Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2022, 8:36 am

Next week, I am having an annual thanksgiving dinner at my home with some friends. Every year I do my share of cooking turkey, stuffing, and a few other side dishes. Meanwhile, I create a list of Thanksgiving-related type foods that can by bought at the store, to contribute to the event, which you can get pre-made at the store. As the event gets closer, I like to use the platform messenger to contact people in which I remind them to go through the list and let everyone know who is bringing what. I have also been putting some fun Thanksgiving videos in the invitation.

Well, a friend originally said he was coming and signed up to bring sodas but decided to bail last night. He said, "I want to rest and that's the only Friday that I have things to do so."

Am I overdoing it?

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2022, 4:12 pm

I think, if he's a friend, then you have to take it at face value. He's tired and its the only time he can rest. At least he let you know in advance and didn't bail half an hour before, leaving you with no soda.

It's always really hard when you're excited about something and putting lots of work in and other people involved just don't seem to put the same value on it that you do. Even when you're making it as easy as possible for them. But that's people, I think. They have their own ideas about stuff, their own needs and wants. They're annoying :)

It sounds like you're doing a really good thing for your friends. Hope it's a hoot!

Summer_Twilight
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2022, 9:04 am

Thanks for your kind and encouraging words because sometime I do tend to come on too strong for people and it can scare them away. For instance, I looked at the amount of times I have sent messages in the paperless invitation platform.

1. I messaged everyone on Monday and Wednesday
2. Additionally, I set the invite to send out two reminders, at two weeks and then again today.

Yes, I am also excited because this Friendsgiving event because it's something that I am passionate about. I don't know what it is about cooking a huge turkey every year with stuffing but it's so much fun.