Would you date your friend's ex?

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2022, 6:54 pm

For example, if they ended things on relatively good terms, they are still friends and they broke up a while ago?

Discuss.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2022, 7:01 pm

If I had a crush on that girl before a friend dated her, definitely.

Lost_dragon
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2022, 11:21 pm

The main reason I ask is because something vaguely amusing occurred recently. I was at a bar with a friend and we were talking about my friend's ex-girlfriend (whom I'd never met before). We hadn't hung out in a while so we were catching up on each other's lives. Anyway, he was talking about how things ended on a fairly positive note and how they were still friends despite the break up. He joked about how she is bisexual so maybe I have a chance. Then he started talking about how I should get out there more, which is true to be fair.

Anyway, turns out we unknowingly went to the same bar as his ex-girlfriend. We unintentionally crossed paths and sure enough, they began chatting. It seemed strange to think that they had previously dated, I didn't get that vibe. However, I had to leave shortly after that to catch a train. Apparently she'd heard of me. No idea what he's told her (if anything). Probably embarrassing stories. :lol:

I didn't form much of an impression about her character since I had to dash off to catch my train. Still, it did make me wonder, what would I do in a situation where I liked my friend's ex? Just in general, not just exes of that particular friend. It would ultimately depend on the situation. Oh well. Hopefully I'll never have to worry about that.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2022, 12:30 pm

The second person I had sex with was one of the people my first girlfriend hung out with in college*, although I question whether they were truly "friends" as I don't think they ever contacted each other after graduating (BTW I was never aware that she had any close female friends, just people she hung out with in college).

I suppose you could accuse that person of dating her friend's ex, although just having sex with somebody on a handful of occasions probably doesn't count as "dating."

*as the OP is British, I would like to point out that "college" has a different meaning in the US than in the UK. I and this other person were both 22 at the time.

amykitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

19 Nov 2022, 1:20 pm

MaxE wrote:
*as the OP is British, I would like to point out that "college" has a different meaning in the US than in the UK. I and this other person were both 22 at the time.

Regardless of college be it 16+ in the UK or university college in the states everyone would of been a consenting adult at the time :)

Lost_dragon wrote:
I didn't form much of an impression about her character since I had to dash off to catch my train. Still, it did make me wonder, what would I do in a situation where I liked my friend's ex? Just in general, not just exes of that particular friend. It would ultimately depend on the situation. Oh well. Hopefully I'll never have to worry about that.

If you guys hitted it off you could ask your friend for her number or see if you can arrange a place/time where you can meet. If they are friends on facebook you might be able to message her on there and get more of a feeling on it went from her pov and go from there. I don't think there is anything wrong per se, more so as everyone is on good terms, but it might be nice to let your friend know that you thought she was pretty cute etc and see how he feels about it.