Mass shooting at Colorado LBGTQ nightclub

Page 1 of 6 [ 89 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2022, 10:25 am

At least 5 killed after gunman opens fire at LGBTQ nightclub in Colorado Springs

Quote:
A gunman opened fire at a Colorado Springs LGBTQ nightclub late on Saturday, killing at least 5 people and injuring 18, police said.

The suspected shooter was injured in the incident at Club Q, apprehended and hospitalized, Colorado Springs Police Department spokeswoman Sgt. Pamela Castro said at an early morning briefing Sunday. Police released no further information about the attacker.

"We have numerous people transported to multiple local hospitals via ambulance and police cruisers. The hospitals are helping us to notify family who have been injured," Castro said.

Castro said she expected the number of casualties to change as the investigation unfolded.

The FBI was assisting on the scene, she said.

“We thank the quick reactions of heroic customers that subdued the gunman and ended this hate attack,” the nightclub, Club Q, posted on its Facebook page.

While the motive of the attack was not immediately known it comes amid what President Joe Biden earlier this year called "rising hate and violence" against LGBTQ people. So far this year, at least 32 transgender people have been shot or killed, according to the Human Rights Campaign, though that count does not appear to include the Colorado Springs victims.

NBC Live Updates
Quote:
Police on Sunday named the suspected gunman in the Club Q nightclub shooting as Anderson Lee Aldrich, 22.

Two people subdued the gunman who opened fire at Club Q, a Colorado Springs LGBTQ nightclub late on Saturday, saving lives, officials say.

“While the suspect was inside of the club, at least two heroic people inside the club confronted and fought with the suspect and were able to stop the suspect from continuing to kill and harm others,” said Colorado State Deputy Chief Adrian Vasquez at a news conference Sunday morning. “We owe them a great debt of thanks.”

New York Times Live Updates
Quote:
The city’s police chief, Adrian Vasquez, said in a news conference that the gunman had used a long rifle. Two guns were recovered at the club, the chief said.

Early reports indicate that the suspect entered the nightclub wearing body armor and began firing with an AR-15 style assault rifle, according to two law enforcement officials briefed on the shooting.

Someone with the same name and age as the suspect was arrested by sheriff’s deputies last year after a bomb threat in a residential area just outside Colorado Springs. The man’s mother told officials that he was threatening to hurt her with a homemade bomb, weapons and ammunition, the sheriff’s office said at the time. The man initially refused to surrender but eventually agreed to comply with the authorities. No bombs were found.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Last edited by ASPartOfMe on 20 Nov 2022, 11:19 am, edited 2 times in total.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2022, 10:45 am

And I'm sure as always that the GOP gave zero f***s. They don't even care when their own children are getting shot up in schools around this country as long as they can keep their precious semi-automatic rifles. :roll:

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2022, 1:48 pm

^

Margaret Sanger advanced the slaughter of children, especially minorities, long before we had AR-15s. Why aren't you railing against the Eugenics still taking place in this country? Is it because it happens one at a time? As long as babies are dying right and left while still in the womb, I'm just not feeling like somebody who wants gun restrictions is operating in the best interest of the public.

This is a dangerous world for everyone. I am for prosecuting merchants and parents who allow guns to wind up in the hands of known mental health patients and kids.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2022, 5:08 pm

Quote:
The owners of Club Q say the suspected gunman is a stranger to them.
The gunman who opened fire at Club Q on Saturday night, killing at least five people, pulled up outside the Colorado Springs nightclub heavily armed and wearing a military-style flak jacket, according to the club’s owners, who have reviewed surveillance video of the episode.

The club owners, Nick Grzecka and Matthew Haynes, said on Sunday that they did not know the man who has been identified by police as the gunman, Anderson Lee Aldrich.

Mr. Haynes said the gunman had entered the nightclub with “tremendous firepower” — a rifle and what appeared to be six magazines of ammunition — and began shooting.

