Autistic Falun Gong Practitioner Sentenced in Hong Kong

Page 1 of 1 [ 1 post ] 

ASPartOfMe
Veteran
Veteran

25 Nov 2022, 10:01 am

Bitter Winter

Quote:
Falun Gong is not (or not yet) banned in Hong Kong but there are subtle ways of harassing it. On November 15, 2022, Chen Guangchi, a judge designated by Hong Kong’s National Security Law, sentenced 23-year-old Chen Taisen to one year in prison.

The case of Chen Taisen, an autistic deliveryman, has attracted the attention of netizens and local media. A Falun Gong practitioner, Chen posted from August 19 to December 13, 2021, messages on Telegram and on the “Lian Deng Discussion Forum” reports on organ harvesting of prisoners of conscience and invitations to participate in unauthorized gatherings of his spiritual movement, including on Christmas Eve. The authorities also claimed that he incited to “revolution” and attacking police officers, and jailed him in December.

Chen pleaded guilty to the illegal gatherings charge, but denied having advocated for violence. He also said he just reported news about organ harvesting from other sources. His lawyer argued that, rather than promoting a revolution, Chen was trying to attract attention on himself by posting on social media messages likely to be commented, which often happens with autistic persons. The lawyer also raised procedural objections against how the prosecution has been conducted.

Nonetheless. Chen, who has been in jail since December 2021, has been sentenced to one year, a message to Hongkongers promoting Falun Gong or denouncing atrocities against its practitioners in China on social media

“My autism is not a superpower. It also isn’t some kind of god-forsaken, endless fountain of suffering inflicted on my family. It’s just part of who I am as a person”. - Sara Luterman