Page 6 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 3:08 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
kraftiekortie wrote:
Nothing wrong with feminism.

Everything wrong with an ideology which considers all males to be potential rapists.

Im definitely not a supporter of that type of feminism. I don't even think that should be labeled feminism, it's misandry wearing a feminist mask.

Or a better way to describe that is toxic femininity IMHO.

ToughDiamond
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 3:14 pm

^
I lived in the UK most of my life, always in cities with large Muslim populations (over 40% in my last place) but I've never had a Muslim friend in my life, at least anybody who could be called close. I've currently got only one black friend, and even he is only black on his dad's side. We're quite close. I don't think any of that demonstrates anything about whether or not I'm a racist. As long as I don't significantly harm anybody, I feel my conscience is clear, not just in terms of racism, but in terms of everything about morality.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 3:41 pm

ToughDiamond wrote:
^
I lived in the UK most of my life, always in cities with large Muslim populations (over 40% in my last place) but I've never had a Muslim friend in my life, at least anybody who could be called close. I've currently got only one black friend, and even he is only black on his dad's side. We're quite close. I don't think any of that demonstrates anything about whether or not I'm a racist. As long as I don't significantly harm anybody, I feel my conscience is clear, not just in terms of racism, but in terms of everything about morality.

That's kinda my point. It really should not matter who one's friends are as long as they are people who are genuinely close to you, because if they really are your friends then their race, gender, religion, sexuality, etc should not matter in the least.

And I'm not saying all white people do this but some really are guilty of claiming that they have black friends either to deflect the accusations of their own insensitive behavior or because they use them almost like gold medals to prove a point that they're not racist. Either way it's wrong.

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 4:09 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
But then once everybody played the game you had real racists coming out from everywhere claiming that the game basically wasnt racist enough. Saying it was "unrealistic" that the zombie-like monsters weren't all black (I gusss these people failed to realize that Africa does have some diversity in it thanks to colonialism) or claiming that the leading female character, Sheva Alomar, was only created as a last minute attempt to prove the game wasnt racist. There were even some idiots who argued that her hairstyle "wasn't typical black girl hair". :roll:

I liked the game itself for what it was but God DAYUM all the racism that came out of it not from the game itself but from the actual fans of the game. :x

The horror genre has for several decades since the 1950s been an exercise in whitewashing. It literally wasn't till Jordan Peele wrote "Get Out", "Lovecraft Country" and "Us" in the last 5 years that you see a black character headline a horror flick, It's as if monsters, ghosts, zpmbies and aliens were racist :lol:

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 5:52 pm

cyberdad wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
But then once everybody played the game you had real racists coming out from everywhere claiming that the game basically wasnt racist enough. Saying it was "unrealistic" that the zombie-like monsters weren't all black (I gusss these people failed to realize that Africa does have some diversity in it thanks to colonialism) or claiming that the leading female character, Sheva Alomar, was only created as a last minute attempt to prove the game wasnt racist. There were even some idiots who argued that her hairstyle "wasn't typical black girl hair". :roll:

I liked the game itself for what it was but God DAYUM all the racism that came out of it not from the game itself but from the actual fans of the game. :x

The horror genre has for several decades since the 1950s been an exercise in whitewashing. It literally wasn't till Jordan Peele wrote "Get Out", "Lovecraft Country" and "Us" in the last 5 years that you see a black character headline a horror flick, It's as if monsters, ghosts, zpmbies and aliens were racist :lol:

Lol well there's also that trope about how the black character in every horror movie always dies. :lol:

And so does the blonde chick screaming her head off while running around in high heels and a short mini skirt.

So... yes. I guess I should not have been that surprised at the way these fans reacted to the game. :P

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 6:09 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
So... yes. I guess I should not have been that surprised at the way these fans reacted to the game. :P

I'm a subscriber to Star WARS THEORY and was amused when his followers were attacking the black actress who played Reeva in the "Obi Wan Kenobi" Disney + release claiming she ruined the show.