Police officers arrived and took the suspected gunman into custody within six minutes of receiving an emergency call about the shooting. Mr. Grzecka and Mr. Haynes got there a few minutes later. “It was chaos,” Mr. Haynes said.

He said Club Q had been “a safe place for the L.G.B.T.Q.+ community and their allies for 21 years.”

After the 2016 mass shooting at Pulse, a crowded gay nightclub in Orlando, Fla., where 49 people were killed, Mr. Haynes said he and Mr. Grzecka were “vigilant” about security at their club.

“We’ve worked with the Colorado Springs Police Department and the F.B.I. in response to various threats over the years,” he said. “But there had been no known recent threats toward Club Q.”

Anderson Lee Aldrich, Whose Grandfather Ran for Office on a Platform Against ‘the Swamp’ & Whose Mother Once Tried to Find a Private Boxing Coach for Him, ‘Immediately Began Shooting People Inside,’ Police Say
Quote:
Heavy has confirmed that Aldrich is the grandson of outgoing Republican State Assemblymember Randy Voepel, the former mayor of Santee, California. Voepel represents the 71st district in the San Diego area. There were calls to expel Voepel from the state Assembly after he made comments comparing the January 6 attacks to the Revolutionary War. Aldrich’s mother, Laura Voepel, has written posts praising Randy Voepel on Facebook and confirming he is her father.

“This is Lexington and Concord. First shots fired against tyranny,” Randy Voepel, who was defeated in a Republican primary in August 2022, said in a San Diego Union-Tribune article three days after January 6. “Tyranny will follow in the aftermath of the Biden swear-in on January 20th.” According to the San Diego Union-Tribune, Voepel “later tweeted that he condemned violence and lawlessness.” Voepel and his office did not immediately respond to requests for comments from Heavy.

Authorities said that Anderson Aldrich is a 22-year-old male. Authorities have not yet released a photo of Aldrich; the photos Heavy has found are a few years old, so he looks younger in them than he likely looks today. Some people are falsely sharing a picture of Raleigh, North Carolina, Christmas parade suspect Landon Glass on Twitter and saying it is Aldrich. Glass has nothing to do with the Club Q shooting.

Online records show Aldrich living at an apartment complex address in Colorado Springs. Online records indicate he shares that address with his mother, Laura Voepel, 44, who works as a support engineer and previously lived in California.

Laura has praised her father, outgoing state Rep. Randy Voepel, in Facebook posts, writing, “Keep up the work Dad~~ You work hard to improve our lives and a lot of us take notice.”

On Aldrich’s birthday, Laura Voepel wrote on Facebook, “My boys 15 birthday! He got head to toe (6’3″) ghillie military suit ànd he is surfing cloud 9.” She tagged her mother in the post, who is Randy’s ex-wife.

Heavy was not able to find any social media profiles for Aldrich. But Facebook posts made by his mother reveal he had been dealing with mental health issues. She posted often about her son in a Facebook group for women involved in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Colorado Springs area. In one post in July 2021, she asked for help finding a criminal defense attorney, “Hello Sisters. Does anyone know of a fantastic defense attorney? I ask this with a heavy heart but my family really needs some help at this time. We have cash to retain good counsel. Thank you.”

In February 2022, she wrote, “Hello Sisters. Can anyone please recommend a great trauma/ptsd therapist?” and indicated it was for a 21 year old, which Aldrich then was. She asked in May 2022, “Can anybody refer my son to a private boxing coach? He’s 6’6” tall and hits like a freight train. Cannot find a good gym or anyone serious. He has made huge life changes and needs this!”

Randy Voepel was defeated after redistricting forced two Republicans to run against each other. Heavy has reached out to numerous members of Voepel’s office to seek comment from him, including his chief of staff.

“Randy Voepel was elected to represent California’s 71st Assembly District in 2016. Before joining the Assembly, Randy served on the Santee City Council between 1996 and 2000, and then served as Mayor between 2000-2016,” his bio reads. “Randy is a Vietnam veteran, serving two tours in the conflict with the US Navy. After leaving the service, he worked nearly forty years in the insurance industry. Randy and his wife Susan live in Santee, where they raised their two children

Leslie Bowman told the New York Times that the 2021 standoff with Anderson occurred at her home because she was renting a spare room to his mother, also identified by the Times as Laura Voepel.

“His mom had called me and said, ‘Don’t come home right now, there are some people looking for Andy,’” Bowman told the newspaper, which reported that “Andy” is Aldrich’s nickname.

Voepel moved out two days later, and Bowman never heard from her again but she told The Times that police visited about a month ago seeking to check Voepel’s welfare.

She told the Times that Aldrich was living in a house with his grandparents but would visit his mother to watch movies with her. (This appears to be a reference to Voepel’s mother and her new husband, not to Randy Voepel.)

Bowman told the Times Aldrich had an “aggressive side,” and once slammed a door in her face when his mother complained about repairs.

“Why is he not in jail, after that happening?” Bowman told The Times. “After that initial day, police never reached out to me for additional information. I’m a Second Amendment supporter, don’t get me wrong. But for him to be out there, and have access to weapons after that incident, I don’t understand it.”

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

20 Nov 2022, 8:34 pm

Support of the 2nd Amendment and bigotry go hand in hand.

Unimpeded access to guns and being allowed to say whatever you want online with total impunity? This is the "perfect storm" the MAGA crowd hoped would happen.

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2022, 12:26 am

Quote:
Mass Shooting At Colorado LBGTQ Nightclub

Looks like they added the letters "R", "I", and "P" to the ones they've already got.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

21 Nov 2022, 3:37 pm

CNN Live Updates

Quote:
Suspected shooter faces murder and hate crime charges, court records show
Online court records show that the suspected Club Q shooter is facing multiple murder and hate crime charges.

Anderson Aldrich is facing five counts of first degree murder and five counts of a bias-motivated crime causing bodily injury, according to the online docket in El Paso County Courts.

Aldrich remains hospitalized following injuries sustained during the incident, and charges have not been formally filed, Colorado Springs Police Chief told CNN on Monday.

Records indicate Colorado Springs shooting suspect purchased both guns himself, law enforcement sources says
Records indicate that Anderson Lee Aldrich, the Colorado Springs mass shooting suspect, purchased both weapons brought to the attack — an AR-style rifle and a handgun, two law enforcement sources tell CNN.

CNN has not confirmed when those purchases were made.

The sources say Aldrich's 2021 arrest over a bomb threat would not have shown up in background checks because the case was never adjudicated, the charges were dropped, and the records were sealed. It is not clear what led to the sealing of the records.

The suspect doesn’t appear to have a large social media history that would readily help pinpoint a possible motive, according to the law enforcement sources.

Colorado Springs police chief says suspect is not speaking to investigators
Colorado Springs Police Chief Adrian Vasquez said on CNN Monday that the suspect in the shooting is still hospitalized and is "determined not to speak to investigators."

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 5:16 pm

What is collateral relief? Colorado Springs suspect had criminal record wiped before shooting

Quote:
The suspect in this weekend’s shooting rampage in Colorado Springs was known to law enforcement long before authorities say he walked into Club Q, an LGBTQ nightclub, and opened fire, killing five people and injuring 17 others. 

Back in 2021, sheriff's deputies in SWAT gear responded to his home for a bomb threat after he allegedly threatened his mother with a homemade bomb, forcing neighbors in surrounding homes to evacuate while the bomb squad and crisis negotiators talked him into surrendering. 

Critics say the concerning behavior is exactly the type of indicator that police or family could use to request an "emergency risk" order to strip firearm access and prevent gun violence. 

But if members of the public inquire about the incident, the police, court and prosecutors all are required to say there is no record of it, almost as though it never happened. 

The situation put a spotlight on a national trend in criminal justice reform known as “collateral relief.” In short: giving those accused of a crime a chance to move on in an arrest that never resulted in a conviction, as was the case in El Paso County in 2021 with Anderson Lee Aldrich, the suspect in the mass shooting in Colorado late Saturday.

