Would the earth have been better off if humans never existed

Page 2 of 3 [ 34 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

17 Nov 2022, 11:55 pm

Sweetleaf wrote:
^that video is right though, people didn;t listen to the scientists so yeah now we are in the 'we're f****d' stage of climate change. And scientists had been warning about it since at least the 1970's...

Indeed, though I like this lady's sense of dark humor though and how she can say these things with such a straight face. :lol:

I think If I were doing this video as a spokesperson for the American government alone I'd probably refer to the flooding and forest fires happening in our states like this:

"Hello, I'm from the American Government. Things are going... err, fine overall. Texas is fine, half of California is fine. Colorado, Louisiana, Florida, even New York City is under f*****g water err... i mean um 'fine'!" :lol:

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2022, 12:01 am

That all said we had a whole planet, and greedy people took all it could give and now we're all f****d because of some greedy oil billionaires.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2022, 12:03 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
That all said we had a whole planet, and greedy people took all it could give and now we're all f****d because of some greedy oil billionaires.

Indeed, it really sucks when we're all f****d. :|

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2022, 12:07 am

No way. I will not be denied music or television.

enz
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2022, 12:17 am

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2022, 12:32 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Indeed, it really sucks when we're all f****d. :|

It does but no way around it, I mean weather is getting worse everywhere we are in for some crazy super-storms becuase of what humans have done to the climate. We had a chance to fix it and didn't so now scientists are trying to figure out how they can mitigate some of the damage but from what I undderstand it may not be enough. So yeah the only appcalypse will be people destroying the planet when they didn't even need to do that.

But I mean not needing to do it didn't stop the u.S from putting a second atomic bomb on a civilian city did it, so there is that.

MuddRM
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

18 Nov 2022, 1:39 am

Final lines from T. S. Eliot’s Hollow Men says it all:

“This is the way the world shall end
Not with a bang but a whimper.

Chuckster
Toucan
Toucan

18 Nov 2022, 4:57 am

Yes.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2022, 7:22 am

Probably not, ultimately.

DuckHairback
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2022, 9:20 am

Maybe it's not humans that are the problem. We're just animals, like all the rest. Maybe the problem is consciousness. I mean the specific sort of consciousness that humans have, I know animals have a kind of consciousness but I'm going to use the word consciousness to mean human levels of consciousness because I don't know a better word.

Maybe consciousness is an evolutionary dead end and any animal that develops it will sooner or later wipe themselves out and probably take a whole lot other species with them. The minute an animal starts to understand the processes in action around it, it starts to wonder how it can change those processes to benefit itself. And then we're dicking around with things we don't understand and causing unintended consequences. The emergence of consciousness in an animal could then be seen as a natural disaster, like a meteor impact or other extinction level event.

If we didn't know what we are, had no awareness of ourselves beyond the sensory input, like most animals, we'd probably still be subject to all the natural things that keep population in check. We'd be too busy with the day to day business of surviving to get ourselves into too much trouble.

So while I do think that the earth would be better off if we had never existed, I think if we could have existed without developing consciousness, that would have been okay too.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2022, 9:32 am

DuckHairback wrote:
Maybe it's not humans that are the problem. We're just animals, like all the rest. Maybe the problem is consciousness. I mean the specific sort of consciousness that humans have, I know animals have a kind of consciousness but I'm going to use the word consciousness to mean human levels of consciousness because I don't know a better word.

Maybe consciousness is an evolutionary dead end and any animal that develops it will sooner or later wipe themselves out and probably take a whole lot other species with them. The minute an animal starts to understand the processes in action around it, it starts to wonder how it can change those processes to benefit itself. And then we're dicking around with things we don't understand and causing unintended consequences. The emergence of consciousness in an animal could then be seen as a natural disaster, like a meteor impact or other extinction level event.

If we didn't know what we are, had no awareness of ourselves beyond the sensory input, like most animals, we'd probably still be subject to all the natural things that keep population in check. We'd be too busy with the day to day business of surviving to get ourselves into too much trouble.

So while I do think that the earth would be better off if we had never existed, I think if we could have existed without developing consciousness, that would have been okay too.

Which actually puts that symbolic metaphor of Adam and Eve eating the forbidden fruit from the Tree of Knowledge into perspective, doesn't it? :wink:

However the human species came into the power of all this knowledge, we clearly were too irresponsible to handle such a heavy responsibility given to us.

Or as Homer Simpson once said: "I've come to hate my own creation! Now I know how God feels."

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2022, 12:11 pm

Definitely.We suck.It’s why I’m a hermit and try to take care of the small space of earth I live on.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2022, 12:23 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
So when the SHTF, are we going to have to deal with gangs of marauding raiders from the nearest big city who have run out of their own supplies and try to take what we have by force? Raping and burning and pillaging like the Vikings and Mongolians attacking poor villagers of ancient times?

Back to the dark ages i guess. :|

It's kind of ironic you write that because in the pandemic summer of 2020, my little village was indeed ransacked by marauders from the nearby city. They drove out of the city to come to this nice little place to raid the shops and see what they could buy. Because their shops had run out of everything.

They had no masks, no social distancing, they were shouting, coughing and spitting at the shop assistants. It was hellish at the weekends. The locals didn't go shopping at the weekends due to the marauders. And when they'd gone, there was no food left for the locals e.g. elderly people who didn't drive.

Sounds like this will be the future.

Misslizard
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2022, 12:48 pm

KitLily wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
So when the SHTF, are we going to have to deal with gangs of marauding raiders from the nearest big city who have run out of their own supplies and try to take what we have by force? Raping and burning and pillaging like the Vikings and Mongolians attacking poor villagers of ancient times?