Her response was hilarious. She said something about in a universe where there is literally every type of lifeform that you can imagine, it's weird that some fans should be upset about a black female lead character? She finished with "Star wars fans are weird" :lol:

I'm a Star wars fan and I agree 100% with her

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 6:22 pm

cyberdad wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

I'm a subscriber to Star WARS THEORY and was amused when his followers were attacking the black actress who played Reeva in the "Obi Wan Kenobi" Disney + release claiming she ruined the show.

Her response was hilarious. She said something about in a universe where there is literally every type of lifeform that you can imagine, it's weird that some fans should be upset about a black female lead character? She finished with "Star wars fans are weird" :lol:

I'm a Star wars fan and I agree 100% with her

I must confess I've never been a fan of Star Wars. Not even the original movies. :lol:

Now one peice of fantasy genre that is multi-racial that I enjoyed are the Elder Scrolls video games. Theyt have many races to choose from and interact with as NPCs, some pure fantasy like elves and orcs and many humans based on the various ethnic groups in Medieval Europe. But they actually have black humans ij these games known as the Redguards which have their own backstory and are inspired by the Moores who were real life Islamic warriors hailing from North Africa that once settled in parts of Southern Europe during the Dark Ages.

So not only did these games include black people in the mix but they had a backstop that made sense and were not born out of color blindness. :)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 6:31 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Now one peice of fantasy genre that is multi-racial that I enjoyed are the Elder Scrolls video games. Theyt have many races to choose from and interact with as NPCs, some pure fantasy like elves and orcs and many humans based on the various ethnic groups in Medieval Europe. But they actually have black humans ij these games known as the Redguards which have their own backstory and are inspired by the Moores who were real life Islamic warriors hailing from North Africa that once settled in parts of Southern Europe during the Dark Ages.

Yes there's good reason to think that in LOTR, JR Tolkein based dwarves and elves on Europeans and all the "bad" creatures on Arabs, Turks and north Africans. This looked suspicious when the clearly "blonde" warriors of Rohan fought the dark orcs and their allies many of whom rode Asian war elephants.

Tolkein was heavily influenced by both myth but also history and the conflict invoked the arabic-turko-mongol invasions of Europe

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 6:51 pm

cyberdad wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

Yes there's good reason to think that in LOTR, JR Tolkein based dwarves and elves on Europeans and all the "bad" creatures on Arabs, Turks and north Africans. This looked suspicious when the clearly "blonde" warriors of Rohan fought the dark orcs and their allies many of whom rode Asian war elephants.

Tolkein was heavily influenced by both myth but also history and the conflict invoked the arabic-turko-mongol invasions of Europe

I'm a fan of Tolkien's works but I do kinda agree with these points.

Which is why I think you would have appreciated The Elder Scrolls more. Their approach to the different fantasy races is very from Tolkien's portrayel as no race is presented as being all good or all evil. Not even the orcs are "evil". Each race has its own past sins from everything from slavery to genocide to colonialism, much like the real world.

They even handled racism and prejudice in a way that reflects on our world. But in a way it's filtered by the fact that these are fantasy races. The elves, humans, orcs, and beastfolk all cannot stand each other. Though you also have many who are friendly with each other.

I think you would just have to play the games and check out some of the lore to get an idea of what I'm saying. The fact that the orcs were not all presented as evil like the ones in Lord of the Rings was a big plus to me because I always felt sympathy for the orcs. :)

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 7:35 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Which is why I think you would have appreciated The Elder Scrolls more. Their approach to the different fantasy races is very from Tolkien's portrayel as no race is presented as being all good or all evil. Not even the orcs are "evil". Each race has its own past sins from everything from slavery to genocide to colonialism, much like the real world.

