Page 1 of 7 [ 110 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 12:17 am

I know people define feminism in different ways. I always considered myself to be a feminist because I admire strong women and always have since I was a kid.

But as a man I think the issue with my personal attitudes towards women lately is that I have tried too hard to put all women on top of this ridiculous pedestal where to me they are all goddesses and amazons. Which in a way is actually insulting to feminism when you really think about it...

Anyways i think what I am realizing is that the best way for a man to be a true supporter of feminism is not to try to turn every woman into an all-powerful goddess or amazon warrior (and definetly not to assume that any woman being a bully is equated with true empowerment), but to simply acknowledge the many real problems women face in society and to just have empathy for them. Because it seems to me like the problem in our society is that too many men really don't have empathy for women and they don't even bother to try because it's the kind of thing that gets looked down on by other men.

So anyways for me personally I think I'm going to try to accept that women are neither goddesses nor are they all amazons ready to pick up a weapon to fight. They are just people, just as human as my gender but built differently.

What do you guys think? Especially the women on WP?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 12:37 am

I read your first paragraph and wanted to say "Why do you only admire strong women?"

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 12:38 am

Just treat them the same as anyone else, no better and no worse.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 12:40 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:

Sentiments like that are why I despise feminists and woke types generally, claim to be fighting for "equality" while coming up with new ways to divide us, I'll be happy to consign them to the ash heap of history in the figurative if not literal sense.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 12:46 am

Where did I say I ONLY admire strong women, and so what if I do? I was raised by a very capable single mother who was a bigger influence on my life than any man. She filled the roles of both nurturer and provider in my life and she survived rape and abuse.

But you guys are trying to put me down for admiring strength in women when I had a very positive female role model in my life? Yeah whatever...

Oh and for the record, there are plenty of nasty women in this world too who don't deserve respect or admiration.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 12:49 am

Dox47 wrote:
IsabellaLinton wrote:

Sentiments like that are why I despise feminists and woke types generally, claim to be fighting for "equality" while coming up with new ways to divide us, I'll be happy to consign them to the ash heap of history in the figurative if not literal sense.

I know you ain't calling me woke. I guess haters like you two are always gonna hate huh?

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 12:49 am

I'm not putting anyone down. ^
My point is that I had the same thought you did, at the end of your first paragraph.

The meme is also to support what you were saying.

And Dox,
I'm confused.
I agree with you.
I generally don't use words like feminism either.
I consider myself an egalitarian.
I think that's the point of the quote.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 12:51 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
I guess haters like you two are always gonna hate huh?

I'm a hater?

LMAO Are you OK?
Need a joint? A shot of whiskey? A vaycay?
How can I help?

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 12:53 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
And Dox,
I'm confused.
I agree with you.
I generally don't use words like feminism either.
I consider myself an egalitarian.
I think that's the point of the quote.

It's the "with us or you're a bigot" framing that I object to, I'm increasingly willing to just say "welp than I guess I'm a bigot" when confronted with that style of rhetoric.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 12:54 am

Dox47 wrote:
Just treat them the same as anyone else, no better and no worse.

Exactly. Judge people by the content of their heart rather than the content of their panties.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 12:54 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:
Where did I say I ONLY admire strong women, and so what if I do? I was raised by a very capable single mother who was a bigger influence on my life than any man. She filled the roles of both nurturer and provider in my life and she survived rape and abuse.

But you guys are trying to put me down for admiring strength in women when I had a very positive female role model in my life? Yeah whatever...

Oh and for the record, there are plenty of nasty women in this world too who don't deserve respect or admiration.

You're overthinking this, just treat everyone about the same and you'll be fine.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 12:55 am

I guess I got confused because of all the flame bait dox has been posting everywhere else... maybe im having one of my 'crazy' paranoid times again? I honestly dont know.

My sincerest apologies for that...

But anyways I'm not afraid to identify as a feminist, but I think my views are more old school. Or at least I'm discovering that they should be.

Dox47
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 12:57 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
Exactly. Judge people by the content of their heart rather than the content of their panties.

There's a podcaster who I enjoy who deliberately mocks the crudity of race and gender identifiers by referring to people by "what's in their pants and what color is it?", kinda brings home how dumb the whole thing is.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 12:57 am

Dox47 wrote:

It's the "with us or you're a bigot" framing that I object to, I'm increasingly willing to just say "welp than I guess I'm a bigot" when confronted with that style of rhetoric.

If a person judges others by their gender or thinks "people who respect women" aren't "normal", then they SHOULD be called a bigot. That being said you aren't a bigot at all. Last I checked you respect all people unless they're boneheads.

IsabellaLinton
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 1:03 am

DeathFlowerKing wrote:

But anyways I'm not afraid to identify as a feminist, but I think my views are more old school. Or at least I'm discovering that they should be.

There's nothing to say a feminist can't have old school views, or like dresses, or like gender roles, or like being housewives, or like baking cookies, cleaning house, and having babies.

The point is that women should be free to make that choice themselves.

Everyone can be whoever the **** they want to be.

DeathFlowerKing
Veteran
Veteran

28 Nov 2022, 1:09 am

IsabellaLinton wrote:
DeathFlowerKing wrote:

There's nothing to say a feminist can't have old school views, or like dresses, or like gender roles, or like being housewives, or like baking cookies, cleaning house, and having babies.

The point is that women should be free to make that choice themselves.

Everyone can be whoever the **** they want to be.

And I never said they shouldn't. My mom has pretty much taught me the same, that feminism is about ALL about choice.

And for the record I'm not of the belief that femininity automatically equals "weakness". A woman can wear make-up and choose a dress and heels over flats and pants and still be strong in her own way.