ITS WARRANTEE PERIOD.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Nov 2022, 6:56 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Having or not having a garage is the difference between an electric car being practical or impractical.

If a nation wants to promote electric cars, they must create many charging stations in cities.

Right now, the infrastructure for electric cars is very poor.
We have an undreground garage place in our apartment building but no electric socket there.

When we are considering our possible next car, that's the main point against a plug-in hybrid (a fully electric car is impractical in Poland anyway, there are nearly no charging stations).
If the building was renovated and grid for slow charging installed in the garage (fast charging would be likely impossible due to fire safety), a plug-in hybrid would be an attractive option for us.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 7:00 am

magz wrote:
Nades wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Nope but both the engine and electric motor with batteries are usually a compromise if the two. I heard they're dire on freeways for fuel because their small engines are out of their power band and dragging an electric motors and batteries too. I've driven a pure electric and that was pretty OK

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 7:06 am

Nades wrote:
magz wrote:
Nades wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

Nope but both the engine and electric motor with batteries are usually a compromise if the two. I heard they're dire on freeways for fuel because their small engines are out of their power band and dragging an electric motors and batteries too. I've driven a pure electric and that was pretty OK

my prius could keep up with traffic alright, even up hills. it chirped the tires on takeoff if you weren't careful.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 7:13 am

auntblabby wrote:
Nades wrote:
magz wrote:
Nades wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:

my prius could keep up with traffic alright, even up hills. it chirped the tires on takeoff if you weren't careful.

Was it any good on fuel?

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

14 Nov 2022, 7:13 am

Nades wrote:

It's true that hybrids are not great for highway races. Their element is riding in traffic, with accelleration and braking all the time. Electric engines have power at any speed - unlike gas motors that need to gain some speed before they get momentum. And hybrids (along with electrics) recover energy from braking, making them burn less in traffic conditions than in a freeway.

The advantage of hybrid vs full electric is range when you have no infrastructure for purely electric cars.