Recently diagnosed and looking for adult support groups

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

princegeorge99999
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Nov 2022, 9:53 pm

Do any of you have recommendations on finding adult autism support groups? I don't want to sign up for a place and it's for parents with autistic children. This is new to me and I've struggled with this a very long time and also been in denial a very long time and want to follow my doctor's recommendations in finding others who are neurodivergent and support groups.

princegeorge99999
Hummingbird
Hummingbird

09 Nov 2022, 10:10 pm

FYI - Just stumbled onto this org which seems to have tons of resources https://www.aane.org/

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 6:38 am

I don't process "real time" interactions successfully and the thought of person to person interactions with strangers is not a good feeling. I do attend several online autism groups, this being one of them, and have found them to be very supportive. The best thing is knowing that there are others out there who understand, who have experience and insights from their own lifetimes of living autistic lives. There is so much to sort, so much emotional homework around new diagnosis. Everything we thought we understood about ourselves, our history, others in our lives, is turned upside down by looking at it all from this autism diagnosis perspective. Self care and self patience, self forgiveness will see you through. I am 6 years from my original suspicion that I might be autistic and 3 years from professional diagnosis, and still seeing new things about how autism worked in the background all my life without anybody knowing or even suspecting. Its a lot to sort. As time passes you will find the best way to self accommodate, the best way to live your life and adjust to using new tools and ways .... cheering you on, you are definitely not alone.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson