Hmmmaybe I shouldn't ignore this sign. (I won't.)

Page 3 of 3 [ 44 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2023, 9:02 am

:?

Some people travel for work here, like around the Province or over to Alberta, sometimes to other countries. But I don’t need to apply for a job in LA and relocated to find work. Ever more of the work from LA based studios is done HERE. That’s why it’s called Hollywood North. That’s why they need to hire 800 new union members per year to meet contractual obligations with American, mostly LA based, producers.

There’s non union work here for Netflix shows, short films, independent movies, and TV commercials. But becoming a member of IATSE 891 is The Goal for everyone, not some consolation prize where you start out if you can’t find other work. Bottom line: It pays better - especially on big budget feature films. That’s who gets the contracts to make all the big movies. So, bigger paycheques and better benefits.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2023, 9:12 am

Sounds as if you have a good handle on the Industry up there ..keep on keepin on . :D

where ever you go ,there you are

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

01 Mar 2023, 9:39 am

Jakki wrote:
Sounds as if you have a good handle on the Industry up there ..keep on keepin on . :D

Yeah, they taught us a bunch of stuff. ;) Plus I know ppl in the biz. And the largest studio in Canada is being built 25 mins from my home - over 1,000,000 sf of stage space.

Apparent American scenic carpenters HATE us for cutting their grass as they get paid $55USD/hour and we do it for less in Canadian dollars.. which is still Very Good money for a worker bee here, and huge savings for the movie companies.

A scenic carpenter here that works full time-ish makes a six figure income, which is super solid - not very many jobs in our entire economy pay that much.

It’s also HUGELY a who you know and who likes you business. There’s no such thing as an apprenticeship or hours required to get to the next level, just someone who likes you giving you a promotion. So you can go from labourer to carpenters helper to scenic carpenter very rapidly if you’re liked - even if someone else does better work or has more experience. An interesting hierarchy. Good to know those are the rules of order to play by so I can do my best to get ahead faster.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2023, 9:07 am

Everything's built, lights and camera car rails all in position, set is decorated etc and they're going to shoot the scene today. Then this afternoon we have a few hour window to demolish the set and throw it all away.

I'm going to drive my van today so I can keep the hexagonal pedestal table some other members of the team built - I don't REALLY have space for it, but it's not huge and is the only practical piece to keep - especially since I might be moving then it'll be a functional keepsake.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

03 Mar 2023, 9:52 pm

They shot the little short film today, wrapped, and then we demolished the set and I kept a table the crew made.

Allllso, I think it’s a really good sign that the construction coordinator (top guy on the instructor crew) double checked and asked that they had my phone number before I left. Maybe he’ll offer me a job, or at least recommend me to other crews. Super cool - kinda stoked to shift gears into this environment. Longer hours, good people, fun work, great pay & benefits. 8)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Mar 2023, 10:12 pm

Looked at the union applications tdy. Gotta fill those out asap.

Lull in local work, but if I wanna put tools to work asap my cousin told me Alberta is poppin’ off so once I have permittee status in IATSE I can sign into the Alberta local and go work there. I’d do it for a short term gig buuuut timing - I don’t wanna go work there all Summer THIS summer because it’ll be my father’s last summer of motorcycle riding before he dies sooooo if he wants to ride I wanna ride with him and if he wants to plan road trips for wknds or one Big One to Sturgis then I don’t wanna be stuck on Alberta making cash and missing out on the last rides of his life.

This Summer in particular, work life balance means something. But after my father’s passing if I don’t have anything keeping me here I’ll hit the road and build film sets and cash those cheques. 8)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2023, 3:19 pm

Gonna go do some volunteer work for snacks/beer & volunteer credit this eve to help load up all the pieces from a Christmas short film that was just shot for the Crazy 8’s film fest this eve. They just need hands to help load trucks.

