Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

27 Nov 2022, 5:54 pm

I posted an inquiry on speech problems before. After researching, I learned it can be related to generalized anxiety disorder. As someone who has to talk through the entire shift, its literally torment. My throat closes up, my tongue feels stifled. Its horrible. I wonder if I need speech therapy

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2022, 9:47 pm

I've had several speech therapists, partly for enunciation and partly for mutism.
Some speech therapists will refer you to Psychology and consider it a stress disorder.
The psychologists will refer you to OT or SLP and consider it neurological.

My last SLP got me speaking, then put her hand in my face for me to stop.
I never went back.

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Dec 2022, 6:19 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:
I've had several speech therapists, partly for enunciation and partly for mutism.
Some speech therapists will refer you to Psychology and consider it a stress disorder.

I never went back.

Seriously? The nerve of some people

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2022, 12:58 am

I fluff my words if I try to talk or read aloud at the same speed as others seem able to, but it could be down to a more generalised slowness in brain processing. I'm fine if I do it a bit slower than average. I can do "tongue twisters" quite well but only if I've practised them.

I had quite a bit of trouble learning to sing the chorus of this without messing up horribly, but once I'd mastered it (by starting off slow and working up to full speed as I improved) I found I could even sing it at twice the normal speed without any further learning:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oadxvVGYdQE

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2022, 1:09 am

My dad loved the Irish Rovers. :heart: ^

I remember doing tongue twisters in my Speech therapy classes in primary school. I had to wear big headphones and say the one about seashells on the sea shore. I forget the words lol.

I’m usually slow at speaking as well. if I’m on the phone people always ask if I’m still there, after a pause of just a second or two.

shortfatbalduglyman
Veteran
Veteran

04 Dec 2022, 3:55 am

I asked my doctor if I could get speech therapy

You might have to pay out of pocket for speech therapy and it might not be worth the time, energy and cash

Otherwise you might not have enough cash. Speech therapy is expensive and costs of gas and food skyrocketing lately

Speech therapy is not magical. You have to specify, which speech therapist

When I was 4, went to speech therapy at a public school

39 kind of old though

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

03 Jan 2023, 5:51 pm

IsabellaLinton wrote:

I never went back.

hey there. yeah my therapist said it could have to do with ptsd as well. the way i grew up, speaking assertively and with authority was not exactly welcome, or at least i thought that way. My mom was surprisingly open to my assertion as i learned years later

BreathlessJade
Velociraptor
Velociraptor

06 Feb 2023, 2:15 am

hey thanks for the insight. i have such a hard time getting on this forum via phone. i have to use my laptop thats covered by other stuff hehe.