Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Pepe
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 2:12 am

Quote:
COP27: Island nations want China, India to pay for climate damage
Reuters Read Article

High-emitting emerging economies, including China and India, should pay into a fund to help countries rebuild after climate change-driven disasters, the prime minister of island nation Antigua and Barbuda has said at COP27, according to Reuters. The comments by Gaston Browne, speaking on behalf of the Association of Small Island States (AOSIS), are significant because, as the article notes, they “marked the first time the two nations have been lumped into the list of major emitters that island states say should be held to account for damage already being wrought by global warming”.

https://www.carbonbrief.org/daily-brief ... te-damage/

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 5:27 am

In other news, people in Hell want ice-water*.

8) (*Actually, this was my uncle's favorite way of saying "No" to people.  I think it applies to those Island Nations, as well.)

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 6:17 am

Who are the island nations? Cant see link as each time I click on it, it throws me out of Google.

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 6:24 am

Fnord wrote:
In other news, people in Hell want ice-water*.

8) (*Actually, this was my uncle's favorite way of saying "No" to people.  I think it applies to those Island Nations, as well.)

If someone said that to me I would be puzzled because if it wasn't followed by an explanation of what the phraze means I would not know what relevence the statement has to the conversation. I don't get hints so I would just carry on talking not even realizing the other person was implying something by what they said. Glad you explained as now I know that that saying means "No". I would never have guessed that!

Mountain Goat
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 6:30 am

The EU, UK and the USA should not even dare accuse India and China of polluting, as the west has shifted most of their industries there to "Claim" they are cleaning their own enviromsnt up in their own countries. We have actually created far more pollution in this world by doing this as we now have added pollutionon to the top of this by shipping the products and raw materials half way across the world on a daily bases. It is absolutely crazy! Western leaders are absolutley insanely hypocritical if they dare even try to point the finger at Chinese or Indian pollution as look at what we've done!

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 6:59 am

Mountain Goat wrote:
The EU, UK and the USA should not even dare accuse India and China of polluting, as the west has shifted most of their industries there to "Claim" they are cleaning their own enviromsnt up in their own countries. We have actually created far more pollution in this world by doing this as we now have added pollutionon to the top of this by shipping the products and raw materials half way across the world on a daily bases. It is absolutely crazy! Western leaders are absolutley insanely hypocritical if they dare even try to point the finger at Chinese or Indian pollution as look at what we've done!

We dont move smokestack industries overseas for...the purpose of ... making the claim.

BUT, yes, Western countries are able to make the claim, and boast about reducing air pollution because (in large part) we now let Asian countries do our air pollution for us (because we are de-industrializing, and Asian countries now make our stuff for us). Though we have made progress on the consumer end (car emissions have gone down dramatically over the decades). On the producing end (pollution from industry) our reduction in air pollution probably has at least as much to do with industry leaving the country as it does with reducing actual air pollution through regulation.

Economic forces drive industries away. Including government regulation. Including pollution regulation.

A poor country trying to build up industry will not put regulation in the way and invite investors to make all of the smog they want. So yeah- we maybe polluting even more - to make the same stuff overseas.