Page 1 of 2 [ 20 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 11:51 am

I'm going to move house in a couple of years and I want to find some hobby groups that traditionally attract autists. I can't seem to make friends with NTs so I want to see if I can find autistic friends. So I want to look for such groups before I move and plan a social life. There are very few groups in my village at all.

What hobbies tend to attract autists? I'm not into science, maths, computers or chess btw.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 11:54 am

Thomas the Tank Engine.
Lego.

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 11:54 am

I might like Lego, it's quite soothing.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 12:22 pm

There are AFOL clubs (Adult Fans of Lego). There is a "Lego Store" (think Apple Store, but for Lego) near me, and there is a AFOL group that meets there. We all (me, my wife and kids) went to a Lego Convention in our area and it was fun.

AprilR
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 12:29 pm

I am into anime and chinese animation, a lot of autistics seem to be into art also!

klanka
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 1:23 pm

no science maths computers or chess................................. thats a difficult one

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 1:51 pm

Maybe you'd enjoy volunteering at a museum? You might enjoy becoming an expert on whatever the museum was about.

Fenn
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 2:08 pm

Trains.
Movies.

For Lego Clubs:
Google for "afol" "club" and the name of a geographic area:

pennlug.com - join pennlug
bricksmcgee.com - lego user groups lugs in the uk

Digression: Lego Trains are also popular

quora.com - What scale are Lego locomotive tracks in
Wikipedia - O scale
Wikipedia - G scale
brickarchitect.com - LEGO figures in Scale models
bartneck.de - 2019/04/21 - Lego Brick Dimensions and Measurements
tomalphin.com - 2013/11 - Lego Challenge #19 - Calculating Minifig Scale

Worthless
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 2:44 pm

I miss lego. My mom pressured me into giving it up in my mid-late teens. I would then sneek into the attic when I was home alone sometimes and bring some down to play with or play with it in the attic.

Pretty much anything train related.

Scale models.

Rocketry.

Aviation.

Birds.

MeltingCORE
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

22 Nov 2022, 4:23 pm

I second art and anime/manga! I'm really into those things and yes - they do tend to attract autistic people. I'm also into theme parks/rollercoasters and same with this hobby. It might be harder to get into though if you don't have a home park and desire visiting the parks in person. (Planet Coaster is a super fun game though! And there's lot's of great YouTube channels and websites to check out.)

lostonearth35
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 4:37 pm

I don't seem to have most interests that that people on the spectrum are stereotypically supposed to like. I can't play chess, I could care less about trains, and I hate math. I probably could take an old radio apart but I surely won't be able to put it back together. I like simulation video games, Golden Age animation, classic children's books, cats, guinea pigs, drawing cartoons, making crafts and collecting dolls and plushies.

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 7:50 pm

Amateur radio, bicycling, camping, hiking, model railroading, and role-playing games (AD&D, GURPS, Traveller, et cetera) have been big in my life.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

Texasmoneyman300
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 10:32 pm

KitLily wrote:
I'm going to move house in a couple of years and I want to find some hobby groups that traditionally attract autists. I can't seem to make friends with NTs so I want to see if I can find autistic friends. So I want to look for such groups before I move and plan a social life. There are very few groups in my village at all.

What hobbies tend to attract autists? I'm not into science, maths, computers or chess btw.

Maybe camping.It can be quite relaxing.I am into camping but granted I dont know how much people like us are traditionally into it.But it can be quite fun.They have glamping now which may be more to your liking.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 11:38 pm

Painting
Drawing
Wood painting
Loom knitting
Weaving
Music
Computers
The Internet
The Kinks
The Olympics both winter and summer
Autistic Spectrum Disorders

KitLily
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2022, 3:25 am

What a lovely list, thanks.

It's quite funny that people mention anime, drawing and cats. My daughter, also autistic, is OBSESSED with anime, drawing and cats. It is all she talks about :lol:

Volunteering at a museum sounds great.

Movies! Yes! I've always been a movie geek, I've just never met anyone else who is.

I'd really love to do live role playing but it seems very cliquey and expensive these days. Maybe I could find some other role players and make our own game. I've done lots of role playing on the internet on Facebook etc. but that's not local.

I love the Olympics and many big sporting events like Wimbledon, Football World and European Cups, MotoGP, Formula 1 etc. I'm not sure how I could make those into local interests though.

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

23 Nov 2022, 7:04 am

things I can do with others,\: hiking, rock hunting, crafts, parallel play things where everybody is doing the same thing but not necessarily interacting personally or using more than information sharing conversations. topic specific discussions such as reading groups, study groups, seminars and lessons as long as they don't include things like interactive "team building" exercises where one is called on to spontaneously perform or speak.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson