Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

16 Nov 2022, 1:18 pm

https://www.vancouverisawesome.com/loca ... bc-6106690

Every ad like this inches us one step closer to people burning down empty mansions. lol maybe - but probably not. You'd think maybe people might just pop the locks and squat in them like happens to empty homes in France. (so I've read)

Last week there was an article about a craigslist ad offering 1 of 3 vans to live in in an apartment building parking lot for $999/mo and people don't know if it was serious or a joke as the ad was removed. https://globalnews.ca/news/9274758/ad-o ... raigslist/ There have been ads posted where people were charging $900/mo to park your van in their driveway and have access to a shower/laundry, and a few years ago there was someone paying $1000/mo to pitch a tent in a backyard and have access to the washroom and maybe kitchen in the house.

Nucking futs, all of this. Would be nice if it stopped any time soon.. - everything is now up to or over $1000 per bedroom now, even in the suburbs where I live. But because Canadians are too polite there have been no political assassinations or anything! :lol I'M JOKING but also serious. At the very least the whole lot of people that caused this mess should be run out of town and banished to frozen tundra way tf up North.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2022, 3:43 am

i am thankful i have my little tin can out in the woods.

League_Girl
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2022, 11:11 am

It's only for one month so this is fine if you are visiting or there for a month. My cousin lived in an apartment that small when she lived in Seoul for 6 months because she was teaching a class there.

But $900 is crazy but includes all utilities and you are renting that room in someone's home so it includes their personal space too you will be occupying.

Daughter: NT, no diagnoses.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2022, 2:25 pm

League_Girl wrote:
It's only for one month so this is fine if you are visiting or there for a month. My cousin lived in an apartment that small when she lived in Seoul for 6 months because she was teaching a class there.

But $900 is crazy but includes all utilities and you are renting that room in someone's home so it includes their personal space too you will be occupying.

It's crazy that this has somehow become normalized. That renting a broom closet to sleep in costs 900 bucks a month when that should be the price for a whole 1 bedroom apartment vs. $2.5-4k+ or whatever.

Yes, this is advertised as being for one month.. but this is becoming the normal price throughout huge swaths of the city. It's $1000+ to rent just a bedroom now in a shared household - even in the suburbs.

There have been ads charging $900/month if you want to park your van in a driveway and sleep there and then have access to the bathroom and shower inside the house. Someone was paying $1000/mo to pitch a tent in a backyard a couple Summers ago.

It's all NUTS and the reason there are ever more people living in their cars/vans/buses etc or in tents, parks/forests and so on.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2022, 1:40 am

if only some strongman would knock heads together and tell the greedheads to knock it off pronto.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2022, 3:38 am

auntblabby wrote:

Always nice to be grateful for what we do have. 8)

Even tin can homes are too pricey for most working class people these days, especially once you include pad rental.

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2022, 4:43 am

goldfish21 wrote:
auntblabby wrote:

Always nice to be grateful for what we do have. 8)

Even tin can homes are too pricey for most working class people these days, especially once you include pad rental.

mine is on its own land, no pad rental which is a ridiculous expense akin to paying rent for an entire apartment on top of having to pay for the tin can itself. i just pay utilities and property tax which for many years was just $350/annum. living out in the sticks has certain advantages.