Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

ssteradian
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

27 Nov 2022, 6:21 pm

A brief biography: Independent and determined. Overachiever. Overthinker. I don’t do small talk. A magnet to socially awkward situations. A bit aloof and has trouble opening up, but I become more social and caring around people that I trust. Very honest and value logic and rationality. Love of learning. I either feel like a robot, or an alien most of the time. I don't enjoy social gatherings, going out, drinking, or nightlife. I'd rather go for a walk in a swamp to look at birds, bugs, and butterflies.

The reason I'm here: I am unable to find any meaningful connections in real life at present and so I am turning inward for some serious reflection and online to try and understand my pitfalls and hopefully learn some new skills that I can use in the real world. But if I am not successful, at least find a way to feel like less of a failure at being a human being.

Currently I am considering the issue of "mental rigidity." This is a feature that it present when the asd person has unyielding opinions about a topic. I do hold down a job. A necessity in this life. I recently had a move, to a new location and I am trying to navigate this new place. Same job, new people and a new layout. There is a person there who had also been a colleague at the previous location and has observed me at both places. He basically said that I "don't fit in" no matter where I go and that "fitting in" with the rest of the crowd is highly important in this job. He recommended that I change aspects of my personality in order to be better received by my peers. Otherwise, I may soon start to have problems at the new place. I'm worried!

Researching online, I determined that one of my problems may be mental rigidity. I don't fit in because I don't seek the opinions of others. I don't seek the approval of others or look to obtain their viewpoints. The reason: because I already have one! The social dilemma here is one of "reciprocal social communication." Because I hold fast to my own opinions and live in my own inner world, I have great difficulty even wanting to exchange thoughts, experiences, and opinions with others. Their viewpoints seem invalid to me, or uninteresting, or irrelevant/unnecessary. I also have rigidity in having strict adherence to daily routines and become unwilling to change even minor things. Consequently, the people I work with tend to receive me very poorly.

The article I read suggests that the asd person would want to increase his flexibility and enlarge his world in order to be better accepted by his peers. Someone suggested that I just pretend that I didn't know something and ask advice, and that would be a good way to include someone else's input. I'm not much for pretending so it doesn't sound right to me. A suggestion from the article is to come up with questions during the course of a conversation on any topic, and decide to ask a least one time "and what do you think about this?" or "what do you like or dislike about xyz?" Another suggestion tries to steer the asd person away from getting stuck on one answer and instead committing to identifying at least two solutions to daily obstacles. This process may allow for the opportunity to ask for input from others, thereby promoting inclusivity amongst his peers.

Anyway, I will try out some of this advice this coming week and see how it goes. Hopefully it doesn't come out sounding completely fake, in other words, I can pull it off. And hopefully some people will start to feel comfortable with me instead of awkward and appalled.

Double Retired
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2022, 11:00 pm

Welcome to WP! I hope you like it here.

And I agree it is hard to waffle on your opinion when you know you are right.

jimmy m
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 1:46 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet.

I like your original introduction. It was direct and to the point.

Independent and determined. Overachiever. Overthinker. I don’t do small talk. A magnet to socially awkward situations. A bit aloof and has trouble opening up, but I become more social and caring around people that I trust. Very honest and value logic and rationality. Love of learning. I either feel like a robot, or an alien most of the time. I don't enjoy social gatherings, going out, drinking, or nightlife. I'd rather go for a walk in a swamp to look at birds, bugs, and butterflies.

It really sounds like you are in the right place. There are many different personality types in this world and you seem to fit Asperger's Syndrome or "Aspie" for short. So what can I tell you for advice. First - Be yourself. It may give you a lot of pain in this life but it is important to be you.

There is a good book that may provide you with a little bit of information. It is a book called "Whole Brain Living" by Jill Bolte Taylor. Humans are much more complex than any animal that has ever existed on this planet. We have several brains that work together. The left side of our brain is dominant because it stores our knowledge of words. But we also have a right side that is a supporting brain. Jill hasn't figured out the whole story but she is close. Our brains can flip sides if we encounter death when we are very young. Our right side of our brain (normally existing in REM and NREM sleep) can come online and take control and keep our body alive. Eventually our left side can come back but it switches places. It is a brain flip. In a way, we can grow and become very different than most people. We can become very, very, very smart children as we age.

CockneyRebel
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 1:50 pm

Willkommen :mrgreen:

AnonymousAnonymous
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 8:10 pm

Welcome to Wrong Planet! :D

ssteradian
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

01 Dec 2022, 11:37 am

Thank you for the replies.

It does give me great pain in my life to be "just me." However, I can't care about that. There is nothing to be done about it. I am feeling particularly vulnerable having this job change and dealing with all new people in my work. I am feeling quite a bit of change in my personal life as I never have before. I am finding it particularly exhausting to try and relate to neurotypicals. Completely depleting and I'm at a loss! I will look into the book reference; thanks.

Tim_Tex
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 4:52 pm

Welcome to WP!

Now proficient in ChatGPT!

autisticelders
Veteran
Veteran

03 Dec 2022, 6:53 am

welcome! you are not alone here, you will find many who relate to your experiences and who can provide insights and suggestions, input, support. Glad you are with us.

"Curiosity is one of the permanent and certain characteristics of a vigorous intellect.” Samuel Johnson

auntblabby
Veteran
Veteran

15 Dec 2022, 12:06 am

yay another one :alien: