Does being muscular have to be a requirement ?

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 

chris1989
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2022, 7:07 pm

I while I did think to myself ''Well maybe I am okay with the way my body is'' when I had all these thoughts about trying to look muscular and feeling quite bad I wasn't interested in visiting a gym, going for a jog or sticking to strict dietary routine (blended food, smoothies, full english breakfast every morning) in order to gain more muscle. I once at 16 or 17 went for a jog from my house, down to some woods and then back again and after that the soles of my feet were absolutely killing me, so I must have over-done it. I haven't done jogging like that ever since. I did do some occasional weight lifting and press-ups at home especially during the lockdowns but I still don't look that muscly.

I mean I'm a medium built or thin-built 6 foot tall person and my ribs are still visible when I look in the mirror, although I do appear to have a six-pack and don't look like I have much muscle on my arms but when I flex my arms I can feel the muscle in both arms seems to be hardened. I personally don't really want to look like some very muscular body-builder and I certainly don't really want to put on too much weight or get fat. If I was fat I'd be really worried about health complications and I probably would go to a gym or a weight-loss clinic in order to lose the weight.

I seem to also think that men also get fed this image by the media or some tv shows that you are supposed to look of all muscular in the same way that women fed images of how they should look because as I heard someone saying once ''We don't want ugly people adorning our screens''. That did make my blood boil a bit and was coming across quite smug because she was someone was a barbie-girl look-a-like saying how she had a successful career as a business woman in beauty on tv and radio.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 8:41 am

One study in 2012 said that majority of women at Newcastle university in England prefer men with a lean muscle and a bmi of 24.5. It also said in the article that many men overestimate the amount of muscle required to look attractive.

It stated that men with a bmi of 24.5 had the most attractive physique to women whereas as guys with a bmi of 25.9 had the most aesthetic physique granted if most of that weight is muscle.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 10:41 am

If people continue to look for these studies to arrive at a "truth," that "truth" will be elusive.

In other words, when it comes to individuals, these studies are total bunk.

You all know how I feel about the studies---they're bullcrap.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 10:49 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
If people continue to look for these studies to arrive at a "truth," that "truth" will be elusive.

In other words, when it comes to individuals, these studies are total bunk.

You all know how I feel about the studies---they're bullcrap.

Maybe having a BMI of 24.5 is to skinny for some guys I don't know?

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 11:00 am

There are some women I know who like "teddy bear" types. Many of these have a BMI of at least 30.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 11:05 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
There are some women I know who like "teddy bear" types. Many of these have a BMI of at least 30.

Having a BMI of at least 30 can't be good for your health though.....

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 11:08 am

Jamesy wrote:
One study in 2012 said that majority of women at Newcastle university in England prefer men with a lean muscle and a bmi of 24.5. It also said in the article that many men overestimate the amount of muscle required to look attractive.

Try not to date women from Newcastle University, if this is the case.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 11:10 am

Many women find bodybuilders with outsized muscles "grotesque."

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 11:13 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Many women find bodybuilders with outsized muscles "grotesque."

A lot of women also dislike really skinny/slim guys as well

When I weighed 140-150 pounds at 5ft8 aged 24 lots of women treated me with disrespect.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 11:17 am

Women don't have a hive mind.
Remember to work on your personality more than your muscles.

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 11:19 am

If you come across as a barfly, you will be treated like a barfly.

Jamesy
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 11:23 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
If you come across as a barfly, you will be treated like a barfly.

Yeah true

I think if you reach over a bmi of 25 even if its mostly muscle you are at higher risk of sleep apnea for instance