SCOTUS allows release of Trump tax records to House

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 3:09 pm

The decision means the Democratic-led Ways and Means Committee can try to obtain documents before the GOP takes control of the House.

Quote:
The Supreme Court on Tuesday rejected former President Donald Trump's last-ditch plea to block the release of his tax records to House Democrats, paving the way for their possible disclosure to the lawmakers.

The decision by the court in a brief order noting no dissenting votes means the committee can try to access the documents before Republicans take over the House in January. The committee, however, has not said how quickly it expects to get the documents. Upon taking control, Republicans are expected to withdraw the request.

Earlier this month, Chief Justice John Roberts temporarily blocked the Ways and Means panel from accessing Trump’s tax records while the court decided how to act on Trump’s request.

Trump, who, unlike other recent presidents, refused to make his tax returns public amid scrutiny of his business affairs, turned to the justices after an appeals court in Washington refused to intervene. The court has recently rejected similar requests from Trump.

Tax returns are confidential under federal law, but there are some exceptions, one of which allows the chairman of the committee to request them.

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 3:42 pm

:ketchup chips:

Fnord
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 7:54 pm

Oh, of course . . . now that we have a GOP-controlled House, the GOP-controlled SCOTUS would release Orangeman's tax records.

No love for Hamas, Hezbollah, Iranian Leadership, Islamic Jihad, other Islamic terrorist groups, OR their supporters and sympathizers.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 8:22 pm

My card reading for Trump.

His present situation: 10 of Swords. A totally humilating and crushing defeat of some kind.

Past cards: Nine of Swords which means stress and anxiety plus The Hanged Man which when next to the 10 of Swords could mean suicide (or merely political suicide?)

Future cards: Four of Swords which is about resting and retreating and 10 of Coins which is about money and property.

Top card is that 3 of Swords which is heartache and disappointment (my recurring card for Trump).

Bottom card is Justice.

... this does not look good for him. Pass the ketchup chips? :D

goldfish21
Veteran
Veteran

22 Nov 2022, 9:28 pm

:heart: :heart: :heart:

:ketchup chips:

:D :D :D