Page 5 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

30 Nov 2022, 11:59 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Is it problematic to my personal valid views on feminism? I'm not sure tbh...

As long as you're not nasty to women who aren't nasty to you, I don't think there's anything to worry about.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 12:04 am

ToughDiamond wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Is it problematic to my personal valid views on feminism? I'm not sure tbh...

As long as you're not nasty to women who aren't nasty to you, I don't think there's anything to worry about.

I don't think ive ever been nasty to a woman except for the time I was experiencing a literal psychotic breakdown and attacked my mom and sister. This was before i was sent to a mental hospital and they found out i had bipolar disorder type 1 with psychotic episodes.

I very much regretted what I did. But other than that I dont think I have ever truly been intentionally disrespectful to women.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 12:45 am

^
Well, a psychotic episode is an illness, and you can't rightly be held responsible for that.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 1:37 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
When I think of this kind of racism among basically geeky white guys (frankly I have found geeks to be some of the biggest bigots of all having been into video games my whole life which are dominated by young straight white men)

Yes its not surprising, There has been a tidal wave of racist comments on social media aimed at black actors coming from anime, fantasy and science fiction genre online. As far back as 2005 when Harry Potter and the Goblet of fire was released there was a shitstorm created on early online platforms/chatrooms when Harry and Ron were dating asian girls and a lot of fans were disappointed with the direction the movies were taking. When social media was more mature then you saw facebook go wild in 2012 when the first instalment of Hunger games get released with black actors. And of course everyone knows about Star wars. The geeks are the ones driving the hate.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 1:42 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:

Oh you forgot the best ones

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 4:08 am

Ugh, self loathing white people are the f*****g worst, it's just so cringe.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 9:24 am

Quote:
Had An Epiphany On Feminism

That it's just an "ism" like every other "ism"?

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 9:27 am

r00tb33r wrote:
Quote:
Had An Epiphany On Feminism

That it's just an "ism" like every other "ism"?

What's your point Vanessa? :nerdy:

kraftiekortie
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 9:28 am

Nothing wrong with feminism.

Everything wrong with an ideology which considers all males to be potential rapists.

r00tb33r
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 9:33 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
ideology which considers all males to be potential rapists.

Oof, now that just brings back bad memories. :(

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 9:39 am

cyberdad wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
When I think of this kind of racism among basically geeky white guys (frankly I have found geeks to be some of the biggest bigots of all having been into video games my whole life which are dominated by young straight white men)

Yes its not surprising, There has been a tidal wave of racist comments on social media aimed at black actors coming from anime, fantasy and science fiction genre online. As far back as 2005 when Harry Potter and the Goblet of fire was released there was a shitstorm created on early online platforms/chatrooms when Harry and Ron were dating asian girls and a lot of fans were disappointed with the direction the movies were taking. When social media was more mature then you saw facebook go wild in 2012 when the first instalment of Hunger games get released with black actors. And of course everyone knows about Star wars. The geeks are the ones driving the hate.

I definetly agree. It's the main reason why I no longer partake in fan groups related to my favorite movies and video games anymore.

Take Resident Evil for example. Im a big fan of these games and when they came out with Resident Evil 5 there was a huge uproar about how 'racist' the game was going to be because it was set in Africa. But there was an actual investigation done into the game and they found no evidence of actual racism and assured gamers that they felt the developers were trying to present a theme of the evil way big corporations exploit third world countries in Africa by taking advantage of the locals.

But then once everybody played the game you had real racists coming out from everywhere claiming that the game basically wasnt racist enough. Saying it was "unrealistic" that the zombie-like monsters weren't all black (I gusss these people failed to realize that Africa does have some diversity in it thanks to colonialism) or claiming that the leading female character, Sheva Alomar, was only created as a last minute attempt to prove the game wasnt racist. There were even some idiots who argued that her hairstyle "wasn't typical black girl hair". :roll:

I liked the game itself for what it was but God DAYUM all the racism that came out of it not from the game itself but from the actual fans of the game. :x

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 9:40 am

kraftiekortie wrote:
Nothing wrong with feminism.

Everything wrong with an ideology which considers all males to be potential rapists.

Im definitely not a supporter of that type of feminism. I don't even think that should be labeled feminism, it's misandry wearing a feminist mask.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 11:54 am

Dox47 wrote:

Well that's one way of putting it, though I doubt it'll win hearts and minds.

But I pretty much agree with you, assuming you're talking about those cartoons. I think they're mostly indulging in the straw-man fallacy, and I don't see what good they can hope to achieve.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 12:09 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
Dox47 wrote:

But I pretty much agree with you, assuming you're talking about those cartoons. I think they're mostly indulging in the straw-man fallacy, and I don't see what good they can hope to achieve.

Except I actually know several white people in real life who act like some of these caricatures.

The geeky weeaboos who obsess on Asian women, the white Americans who brag about their VERY distant Native American ancestry, the white people who claims to have black friends, etc.

It's not much of a "strawman argument" when I see this for myself all the time where I live

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 12:55 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
ToughDiamond wrote:
Dox47 wrote:

Except I actually know several white people in real life who act like some of these caricatures.

The geeky weeaboos who obsess on Asian women, the white Americans who brag about their VERY distant Native American ancestry, the white people who claims to have black friends, etc.

It's not much of a "strawman argument" when I see this for myself all the time where I live

For me, the straw man is in the captions. For example, the one about "I've got lots of black friends" - how does the cartoon's author know what the character is thinking? Somebody could say "some of my best friends are black" as a genuine, valid defense against being wrongly called a racist. But it seems to me that meme (which I've seen in various forms on a number of blogs about race issues) seeks to gag anybody from saying that. I'd probably want to use that defense if anybody called me a racist, but it would be counter-productive because so many people would automatically think "that proves he's a racist." But if you've personally experienced people saying the things in the cartoons and seen enough of their behaviour to prove they're misrepresenting themselves, then you'll like the cartoons.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 1:33 pm

I can understand that to an extent. I mean ive only ever had 4 true friends my entire life and 3 out of 4 of them werent white. Basically i have 2 hispanic friends (one was Mexican and sadly passed in 2012 the other is from El Salvador), one who is half Japsnese, and one who is white but lives in South Africa.

But I guess the difference is that unlike the lady in that cartoon I don't brag about having friends of different racial and ethnic backgrounds as if they were some kind of award trophies to prove I'm not racist, and I don't refer to the black women who work the cash registers at Walmart as my "black friends" just because I try to be friendly and polite to them when checking out. I use the word "friends" very carefully.

Also this is something I have seen for myself that bothers me. White people who date or marry people of color and use that to claim they can't possibly be a racist all while making racist jokes or offensive comments in front of their spouse.

I have an aunt in my family who was in a relationship with a black man for many years and did exactly this. I don't understand how he put up with that for so many years?