Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

SkepticDeist
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

14 Nov 2022, 8:14 am

Hello,

Recently I have come to believe I may have Asperger's based on the experiences in my life I could not attribute to being a neurotypical person. I often have to explain my intentions as people can perceive me as blunt or rude if I don't -- when my only intention is to help.

I'm glad I found this forum, as I read the other posts here and the patterns of "speech" it seems like you guys are very similar to me in the way we form sentences, to a degree. Its relieving to know that I'm not just this extremely weird person and there may actually be a cause for it.

Most people tell me I'm quite strange, I'm very outgoing and will dance to music in public walking down the street, just generally not caring about how I am perceived--unless I can read a facial expression that shows discomfort, then I adjust my behavior accordingly.

I also don't have many sensory problems, except for dry lips and dry eyes, those drive me bonkers and I always keep a tube (or three) of high quality Shea lip balm and eyedrops nearby.

Well that was just a bit about me, but as I've learned in the past 5 years, the vast majority of people prefer talking about themselves, so let me know some things about you :)

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 10:52 am

SkepticDeist --- You sound like you are in the right place. Welcome to the site.

I am 74 years old and it has taken me a lifetime to figure out who I am and why I am different. It all has to do with the fact that humans are much more complex than any creature that came before us. We actually have multiple people coexisting inside us. Two are in charge during daytime. They exist in the left side of our brain and two occupy our nighttime during REM and NREM sleep. They are our nighttime brains and they exist in the left side of our skull. But humans are much more adaptive then anything that came before us. This is because when our left side of our brain is seriously damaged before birth or up to around age 12 years old, our bodies are capable of surviving by performing a brain flip. Our right side becomes the dominant daytime being and that is why we are so different. It is almost like we are living in the WRONG PLANET.

Anyways, welcome to the site and good luck on your journey through life.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 3:34 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope you like it here.

I hope you have found these two online tests:
=>- Autism-Spectrum Quotient Test (AQ)
=>- Aspie Quiz Registering is optional!
You might find them interesting and they might reinforce your suspicions.

Oh, based upon my experience, if your symptoms are mild, you are doing a good job of muddling through life, and are not looking for accommodations at work, etc., maybe don't rush into getting an assessment. Once you get the "Autistic" label some people might not look past it to see you...and some opportunities might be closed. I think I was fortunate to not find out I was Autistic until I was much older than you are; I didn't have the label so it never got in the way. But don't wait as much as I ended up waiting...I didn't find out I was Autistic until I was 64! A decade or two sooner might have been nice.

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 6:08 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :)

stratozyck
Deinonychus
Deinonychus

14 Nov 2022, 9:17 pm

I'm 39m, have 4 kids, and am living off of past accomplishments. My hope is to not have to work again, ever.

My initial plan was to save a lot of money but as I mentioned, I have 4 kids so that plan is gone.

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

15 Nov 2022, 8:06 pm

Hi and welcome! :)

Looking forward to reading more from you. Hope you’re managing alright in life. It’s by no means, easy, but I’ve found that working with it, not against it, can often save you from things like burnout. In other words, ensure you withdraw & recharge when you can, allow yourself to stim if/when needed & remember to appreciate & enjoy the positives.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

26 Nov 2022, 6:02 pm

Willkommen :mrgreen: