Using Asperger's Syndrome to describe your diagnosis?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

mb3258a
Butterfly
Butterfly

20 Nov 2022, 6:10 pm

I am a 26 year old woman diagnosed with autism level 1 using the DSM-5. I was not diagnosed until I was an adult, and this was after Asperger's was combined with other autistic-related disorders to form the diagnosis of Autism Spectrum Disorders. I know "Asperger's" in and of itself is typically associated with negative feelings about Asperger himself and other non-helpful/unkind comparisons between those with Asperger's and Autism diagnoses. I totally understand that. But as a woman, often if someone learns I am autistic, they don't believe me. I have learned that they're much more receptive if I describe it as Asperger's. This of course stems from ignorance about what Autism is, but it's easier to say Asperger's than to hold a lecture explaining ASD to them. Thoughts? Similarities?

Senexx
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

22 Nov 2022, 6:49 am

Not a woman, but I think you are correct.
I think there should be more levels, perhaps a lower level for aspies.

amykitten
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

22 Nov 2022, 7:20 am

A bit different for me as I was diagnosed with aspergers when it was still around as an adult. But I do not agree with levels as peoples needs change due to what is going on so levels go up and down. My kids are prove of this. You could always say high functioning autism instead of aspergers if you wanted, but that has its own issues attacted to it apparently. Imo you could sugar coat it in any way or form and you'd still upset someone. Aspergers wasn't fully combined and those who just met the Aspergers criteria don't now get diagnosed at least not in the UK. Many posts about how mothers can't get a diagnosis in my Facebook groups. I think its common the high you are on spectrum people don't believe you as you appear normal regardless of gender. So my advice is do what you think is right. Personally I only tell people if they ask or I feel the need to tell someone.

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 12:13 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

Here you will not be hassled for using the terms “Aspergers” and “Aspie”. These terms are still used quite often.

For discussion of this and related topics see this thread.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Clararawr
Butterfly
Butterfly

11 Feb 2023, 11:51 am

I always say I have Autism, what was Aspergers but is now all classes as ASD.

I am usually only telling people because they need to understand and that gives them all the relevant information

Aero_T
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

16 Feb 2023, 9:51 am

People can also misunderstand Aspergers.

If people need to know for some reason that I am autistic, I say that I am high functioning autistic. Then explain what they need to know (which is usually please communicate with me in plain language and dont assume I will understand anything you dont state plainly).