The law, and others like it in Colorado, passed in 2019 and was sponsored by State Sen. Pete Lee, D-Colorado Springs, the site of the massacre.

He says the vanishing police report is not a flaw, but the system working as intended.

“We overcharge, over-incarcerate and over-criminalize everything in our criminal justice system,” Lee said Tuesday. “There are lots of people walking around that have records from their past as an impediment to moving on, getting loans, housing jobs or housing.”

Lee said questions about the system should be directed to the district attorney who decided against prosecuting Aldrich last year—which could have created a criminal record. That record, in turn could have prevented the shooter from legally purchasing firearms.

Jeff Roberts, head of Colorado’s Freedom of Information Coalition, said his group has opposed tighter laws to seal criminal records that can have unintended consequences.

“We’re seeing now that there are instances where it’s very important for the public to know about the background of someone who is accused of a crime,” Roberts said. “In this case, there’s going to be a lot of scrutiny on the non-use of a red flag law.”

Colorado passed a red flag law in 2019 that allows law enforcement or any individual to petition a court to temporarily strip firearms from someone deemed to be a threat to themselves or others.

A consortium of news outlets, including USA TODAY, has filed a petition in court to unseal the records from the 2021 incident involving Aldrich. An attorney for the group argued, “as a result of (Aldrich’s) recent acts, the public interest in disclosure of his prior criminal justice records now greatly outweighs his interest in privacy.”

Colorado’s District Attorneys’ Council has raised concerns about the records sealing laws, but has mainly focused on ensuring the records are still available to law enforcement.

So far, they’ve been successful in those efforts, said Timothy Lane, the group’s legislative liaison and policy analyst.

“There’s a difference between sealing and expunging,” Lane said. “All of these records still exist and can be shared with law enforcement agencies if there’s a proper purpose.”

That also leads to an uncomfortable position for some in law enforcement who are unable to respond in public about misinformation that takes hold, Lane said.

A study by the National Conference of State Legislatures showed that nearly two-thirds of U.S. states have adopted some sort of record-clearing process.

They identified three distinct routes: with a petition, automatically or automated with a set of software.

FrankStein
Blue Jay
Blue Jay

22 Nov 2022, 5:28 pm

The boy has a grandfather who held political office in California including mayor of Santee, CA. He considered Jan. 6th like a new revolution and is a MAGA radical.
https://www.comicsands.com/colorado-spr ... 61386.html

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 6:23 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
^

Margaret Sanger advanced the slaughter of children, especially minorities, long before we had AR-15s. Why aren't you railing against the Eugenics still taking place in this country? Is it because it happens one at a time? As long as babies are dying right and left while still in the womb, I'm just not feeling like somebody who wants gun restrictions is operating in the best interest of the public.

This is a dangerous world for everyone. I am for prosecuting merchants and parents who allow guns to wind up in the hands of known mental health patients and kids.

What does Margaret Sanger have to do with anything today? And who is promoting eugenics today, and how?
By the way, it was conservative Preston Bush who had wanted to pay black Americans to be sterilized, so eugenics is hardly a phenomenon that had just been promoted by individuals on the left.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 6:32 pm

Anyone know the gunman's motive?

Persephone29
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 7:36 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
^

What does Margaret Sanger have to do with anything today? And who is promoting eugenics today, and how?
By the way, it was conservative Preston Bush who had wanted to pay black Americans to be sterilized, so eugenics is hardly a phenomenon that had just been promoted by individuals on the left.

Abortion primarily targets minorities, Planned Parenthoods are strategically located where there is minority heartache.
Our children have been targets for murder long before the AR-15. My comment was made towards the comment above mine, to the member who said that the USA cared more for their guns than their children. Children have been dying in the US at a staggering rate for years, even without abortions. They are killed by parents, foster parents, random lunatics, and of course doctors, etc. It's just that liberals don't sit up and speak out until it happens quicker. One at a time is still an atrocity.