Back to the dark ages i guess. :|

It's kind of ironic you write that because in the pandemic summer of 2020, my little village was indeed ransacked by marauders from the nearby city. They drove out of the city to come to this nice little place to raid the shops and see what they could buy. Because their shops had run out of everything.

They had no masks, no social distancing, they were shouting, coughing and spitting at the shop assistants. It was hellish at the weekends. The locals didn't go shopping at the weekends due to the marauders. And when they'd gone, there was no food left for the locals e.g. elderly people who didn't drive.

Sounds like this will be the future.

That’s what they did here.They all left the city to come camp here like it was a pandemic holiday.I drove past the river and you couldn’t see the ground for all the tents.Cars parked all over the road.
https://www.arkansasonline.com/news/202 ... arn-of-to/

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2022, 1:05 pm

I feel very lucky that my town avoided anything like that when the pandemic first hit. I mean the worst that happened to us was that we ran out of toilet paper and certain other food and supplies at our local Walmart, but people were still being very civil throughout all this.

However when things really do get bad I don't think that will last forever. That's what worries me. :|

aghogday
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2022, 2:18 am

SMiLes, i Suppose Cubs
of Certain Lionesses
Will Be Better Off
if Competing Lions
For Mates

Don't Eat
Them Alive

Dead Yet We Humans
Tend to Ignore That As

We Vault Lions to Kings

In Disney Movies Hehe;

Yet This is Life; it's Full of DarK

And LiGHT, Whether Or Not The Earth
Would Have Been Better Off if Humans Never

Existed Might Be Better Blamed on A Celestial

Event About 66 MiLLioN Years Ago in A Mass Extinction

That Killed Off the Dinosaurs And Made The Gulf Of Mexico

About 20 Miles to the South of me, Where Some of the Most

Beautiful Sugar White Sands, Emerald Green Waves, Sea Oats Swaying

In The Breeze, And
Sea Gulls Spiraling

The Sun May Teach
Us How to Dance ALong
With Shore Lines Coming in Free

With Waves Receding And GRoWinG

More With
Low
Tides
That Become Higher;

We aRe the Earth too;
Like Lions Too, the Snake

Of Nature Consumes 'The Tale'

Of Nature ThiS Way DarK Thru LiGHT;

If Not For That Celestial Event Creating Mass
Extinction of the Dinosaurs That Perhaps Still
Exist

in Chicken

Feet That

Hold Our Food
Chain Supply Up, in Part,

The Small Rodent Shrew
We Evolve From Then Might

Still Be A Rodent Instead of A Human;

True, Some Shrews Still Are Just Shrews

Yet Still Sharing So Much of THeir DNA With Us...

The UNiVeRSE As We KnoW It, isn't Always A Fair And

Balancing

Way of Existence;

Humans Are Living Out of Balance
With the Rest of Nature And the Rest
Of Nature May Find Ways to 'Spank' Us Even More
BacK iN Balance That We Never Imagined Before;

For i Surely
Understand
in a Microcosm

Of my Existence

DarK Still Makes LiGHT Real;

It's Sort of Like Tonight's Spector
of Trump Returning to Twitter;

Just Continuing to 'Own'

The 'Repubs' As Best He
Can And Will Most Likely For

Gathering Up More Funds to Spend;

Yes, Lions Continue To Munch on the
Cubs of Competing Lion Spawn As "The

Old Testament" of the Bible Gives Great Joy

in Dashing Stones On Children's Heads And
Killing Opposing
Tribe's Children,

Dead, DEAD, DEAD;

Go Figure, Humans
Are Capable With Our
iMaGiNaTioNS and Co-Creativities

to Create Great Dreams AND Nightmares Come to Fruition;

If The Dream of Charlton Heston, On 'The Planet of the Apes'
That He Found At the End of the 1968 Movie Comes True,

There Won't Even Be

A Remnant of A Statue
of Liberty on A New York Beach
In Just 300 Million Years From Now;

Not a Trace of Human Artifacts Left on Earth then;

Sooner Or Later, IT All Returns to Star DusT AGAiN; Meanwhile,

Most Every Human i Actually Interact With These Days Both Online

And Offline Are 'Living Angels on Earth;' Even in 'TRump Town USA; Even

Those Who Have
Fallen to
Conspiracy

Theories too;

However, Most of that
Has to Do With Seeing

God For Real As Them;

And Acting With the Kind
of Kindness That Comes When
Ya Worship All of Existence DarK
Thru LiGHT and Leave No Part Out;

We aRe aLL Nature Part and Nature Whole;

Sadly, Some Humans Divide This And 'Lose Their Grip'...

Meanwhile, THere is Charlton Heston And Perhaps A Most

Beautiful Woman In the World (Nova) on the Back Of His Horse in A Real

Paradise on Earth

Refurbished

Mostly After
Nuclear Destruction,

While Charlton Grips 'His
Gun' And Pounds on the
Sands of The Beach Lamenting

The Loss of Tools That Humans
Prior Become More Than Part of EartH
And Nature

Forgotten,

Whole, And Free;

Yet You See; This Doesn't
Really Have to End That Way;

We Do Have the Potential Relative
Free Will to Write, Direct, Produce,
And Play a Different Ending Now;

Meanwhile, i'm

Gonna Focus

More on Loving Roses
Than Thorns of Guns Now; Yes,

Go Figure, It's Not Always Easy
to Convince Folks to Do This
Naked Enough Whole Complete

Still Smelling
Like Roses
And THoRNS For Real...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDLS12_a-fk

Gravatar is one of the coolest things ever!! !

http://en.gravatar.com/katiemiafrederick