Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

QuietOne1989
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

28 Nov 2022, 4:12 pm

Are the games on Switch any good? I've always been a fan since I was a kid but haven't played any of the games since Pokémon Silver.

MOONTRIPS
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Nov 2022, 4:09 am

hello yes I'm a Pokemon fan
but I'm not a fan of the modern games. I did play Sun on the 3DS and it wasn't the worst experience, but Pokemon's transition to 3D has been... rough, to say the least. at least that's how I feel. I get that even 2D Pokemon looked pretty barren in battle and all, but in 3D it just looks more barren. and I am not a fan.
I'd recommend looking up some gameplay. whether the newer games are good or not is not really a consistent opinion.
I was tempted to get into my overall feelings about modern Pokemon, but I won't, as I don't want to potentially start any debates.

usagibryan
Toucan
Toucan

29 Nov 2022, 12:37 pm

I don't really like the newer games, but the remakes on the switch are really good. I wasn't expecting to like Let's Go Pikachu nearly as much as I did, it's a really fun and nostalgic adaption of the Kanto era games. The Diamond/Pearl remakes look beautiful too.

MOONTRIPS wrote:
I was tempted to get into my overall feelings about modern Pokemon, but I won't, as I don't want to potentially start any debates.

I'd be curious to hear your thoughts, because I don't really like modern Pokemon either but it's hard for me to articulate why. I may just have nostalgia goggles.

btw I feel like HMs have never been handled properly. It should have been an ability your Pokemon can do outside of their regular moveset, so that it doesn't take up a move, and is appropriate to their type (your Pidgeotto can fly, your Lapras can surf, etc) once you get the appropriate badge. I like the idea of having to use a variety of Pokemon to navigate your environment. Instead they reacted to the criticism by just eliminating HMs altogether or made it so a wild pokemon shows up and does the thing (Diamond/Pearl remake).

"The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age"

MOONTRIPS
Tufted Titmouse
Tufted Titmouse

29 Nov 2022, 4:27 pm

usagibryan wrote:
I'd be curious to hear your thoughts, because I don't really like modern Pokemon either but it's hard for me to articulate why. I may just have nostalgia goggles.

well, you asked, and so I guess I'm obligated to answer! I was feeling a bit more annoyed about it last night but my head's clearer now and so hopefully what I say doesn't make anyone mad hahaaaaaaaa
but Pokemon feels like it's mostly just a cash cow at this point. the Scarlet/Violet release seems to have been so majorly rushed. I understand that not everyone is experiencing the same issues with the games, but the fact that there are so many various issues documented by players is a problem.
I'm very sad that something I still like so much is kinda just being milked now. super diehard fans still enjoy the games, and that's ok! I am not a super diehard fan.
I don't blame any certain set of people. I've heard from many that the releases are rushed out for merch sales... I have no idea if that's true or what the source could be. there's also this post on twitter, which we oughta take with a grain of salt, but seems to be a reasonable explanation for part of why things are... the way they are: https://twitter.com/SNick_WT/status/1594562640419889152
Pokemon design direction has taken many turns over time, and I'm not gonna insult something that may be someone's favorite... but I can say that personally, so few designs from Sword/Shield and Scarlet/Violet have appealed to me. but I also don't think much of most 6th gen Pokemon.
and, like I said, Pokemon in 3D just feels too barren. at least outside of towns and such. and I get that mostly, compared to 2D it's really not that different fundamentally. but in 2D you at least had the illusion of fuller areas thanks to sprites and everything being more condensed.

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

29 Nov 2022, 8:07 pm

The last time I enjoyed a Pokemon game was in primary school. I have always found the series to be excessively cute/childish.

I tend to like video games more on the dark, violent or generally adult side.

Lukario
Veteran
Veteran

09 Dec 2022, 7:56 am

I started my Pokemon career in the late 1990's and I like most generations except sun moon, a reason for it is that those games lack gyms and maybe elite four.

Kolica
Butterfly
Butterfly

14 Dec 2022, 3:37 pm

I am a pokemon fan, but I only played the retro games gen 1 2 and a 3. I got to play a lot in the competitive scene (all generations) thanks to pokemon showdown.

Stardragon94
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jan 2023, 10:14 am

I love Pokémon I play all the games old and new

Stardragon94
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

16 Jan 2023, 10:20 am

Sun and moon has elite 4 and champion in it but only 4 people to beat first to get there.

ThePokemonFangirl1998
Emu Egg
Emu Egg

06 Aug 2023, 1:20 am

I'm a Pokémon fan, too! I prefer to play Pokémon games, with my hours of playtime beats non-Pokémon games I play. My favorite was a Lugia.

Uncle Sucker went to town, red as packs of roses
Everybody saw him and they run off into the oblivion
Uncle Sucker isn't scary, Uncle Sucker is friendly
People who are nice of him cuz he tried to come to hug them!

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2023, 9:42 pm

I have never been a big Pokémon fan in general, but I really enjoyed the first games on the original gameboy, back in the day.

Pokémon yellow was where it was at.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2023, 9:47 pm

Yep. I have an Eevee Build-A-Bear plush and a Snorlax plush. I have two or three of the games and plan to buy more. Also play Pokemon Go off and on

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2023, 9:47 pm

colliegrace wrote:
Yep. I have an Eevee Build-A-Bear plush and a Snorlax plush. I have two or three of the games and plan to buy more. Also play Pokemon Go off and on

I remember Snorlax! Haha.

colliegrace
Veteran
Veteran

16 Aug 2023, 9:54 pm

blitzkrieg wrote:
colliegrace wrote:

The plush is delightful, just the right squishiness and softness, perfect for cuddling and comfort esp after having a meltdown

Also diagnosed with: seasonal depression, anxiety, OCD

blitzkrieg
Veteran
Veteran

17 Aug 2023, 12:06 pm

colliegrace wrote:
blitzkrieg wrote:
colliegrace wrote:

The plush is delightful, just the right squishiness and softness, perfect for cuddling and comfort esp after having a meltdown

That sounds nice. :)

NibiruMul
Pileated woodpecker
Pileated woodpecker

01 Dec 2023, 7:16 pm

I am a HUGE Pokemon fan. I've played all the main series games, I draw Pokemon fanart on a regular basis, and I even have Pokemon plushies. Currently I'm playing Pokemon Violet and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

Unlike a lot of people my age, I actually like the newer games more than the older ones. I feel like there's more stuff to do, the characters are more interesting, and there's lots more Pokemon to catch.

My favorite Pokemon is Spheal.