Neurocognitive exam in May 2019, diagnosed with ASD, Asperger's type in June 2019.

Jakki
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 8:28 pm

This event just sickened me ….. the mental health of the person in question seems to be in question !
Which seems that he had no business being involved with firearms . His own friend stated on the news in Colorado that privately, he had made some homophobic remarks . Have to wonder what kind of environment he grew up in ?
And wonder what ever became of his sense of right and wrong . This is truly the definition of deviant behaviour to me. That was a very Sad day for that community in Boulder , Colorado .. :(

where ever you go ,there you are

Kraichgauer
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 8:39 pm

Persephone29 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
^

Abortion primarily targets minorities, Planned Parenthoods are strategically located where there is minority heartache.
Our children have been targets for murder long before the AR-15. My comment was made towards the comment above mine, to the member who said that the USA cared more for their guns than their children. Children have been dying in the US at a staggering rate for years, even without abortions. They are killed by parents, foster parents, random lunatics, and of course doctors, etc. It's just that liberals don't sit up and speak out until it happens quicker. One at a time is still an atrocity.

Believe it or not, I tend to lean pro-life. But if you're going to be pro-life, you have to go all the way and support government programs that house, clothe, and feed poor people, including children. Being truly pro-life means supporting universal health care, so no one has to choose between going bankrupt over medical bills or death. It also means supporting a living wage so people can easily support children.
I'm sorry, but I think the notion of abortion as a means of eugenics is a baseless fantasy. If you want to stop "minority heartache" that allegedly leads to abortion, then among other things, take a stand against voter disenfranchisement, which the right has been behind for generations, and yet denies ever happens. After the 2020 election, Trump and many of his fanatical base had wanted to disregard the vote in predominantly black cities like Detroit on the false charge of voter fraud.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 9:44 pm

Kraichgauer wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
Kraichgauer wrote:
Persephone29 wrote:
^

Believe it or not, I tend to lean pro-life. But if you're going to be pro-life, you have to go all the way and support government programs that house, clothe, and feed poor people, including children. Being truly pro-life means supporting universal health care, so no one has to choose between going bankrupt over medical bills or death. It also means supporting a living wage so people can easily support children.
I'm sorry, but I think the notion of abortion as a means of eugenics is a baseless fantasy. If you want to stop "minority heartache" that allegedly leads to abortion, then among other things, take a stand against voter disenfranchisement, which the right has been behind for generations, and yet denies ever happens. After the 2020 election, Trump and many of his fanatical base had wanted to disregard the vote in predominantly black cities like Detroit on the false charge of voter fraud.

All the programs in the world don't remove the dangers of pregnancy health threatening and deadly complications can arise, sometimes abortion is the safest course of action. Therefore, it is a medically necessary procedure.

Aside from that people who don't want to be pregnant are likely to terminate at the first signs of pregnancy long before there is even a fetus, so I don't see why that should be of concern.

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 10:56 pm

It's sad and it sucks and all that, but tbh, even as a gay man.. news of this just didn't even really hit never mind hit hard.

The Pulse nightclub massacre made for some really bad vibes. Shock anger sadness etc, thoughts about victims, thoughts about how gay guys are just doing their thing in a private club space away from prying eyes of outsiders, judgemental people, homophobes etc and then some deranged lunatic comes in and blows a bunch of people away. Hit pretty hard because back then I was attending gay warehouse parties and there was a real sense of "Whoa, this could happen at any party/club.."

But this time? I've felt Almost Nothing hearing the news. It's just another headline about more people getting blown away in the USA. Daily occurrence, really.. and that's the sad part -> that it happens so frequently that we become desensitized to it and don't feel much of anything at the news that 5 people just got wasted by a gunman in a gay bar.

Also, I think it was a bit extra annoying that this had to go down on/near the Trans Day of Remembrance. On that note, it's batshit crazy that a "Trans Day of Remembrance," even has to exist in the first place thanks to trans people being murdered at extremely high rates. Wtf.

Here's a music video that sums things up quite nicely: