Page 3 of 4 [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 10:00 am

magz wrote:
Another weird f-book trend?

I guess so, thankfully it doesn't appear to be getting traction, but I'm not actively looking.

Another trend that I have concern for is 'oompa loompa face' :wink:

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 12:11 am

r00tb33r wrote:
Quote:
Anyone Heard Of The Term Womanface ?

I have not. No.

Neither had I until now. Do those "women" in Monty Python count?

Is this an instance of Auditory Yellowface? Non-oriental voice-dub actors using over-the-top oriental accents.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIeBOIZigJ0

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 3:28 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
r00tb33r wrote:
Quote:
Anyone Heard Of The Term Womanface ?

I have not. No.

Neither had I until now. Do those "women" in Monty Python count?

Is this an instance of Auditory Yellowface? Non-oriental voice-dub actors using over-the-top oriental accents.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIeBOIZigJ0

I think the majority of womanface is aimed at older comedy shows, but as has been said it's probably a subterfuge for transphobia.

You have just introduced me to another new word when I looked up Aural stereotyping , it is called “yellow voice” .

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 3:37 am

oh so now I am supposed to be offended about kids in the hall and all their skits of dressing up like women. Idk I find it pretty hilarious personally.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Dec 2022, 3:40 am

Sweetleaf wrote:
oh so now I am supposed to be offended about kids in the hall and all their skits of dressing up like women. Idk I find it pretty hilarious personally.

Oh gawd, 30 years ago I wore fake moustache when playing a role of Uncle in a kintergarten play!
All moustache-wearing uncles must have been offended!

<not moderating PPR stuff concerning East Europe>

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 3:54 am

magz wrote:
Sweetleaf wrote:

Oh gawd, 30 years ago I wore fake moustache when playing a role of Uncle in a kintergarten play!
All moustache-wearing uncles must have been offended!

Oh no not a fake mustache, how can anyone recover from such a thing. Nah that is ridiculous but sorry if your family reacted that way. If they can't find the comedy in a fake mustache idk what is wrong with them.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Dec 2022, 4:00 am

I was making fun of the whole idea - of course no one even thought of being offended :D

Generally, even the concept of Blackface and why it was offensive was something foreign to me, something I had to learn in my adulthood when researching American culture.

Sweetleaf
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 5:46 am

magz wrote:
I was making fun of the whole idea - of course no one even thought of being offended :D

Generally, even the concept of Blackface and why it was offensive was something foreign to me, something I had to learn in my adulthood when researching American culture.

I for sure think black-face is wrong, like that was a specific thing where they would cast white characters as exaggerated black people or in cartoons they would idk basically draw them like they are freaks. Looking back I remember seeing that kind of thing on cartoons that where still on t.v in the 90's.

I just dont think comedy stuff with men playing women is comparable to that in most cases. Then again I would have hated to see a dane cook version of it, cause that guy always seemed to just make kind of mean jokes that where not in good humour(but yeah dont know if he is even a relevant comedian these days). But then take kids in the hall like their office lady skit it's funny and it is all men dressed as women for the most part. Maybe both are equally bad idk, I just for sure would not laugh at black-face, but I can for sure laugh about men dressing up as or playing women in a skit.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Dec 2022, 6:04 am

Why I had to learn it:
Here, blackface was used simply for lack of Black actors, regardless of the context (being it Otello, one of kings from all around the world hailing Baby Jesus or a foreign PhD student in a low-budget TV series). The only reason for blackface was technical and the most typical Black character was "someone from an exotic land".
Now that Black actors are available in Poland, casting one as the foreign PhD student would be definitely preferred (foreign kings hailing baby Jesus are getting out of fashion anyway).
I believe you see how it differs from American use of blackface.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 6:14 am

Doberdoofus wrote:
I think the majority of womanface is aimed at older comedy shows, but as has been said it's probably a subterfuge for transphobia..

How do you get there? It's an attempt to draw attention to the hypocrisy of liberals revering drags show where men perform exaggerated caricatures of women for comedic effect to their nuclear response to blackface, where white actors performed exaggerated caricatures of blacks for the same reason; I'm not sure where transphobia (whatever that is) is supposed to fit in.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Dec 2022, 6:22 am

I think in case of "womanface", the commedic effect was largely due to the "something off" about a man dressed in exaggerated feminine fashion. This "something off" was often strongly accented (i.e. Freddy Mecury's moustache in I Want to Break Free video).

Casting the two tallest boys in the roles of Little Red Riding Hood and Squirrel in a high school play was certainly for this effect.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 6:39 am

magz wrote:
I think in case of "womanface", the commedic effect was largely due to the "something off" about a man dressed in exaggerated feminine fashion. This "something off" was often strongly accented (i.e. Freddy Mecury's moustache in I Want to Break Free video).

It's not just the fashion, quite a bit of the humor in a drag show is derived from exaggerating certain stereotypical female traits, namely a certain bitchy cattiness and a campy vanity. Again, this sort of humor is often frowned up by woke types in other circumstances, hence the "gotcha" aspect of the term.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Dec 2022, 6:50 am

Not in my cultural circle - at least I can't recall this in shows I'm aware of. Being it the Basso Cook in The Love for Three Oranges or the protagonists in Some Like it Hot, or the giant Little Red Riding Hood, or Mary in Life of Brian... I just can't recall an example of what you're talking about.
But, sure, if you recall an example, share.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 9:15 am

Dox47 wrote:
Doberdoofus wrote:
I think the majority of womanface is aimed at older comedy shows, but as has been said it's probably a subterfuge for transphobia..

How do you get there? It's an attempt to draw attention to the hypocrisy of liberals revering drags show where men perform exaggerated caricatures of women for comedic effect to their nuclear response to blackface, where white actors performed exaggerated caricatures of blacks for the same reason; I'm not sure where transphobia (whatever that is) is supposed to fit in.

I got there by reading this thread and online ( not much research to be honest ). I can't find the original article where it called out comedians dressing as women and labelling it sexist/misogynistic, but it was aimed at a British comedy called Little Britain. It was this article that was posted on Facebook with one commenter mentioning it as womanface. After googling womanface I found things like this ( the 3rd image is probably not the best example as I'm conflicted about that teacher discussed in another thread). Pointing out liberal hypocrisy is definitely feasible for some of it.

magz
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

02 Dec 2022, 10:07 am

I think both gender and racial cross-dressing can be or not be offensive depending on other factors.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

02 Dec 2022, 10:59 am

magz wrote:
I think both gender and racial cross-dressing can be or not be offensive depending on other factors.

The world is changing so fast my avatar will be considered offensive one day - dogface

Your avatar offends me - 'wobbly bridge face' :-P

And the least said about Dox's 'Archerface' the better :ninja:

Last edited by Doberdoofus on 02 Dec 2022, 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.