Anti-hijab revolution: Iran - part 2

Page 2 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

naturalplastic
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 3:56 pm

Thats what an author/historian I saw on TV said some years ago. That veil laws predated Islam by centuries in the middle east. Respectable ladies wore veils. Bad girls did not (I guess slaves, prostitutes). So they had to enforce the law on the low class women to NOT wear veils, because it was the bad girls who would put on airs by wearing the veil (to steal status so to speak). They didnt have to force the high-status ladies to wear veils.

It makes sense that when Mohammed started his still small cult- that he would build on that and add an 'us against them' dimension to it. Women who are believers wear veils, and those who are not believers do not, and can then be used/raped or whatever.

But that was 13 centuries ago. So that meaning has faded from memory even in the middle east by now.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

03 Dec 2022, 2:12 pm

The source where I found it is not particularily reliable - but if true, it would look rather ominous...
The article: https://www.iranintl.com/en/202212034392

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2022, 7:14 pm

Iran to disband morality police amid ongoing protests, says attorney general

Quote:
Iran's morality police, which is tasked with enforcing the country's Islamic dress code, is being disbanded, the country's attorney general says.

Mohammad Jafar Montazeri's comments, yet to be confirmed by other agencies, were made at an event on Sunday.

Mr Montazeri was at a religious conference when he was asked if the morality police was being disbanded.

"The morality police had nothing to do with the judiciary and have been shut down from where they were set up," he said.

Control of the force lies with the interior ministry and not with the judiciary.

On Saturday, Mr Montazeri also told the Iranian parliament the law that requires women to wear hijabs would be looked at.

Even if the morality police is shut down this does not mean the decades-old law will be changed.

f confirmed, the scrapping of the morality police would be a concession but there are no guarantees it would be enough to halt the protests, which have seen demonstrators burn their head coverings.

"Just because the government has decided to dismantle morality police it doesn't mean the protests are ending," one Iranian woman told the BBC World Service's Newshour programme.

"Even the government saying the hijab is a personal choice is not enough. People know Iran has no future with this government in power. We will see more people from different factions of Iranian society, moderate and traditional, coming out in support of women to get more of their rights back."

Another woman said: "We, the protesters, don't care about no hijab no more. We've been going out without it for the past 70 days.

"A revolution is what we have. Hijab was the start of it and we don't want anything, anything less, but death for the dictator and a regime change."

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

Where_am_I
Veteran
Veteran

05 Dec 2022, 1:40 pm

magz wrote:
I believe it's Qur’an 24:31.

I find making hijab mandatory something horrible and unacceptable - yet banning it is not in line with what I find "free world values" - particularily, freedom of religion.

In the "free world", it should be only up to the individual involved.

This.

It should be a choice.

My mother doesn't wear a hijab, but she does wear a headscarf, and she doesn't know the true meaning behind hijab. She'd feel naked without it. It's part of her religious beliefs. If somebody tried to force her to stop wearing hers, I'd slap them.

And it's not only lack of hijab that most of the Muslim men see as whorish; if you're in anything but the traditional gear, you're a slut in their eyes.