What I've accomplished feels like it's not enough

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2022, 1:27 pm

I have a job that I have held for 6 years and I started driving my own car myself (later than other people who do it in their late teens/early twenties. I started at 28). But still doesn't feel like enough, I don't feel like I have career or own a business despite the job I'm doing, still single, or don't live in a house of my own. I seem to think all other people around me have all of those things I mentioned including the ones above. I keep reminding myself of other people closer to me who don't envy me for what I have such as my sister who doesn't drive or have a job as she is a full time mum to her son now but she has a house of her own. A friend of mine also doesn't drive but has a house of his own and a job and doesn't envy me. Yet despite these examples I still keep having these ridiculous comparison thoughts coming back to me.

techstepgenr8tion
Veteran
Veteran

12 Nov 2022, 1:32 pm

There's not much you can do about comparison of self to others other than be compassionate to yourself, realize it will happen, and pick at what you can continue picking at to make your social and economic milestones - if at least the path of doing that is helpful in multiple respects. We live in a culture that judges the heck out of people on their financial achievements and it's something that's just in the air - ie. if you aren't processing it then it's almost a one-way thing where you're constantly being judged, or worse - also being surprised.

“Love takes off the masks that we fear we cannot live without and know we cannot live within. I use the word "love" here not merely in the personal sense but as a state of being, or a state of grace - not in the infantile American sense of being made happy but in the tough and universal sense of quest and daring and growth.” - James Baldwin

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 5:51 am

At your age, I wasn’t even near getting my driver’s license. I certainly didn’t own my own home.

I agree with Tech. Comparing yourself to other people is useless.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 8:33 am

My dad and younger sister are both high fliers and own their own houses but I'm stuck on benefit and renting off the council (just moved to a better flat in a better area though). Started off well in my 20s with an electronics job but been downhill since.

Had to hand back my drivers licence due to health reasons as well. Aged 51 now.

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2022, 11:42 am

What type of success would you desire at your current age and also into the next 20 years or so?

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2022, 3:46 pm

It's classic cliche advice, but, there's a reason people say this stuff over and over and over: Stop comparing yourself to others. You aren't them and they aren't you. If you're doing the best YOU can, then you're doing just fine. If you can do more/better, then do the work to do that & achieve more. Only compare yourself to who you used to be. If today you're doing better and are better off than you were 5 years ago or yesterday, consider that a success. If you know you can do more than you are doing, set goals and work towards them and become better than you are.