Sounds cool. I'm a big fan of the Star wars Universe as seen through the eyes of George Lucas as well. Lucas (unlike Tolkien) didn't create a dichotomy of good and bad. His universe there was a wide range of alien beings of every shape, size and power. They were all capable of being force users and all capable of falling to the dark side. Even within individual characters there is personal growth (in the case of Luke) and their fall to darkness and redemption (Anniken). Lucas did make humans front and centre in many of his stories because he still needed to make them relatable to us (a human audience) but watching galactic senate, all manner of beings and life forms participated equally in the running of the galaxy far far away.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 7:43 pm

That does sound interesting actually. Honestly the only two reasons why I never really liked Star Wars was because a) I'm not a fan of spaceships and aliens and b) I always felt sorry for those Stormtroopers getting mercilessly slaughtered by both the heroes and their leader Darth Vader.

The thing about mooks and henchmen of the villains being treated so callously by both sides always bothers me for some reason. :|

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 8:34 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I always felt sorry for those Stormtroopers getting mercilessly slaughtered by both the heroes and their leader Darth Vader.

Yes the stromtroopers were clones of one of the most skilled marksmen in the universe named Jango Fett. It never made sense how they could be trained clones of Fett yet not be able to hit a target standing several feet away :lol:

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 8:35 pm

cyberdad wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I always felt sorry for those Stormtroopers getting mercilessly slaughtered by both the heroes and their leader Darth Vader.

Yes the stromtroopers were clones of one of the most skilled marksmen in the universe named Jango Fett. It never made sense how they could be trained clones of Fett yet not be able to hit a target standing several feet away :lol:

Lol that's the power of Hollywood :lol:

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 8:37 pm

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
The thing about mooks and henchmen of the villains being treated so callously by both sides always bothers me for some reason. :|

There's a lot of fantasy genre that draws upon medieval Europe for inspiration. Invariably there are tropes/streotypes that play out. Trolls are never going to be portrayed in a good light. Flaxen haired maidens will always be the booty the knight needs to save from some firebreathing dragon, ogre (I loved Shrek BTW) or dark bearded wizard with red eyes.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 8:52 pm

cyberdad wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

There's a lot of fantasy genre that draws upon medieval Europe for inspiration. Invariably there are tropes/streotypes that play out. Trolls are never going to be portrayed in a good light. Flaxen haired maidens will always be the booty the knight needs to save from some firebreathing dragon, ogre (I loved Shrek BTW) or dark bearded wizard with red eyes.

Yeah I know... which is why I loved The Elder Scrolls games because you have the freedom to be any kind of character you want. You could play as an Orc and be a noble knight who wants to prove that all Orcs are not bad (there actually were a couple of orcs like this in Oblivion. A gladiator champion named The Grey Prince and a female orc knight named Mazoga.)

Or you could be a more sinister character and play as a dark evil witch who brews magic potions and poisons from ingredients found in the wild and enchants her own powerful trinkets and weapons. While praying to some of the darker Daedric Princes like Namira the Goddess of Rot. :skull:

Like you can play as any of the races and make any kind of character you want. Maybe buy a house? In Skyrim you can get married and adopt children. Etc

You also have the potential of becoming a vampire or werewolf or you could roleplay as a hunter of vampires and werewolves (and maybe dark witches like my character? :lol: )

You can be a warrior, a mage, a thief, an assassin, or something in between all of these.

And you get to learn so much about the world of Nirn by reading tons of in-game books focusing on the lore and such. :D

cyberdad
Veteran
Veteran

01 Dec 2022, 9:03 pm

Elves are probably where Tolkein added his own spin. While in Anglo-Saxon folklore elves could appear as beautiful nymphs, often dwelling near brooks and streams, they often were tricksters who lured men to their doom. They were also dwellers of the underworld in Scandananvian and Anglo-Saxon myth and not friends of man. The lore is so strong that elvin goblins are still believed to dwell underground in Iceland where locals really believe they exist and they claim to sight them the same way Americans sight bigfoot.