Iceland May Be Better Than Outer Space

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

18 Nov 2022, 7:59 pm

https://www.npr.org/2022/11/18/1137367613/iceland-tells-tourists-its-like-an-alien-planet-a-nasa-scientist-agrees

Juliette
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2022, 3:58 am

Thanks for sharing this AA. I found Iceland to be very much an alien-like planet, with dangerous sneaker waves that are deadly, on the black sand beaches. Reynisfjara or Black Beach, near Vik, has warning signs up. There are dramatic changes in weather within moments, that tourists need to be aware of, both on road & off. Vision can be greatly impaired within seconds. A land of extremes, but also of great beauty. From the Icelandic wild horses, to the guysers, clampons on your snowboots are essential, if out walking in the colder months, hiking uphill to view the glaciers. The cats of Reykavik are wild, and beautiful! I photographed a couple of them, who had wandered into a store that was selling woollen blankets & the like, curled up sleeping on them. The Women’s Institute sell wall to wall Icelandic woollen jumpers, hand-made & very scratchy, but very popular with tourists.

Tourists need to be aware that it’s a very expensive place, that fuel costs a small fortune, as does food. The petrol stations charge en masse 3-4times up-front on fuel, unexpectedly taking far more than the genuine cost, if using a card of any kind, only reimbursing you many months later. This is standard at most petrol stations over there.

KFC is the only take-away I saw, and they charged around £25 for one burger. They have interesting, unusual toppings on pizza & interesting beers, though I prefer wine.

An amazing experience & staying within the Golden Circle area is highly recommended. There are never any guarantees that you’ll see the Northern Lights though.

Some LIVE webcam feeds across Iceland…
https://adventures.com/information/iceland-through-webcams/south-iceland/

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2022, 8:43 am

I recognize some of that scenery from the movie "Interstellar".

The local music is also rather..."extraterrestrial" in style.

bjork

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2022, 11:41 pm

I want to go to the Penis Museum in Reykjavik.

Yes, it's a real thing.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2022, 12:09 am

I have asked my daughter to go with me to Iceland after I go with her to Scotland. I hope it happens! :heart:

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Rossall
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2022, 1:33 am

Yes, I particularly like their Gregg's sausage rolls.

Interests: music (especially 80s), computers, electronics, amateur radio, soccer (Liverpool).