Worrying about Someone Else's Illness

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

playgroundlover22695
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

11 Nov 2022, 7:57 am

Hello, I am not sure if this happens to anyone else on here, but I'm looking for some advice. Yesterday my friend and I were at work and she told me she was feeling sick. She said she was going to try to make it through the day and then go to the doctor's. She made it until about 3pm (we get done at about 3:30-3:45 depending on when the kids leave) and then she left and went to the doctor's because she couldn't make it anymore. She was diagnosed with stress and ordered by the doctor to stay home for at least one day in bed. When she told me this, I got very worried and anxious. Before bed last night, she told me that if she felt better she would come into work today. I prayed for her health, but I woke up early tossing and turning in bed trying to sleep, but I couldn't because I was just so worried about her. This morning she told me she still didn't feel good. She said she was still exhausted and in a lot of pain but she had to do chores like laundry and take care of her grandson who is also sick. This makes me feel very worried and sad for her as I really do want to help her with her situation, but there's not much I can do. She is an amazing friend who is always there for me in my time of need and I always try to be there for her but I don't drive. I tell her over and over how sorry I am that she is sick and that if she needs anything to call on me but unfortunately, that's only a saying because what can I really do for her? I can't drive to her house nor could I do her laundry for her while I was at work. I also can't really bring her food or offer to babysit because I have to work and I have plans this weekend which were already made and I can't cancel. I'm concerned because the anxiety and guilt seems to be eating away at me. I just wish I could take all of her pain away and put it on me. I did talk to her this evening and we had a nice chat. She said she is feeling a little better and she will rest this weekend. I'm just worried she won't rest and she'll continue to deteriorate. This is making me have scary thoughts again that I don't want to have. I used to have these thoughts and feelings about a child I used to help with but now that he's gone from my life, I've become more attached to my friend. I know it's not healthy for me to be having these thoughts and feelings and I know I shouldn't be having them since I'm not the one who is sick and went to the doctor for chronic stress. It seems like there's always a person I need to take care of or "obsess" over for some reason. Right now it is my friend. I should also mention that I see her 5-6 days a week for several hours a day. We work together Monday-Friday and sometimes we hang out on Sunday. I'm worried because I don't want to be like this every time she gets sick or misses work because I know it's going to happen again at some point. Everyone gets a cold, a headache, the flu, or has a doctor's appointment at some point. Can anybody relate to this? Any advice on how to feel better. even when my friend is suffering?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2022, 7:47 am

Just don’t totally reject your friend.

“Be there” as much as possible—but remember that you have “a life,” too.

Your friend should keep track of her health and make all doctor’s appointments.

playgroundlover22695
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

12 Nov 2022, 6:56 pm

She's very self-sufficient and she never asks for anything. I just worry about her a lot because I know she needs rest and she has a lot of chores to do that I can't help with.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

13 Nov 2022, 6:32 am

It’s nice that you’re concerned for her……but don’t let that interfere with your enjoyment of life.

playgroundlover22695
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

14 Nov 2022, 9:14 pm

I appreciate it. Any tips to help cope with the anxiety that comes with worrying for a friend?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 9:38 pm

Tip:
Don't let your worry for others surpass how much they worry about you.

playgroundlover22695
Sea Gull
Sea Gull

23 Jan 2023, 8:53 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Tip:
Don't let your worry for others surpass how much they worry about you.

I don't think my friend is worried about me at all. However, I think she's trying to distance herself from me so she doesn't get hurt by my sadness. It's so hard not to worry. My friend told me awhile back to stop doing my addiction because the negative energy from it is making her sick. I stopped for over a month and now she's sick again. She said on Friday night that she was better, it was just a cough and she'd be back today unless she got hit by a bus (ha ha). Then, today she told me not to worry because everything is perfect. It's only a little cold with a fever, aches, chills, and a cough. How am I supposed to not worry about her just because she doesn't want me to? Also, I feel very conflicted now because I stopped what I was doing for HER so that she wouldn't continue getting sick and it didn't work. Now it feels like my quitting my nasty habit was all for nothing and I should just feel free to go back to it since that's what I enjoy. :(