Small world, this set was built in a day by two of my set construction classmates.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

12 Mar 2023, 8:22 pm

I’m on a film set rn. They gave me a walkie talkie and people wandering by are acknowledging me as if I have any idea what I’m doing here. :lol: Probably my age and epic beard. :P

For the next 1h 15mins I’m just here to parrot words like “Rolling,” and “Cut,” when I hear them over the radio so anyone nearby knows to stfu. After they finish shooting the last scene we have 2 hours to pack everything up, load trucks, and roll out. For this I get snacks, a hotdog, drinks (possibly beer I was told), my name in the credits And most importantly: the director and her assistants are keen to have contact info for anyone involved in Set Construction so they can call me/others for future project builds. 8) Maybe another volunteer project, but afaik they’re talking paid projects. Either way right now is fine with me - I have time to donate until I can get into a paid role.

Location is kinda neat, too. It’s a creepy old Dairyland facility where my grandfather used to work 60 years ago.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

13 Mar 2023, 3:31 am

I was one of only 2 construction department guys to show up to help pack up and load trucks after they finished shooting - good to be one of few; get noticed.

The top several positions on this shoot were all held by women. They were all Good at what they do - def not a “man’s world,” on every set.

The top one I interacted with works for a local production company that mostly does commercials, and sometimes a feature. Commercials are non union work & a place where a lot of ppl get their start in various disciplines. For our work, it means we can be a Jack of all trades vs one single department only on a union job - pros and cons - good to be able to make yourself useful doing a bit of everything on a small production.

These ppl had very few construction contacts and were appreciative to meet me and take down my contact info. Never know, might turn into some paid work building stuff for tv commercials.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2023, 3:10 pm

Film is still dead here and everywhere. A Dolly Grip I know is doing farm labour and maintaining farm equipment - good honest work! One of the set construction guys I know from the beach is supposedly getting back to work starting next week starting on a 2 year job building sets for Tron 3. I saw him a couple days ago - but I didn't ask him again if he'd try to get me on as a labourer with his crew.. I'll wait a bit til he's back to work and in good with his boss and buddies and see if I can get on their crew. If so that'd leapfrog me past a couple years of spotty employment.

A guy I took the class with posted about some single day set dec gigs. I messaged him and he got back to me and said someone else had filled the spots, but that a carpenter on set needed a helper so I gave him my number to pass along. Maybe something will come of that.

When it happens it happens. Otherwise I have a couple small drywall job leads to follow up on and then go do - they're both pretty much gimmes afaik. But never know could fall through.

If a film set building gig comes along I'll punch a clock. Otherwise I'll just take on casual contracts here and there doing drywall finishing just to float the bills and then spend the rest of the summer getting outside. Beach, motorcycle, and I think I'm gonna actually go buy some more kiteboarding gear I need to replace and get out and go kiting again. 8)

Winters Gate
Veteran
Veteran

06 Jun 2023, 3:42 pm

Wow that sounds really neat.

I wish you the best of luck.in this endeavour.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

20 Jun 2023, 5:59 pm

Last Friday was my first ever paid day on a film set. I got hired the night before over the phone to be the “on set carp,” (carpenter) for the day.

The job I was hired for was redundant - but I was cheap insurance. They wanted me there to be able to tilt some 10x4 mirrored walls just in case they caught reflections from different camera angles but they never did so I never had to do it.

Sooo, I made myself useful helping peel vinyl off a floor, making some props, cleaning up, re-installing a baby gate & TV mount in the house that was also used for filming etc.

Must have made a decent first impression as the construction coordinator texted to say he got great reviews and invited me to come back and work tmw helping do tear down.

For day 1 it was $400 for a day rate up to 12h, plus snacks lunch dinner coffee etc. “Worked,” less than 11 hours, minus lunch, and really only actually worked maaaybe 5 hours lol as most of it was just standby stuff during camera repositions just in case walls had to move - then ya gotta work quick like an Indy Car Pit Stop so cameras can roll ASAP as time is money Big Time on film sets.

Tmw $350 for 10 hours to tear down. Probably still have craft services there providing food, if not whatever, I always have food with me so nbd.

Chatted with a young woman in Set Dec(oration) - they place furniture and hang picture frames etc etc then get it all cleaned up and organized to send back to the right prop houses. (Rentals) She lucked out and worked full time+ last year on mostly union jobs and mostly Lead Set Dec roles and grossed $147k for the year. Good money in film for signing your life over to it.