Prevalence of autism and autistic traits -suicide

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 9:55 am

Quote:
Autism is a neurodevelopmental condition, which is defined by social communication difficulties, increased sensory sensitivity, restricted interests and difficulties adapting to unexpected change (APA, 2013). The current prevalence in the general population in the UK is around 1.1%, although barriers to diagnosis remain, with a suggested large number of people being undiagnosed (Brugha et al., 2016).

In addition to this, Cassidy et al. (2014) suggest that autistic people are at significantly higher risk of experiencing suicidal thoughts and behaviours in comparison to non-autistic individuals. Autistic individuals show a higher prevalence of suicidal ideation (19.7% to 66%), and suicide attempts (1.8% to 36%) (Cassidy, 2020). Self-reported autistic trait are also associated with increased risk of suicidal behaviours and thoughts (Pelton et al., 2020). An explanation for this could be cognitive inflexibility in individuals with autism, which might make it challenging to see options out of crisis (Cassidy, 2020).

https://www.nationalelfservice.net/lear ... sm-suicide

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 9:58 am

It's a terrible thing to feel isolated, and to feel like people don't like you. I feel that's at the crux of why people feel so hopeless as to want to do away with themselves.

I remember those times in myself.

I had to learn to accept myself for who I am----which isn't much, but I'm not trash, either.

I feel like it's important for a person who feels isolated to at least pay heed to what somebody else is trying to say. If somebody feels like they're as ugly as the Hunchback of Notre Dame----yet they really are not all that bad-looking---then they have to be made aware of that fact.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 10:33 am

I was probably the most disliked boy ever at my then 506-511 year old public school. I was very shy and introverted, physically and socially awkward, crap at sports etc. I.e very different from the standard brash and supremely self confident public school boy.
I've never been able to get over the effects of the bullying . A situation not helped by a mental health system that's thought ,for the most part, that rubbing salt into a painful psychological wound was good mental health care. It wasn't. It was abusive, cruel, and stupid. I overdosed quite a lot. I used to put my fists through windows. I'd often curl into a foetal ball to try and shut the World out. I use emotional avoidance as best I can to cope. It doesn't always work. Sometimes I'm engulfed by strong feelings of anger,hurt,pain,frustration,sadness and despair.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 10:40 am

I’m totally sorry you had to go through that stuff. Frankly, I wish you could “redo” your life.

I was a pariah in school myself.

I’m a pariah to a certain extent within my family.

I’ve been lucky in some ways.

I’m glad you’ve survived your mess, and you have a Mensarite IQ without any of the pretension. And you got your stepdaughter and step grandkids.

I hope you could discern the positives in your life.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 11:02 am

In truth, I don't believe 99.99% of our population deserve to die prematurely.

firemonkey
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 12:05 pm

Thanks. You're one of the people I most admire here.

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 10:32 pm

Same...

No prom dates for me, never bought a formal dress in my life. I had a couple friends and we are still friends to this day, but for the most part I was avoided because I was a frequent flyer in the discipline office and kids didn't want to get into trouble along with me. Can't really blame them...

I think my biggest regret was that I didn't know sooner what was wrong (or right) with me. I might have paused before making some decisions that were not in my best interest.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

14 Nov 2022, 10:42 pm

Personally, I don't think thoughts of SH are necessarily related to not being liked.
I think they're often related to fatigue from stress, which doesn't have to be interpersonal.
My autistic granddad took his life.
He experienced a lifetime of sensory overwhelm and social phobia.
He had no interest in other people, and didn't care if they liked him or not.
He just wanted to be left alone, but sadly the world doesn't allow that mindset.

RIP to all we have lost.