Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

Mikah
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2022, 7:39 am

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/you ... grate-now/

As usual for most political articles, it misses the bigger picture, but still this is an enjoyable, cathartic rant. American readers will appreciate it too, it's as true there as it is here, if not more so.

Britain is no country for young men

If I had to give one piece of advice to Britons under 30 it would be this: go. Leave. Skedaddle. Get one of those work visas for New Zealand or Canada and start a new life. Fret not over the details. Those can be worked out once you’re there. Don’t make excuses, don’t defer, don’t delay. Trust me, you’ll regret it one day. Think of Britain as the creepy, cobweb-bound manor from a thousand schlocky horror movies: get out while you still can.

The social costs of delaying or denying home ownership – less marriage, deferred parenthood, cultural atomisation – are of acute concern to social conservatives. The economic costs are an issue to those who prioritise growth. Economies of precarious private renters are likely to be less innovative, more risk-averse and will struggle to attract skilled migrants. Not being especially bothered about social cohesion or economic dynamism, the Tories aren’t troubled by such matters. What should trouble them is the political cost: a generation with nothing to conserve will have no reason to vote Conservative.

The Conservative party has not stood idly by in the face of these destructive trends. It has muscled in on the action, appointing itself the parliamentary wing of Nimbyism and keeping the housing supply choked in the interests of its older, rural and semi-rural voter base. The Tories once imagined themselves the party of home ownership but today they are the party of home owners, home owners content to see others denied the same opportunity. They have allowed Britain to become a crumbling, sclerotic gerontocracy, the world’s first retirement home to have a seat on the UN Security Council.

Younger people must not speak of these things. To do so risks accusations of rudeness or disrespect, as though objecting to damaging societal developments is a personal insult to those who have benefited from them. To point out that, at £116 billion a year, the state pension is by far the most expensive welfare benefit, and the second-largest spending commitment in the entire UK budget, is to be met with sputtering rage. To talk about how prohibitively expensive it is to buy a house is to get dazzlingly clueless counsel about avoiding takeaways and holidays abroad. Deliveroo is the reason you can’t buy a house, not the fact that they cost 9.1 times the average salary today compared to 3.5 times in 1997. Not all boomers are oblivious, of course, but it sticks in the craw to be lectured on manning up and practising frugality by the most pampered generation in history, in particular those who have pulled up the ladder behind them.

This is why millennials have resigned ourselves to our lot in life, watching our youth slip away as we become forty-something singles and fifty-something renters, a middle-aged precariat that had the misfortune to be young in an old country. It’s too late for us but not for those of you in Generation Z. You still have a chance. Britain is a nation in the late Sunday afternoon of its life, comfy-slippered and softly snoozing, but there are young countries out there. Countries where you can work for yourself rather than the social care budget, where you can achieve those indispensable conditions of continuity that Britain denies you.

I speak from cold, hard experience. My dream was Australia. I never pursued it. It is my sorest regret. Don’t be like me. Don’t regret. If you’re young enough, fit enough and brave enough, don’t settle for being a dutiful helot to a surly Gerousia. Get out, get somewhere and get a life you can be proud of.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2022, 1:15 pm

lol home affordability is as bad or worse in Canada unless you move to an undesirable place to live.

I suppose it would be easier for a foreigner to move to some Northern resource town and work than it is for locals to leave friends/family/home. And then there is always the option of being somewhere on the prairies.. if that's for you.

But a city like Vancouver or Toronto? (and many other places in Canada) May as well move to London, Hong Kong, or Sydney.

Nades
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2022, 3:16 pm

Avoid he usual non-STEM degrees or get a trade and you should be relatively OK provided you're ruthless. Honest to god, buying a house off a boomer is a f*****g nightmare. Tell them to f**k off and walk away if they start playing up over the pennies (which they will)

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2022, 3:32 pm

Nades wrote:
Avoid he usual non-STEM degrees or get a trade and you should be relatively OK provided you're ruthless. Honest to god, buying a house off a boomer is a f*****g nightmare. Tell them to f**k off and walk away if they start playing up over the pennies (which they will)

Pennies? :?

More like Millions. :lol:

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2022, 3:57 pm

goldfish21 wrote:
Nades wrote:

Pennies? :?

More like Millions. :lol:

British understatement.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2022, 5:28 pm

What is this "playing up over the pennies" of which you speak? Driving a hard bargain?

I suppose at my age I'm on the mild end of being a "boomer." No experience of selling a house to a younger buyer. I feel sorry for everybody except the wealthy in the UK, and even sorrier for them in the USA. I feel I've been somewhat screwed over by whatever passes itself off as the system in the UK, but probably not as screwed over as what's happening to younger folks. Still, my son seems to be doing better than I did economically, under his own steam.

I suppose now it's not PC to bash the Jews, a new scapegoat has to be found.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2022, 9:06 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
...even sorrier for them in the USA.

Don't be feeling sorry for us in the USA.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2022, 9:50 pm

MaxE wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

So life's good for young men in the USA?

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2022, 10:10 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
MaxE wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

Good morning!

Depends on the individual, I just don't see any reason to pity Americans.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2022, 10:35 pm

MaxE wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
MaxE wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

Good morning!

You seen the news lately?

Whole lotta trumpism reasons to pitty Americans.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

19 Nov 2022, 10:38 pm

I dunno about you, but I don't feel my fellow Americans deserve pity simply because half of them sold their souls to Trump while the other half sold their souls to the CCP.

Hell I feel more pity for the Germans during World War 2 than I ever will Americans. At least the Germans had a legit excuse for going down the destructive path of evil that they did.

Americans have no real excuse for wanting to destroy their own democratic republic for the sake of becoming an authoritarian dictatotship. We're being idiots and most of us deserve every bad thing that we have coming to us.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2022, 12:35 am

MaxE wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
MaxE wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

Good morning!

It's 10.55pm here, so I'll take that as a "good evening." But good morning to you.

My feeling sorrier for you in the USA than them in the UK is very subjective and much based on my geographically narrow experience of both countries. I suppose even phenomena like Trump and his fans, easy-hire-and-fire law, mass shootings, etc. aren't abominations in the really strictly objective sense. And I have to admit those Covid relief payments were tons more generous than anything the UK government handed out.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2022, 6:08 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
It's 10.55pm here, so I'll take that as a "good evening." But good morning to you.

You live in Newfoundland? I had thought you lived in the UK, sorry!

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2022, 8:12 am

MaxE wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:

You live in Newfoundland? I had thought you lived in the UK, sorry!

OK so when I posted that it was 22:10 here so in the UK it would have been like 3 the following morning. I was confused because your response seemed roughly one half hour off which made me think of NFLD. TBH I suck at mental arithmetic but I had thought you were British.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2022, 8:28 am

I’m thinking ToughDiamond lives in the Mountain Time Zone, two hours behind the Eastern Time Zone, where I reside.

MaxE
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2022, 9:37 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
I’m thinking ToughDiamond lives in the Mountain Time Zone, two hours behind the Eastern Time Zone, where I reside.

I always thought he was British for some reason.