Why is it so hard to hide or fake emotions?

Page 1 of 1 [ 6 posts ] 

Not_Otherwize_Specified
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Nov 2022, 9:01 pm

I was trying to take a profile picture of myself for my job before and like always was struggling to make a smile that looked sincere. Iv'e never been photogentic and hate getting my picture taken because I almost always look awkward and cannot smile on command. I have not been formally diagnosed as being on the autism spectrum but speculate that I probably am (I had been re-diagnosed as an adult with ADD). My brother was diagnosed with autism at a very young age and definitely cannot fake smile well. Iv'e noticed also with many people I had known to be be on the spectrum to be unable or stuggle faking a smile or hide emotions.

Can anyone here relate to that experience? I know many people are not naturally photogenic regardless of if they are on the spectrum but I am curious if it is something that a good portion of people on the spectrum struggle with. I'm wondering if maybe a persons ability to fake emotions more effortlessly is related to their ability to empathize with others as well? I was thinking of that because it seems, from at least my experience with people, that individuals who can most easily hide their emotions tend to be people who are less empathetic. Meanwhile, many of the people iv'e felt most connected with or most heard by are people who are on the spectrum or not neurotypical and also tend to be very empathetic people.

Anyway, I hope my train of thought makes some kind of sense. I was having an inward debate with myself and just wanted to share. All my speculations are just based on my own experiences with people as well and I realize other people may have had very different experiences than mine.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2022, 9:21 pm

I can't convincingly fake a smile, especially for photo's.
I have no idea if I can fake emotions convincingly, but I've never been called out for it.
I'm also a terrible liar, almost childlike when confronted.

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

Not_Otherwize_Specified
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Nov 2022, 9:29 pm

Yes, I can relate to not being able to lie. Neither my brother or I are capable of convincingly lying.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2022, 9:32 pm

My problem is I give so many details, people think I'm lying or exaggerating when I'm not.

As for smiling: Nope, can't do it whether on command or not.

I get very irate if anyone tries to take pictures of me.

I've taken one selfie in my life.

Hence the avatar.

Doberdoofus
Veteran
Veteran

27 Nov 2022, 9:44 pm

Not_Otherwize_Specified wrote:
Yes, I can relate to not being able to lie. Neither my brother or I are capable of convincingly lying.

You might find this article enlightening https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog ... stic-woman

Don't be so eager to be offended. The narcissism of small differences leads to the most boring kind of conformity.

Not_Otherwize_Specified
Butterfly
Butterfly

27 Nov 2022, 10:57 pm

thanks for the article