Past and Present Student with ASD Poll

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Was Assistive and Adaptive Tech available to you in the classroom?
Poll ended at 14 Nov 2022, 2:58 pm
Yes 11%  11%  [ 1 ]
No 89%  89%  [ 8 ]
Total votes : 9

Elizabeth.vargas91
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

10 Nov 2022, 2:58 pm

Hello, my name is Elizabeth. I am collecting information about the use of assistive and adaptive technologies in classrooms and whether they enhance students with ASD learning experiences as a part of my fieldwork for my Disability Studies MA Program at the CUNY School of Professional Studies. I have created a poll for both past and present students with ASD who have experience using assistive/adaptive technologies in the classroom or any academic setting. Your participation is greatly appreciated. I am looking forward to using your feedback to gain insight into a very important topic.

Thank you!

Udinaas
Veteran
Veteran

11 Nov 2022, 3:18 pm

In late elementary and middle school they let me type my essays with a keyboard because my handwriting was so bad.

steve30
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

12 Nov 2022, 4:15 am

No.

I'm not aware of anything that would have been particularly useful. Usually when people go on about assistive technology, it ends up being silly things like expensive software for drawing "mind maps" (which can be done much easier with a pen and paper), or "smartphone apps" which are nothing more than glorified diaries. Fortunately I went to school before all this stuff really took off.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2022, 8:00 pm

No. But I've not been in a student situation since 1976 and AFAIK there was no assistive and adaptive technology in those days. Not surprisingly I found the standard lecture experience practically useless unless I was fascinated with the subject, which hardly ever happened.